Potato Scientist (18-69)
New Delhi (India)
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 18-69 PS/GRS/INDIA
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic, motivated and results-oriented Potato Scientist to lead the potato research of CIP in collaboration with its partners in Asian countries. The scientist will be a team member of the Asia Potato Program. He/she will lead the screening of CIP elite clones, support national programs in variety release and improvements in national seed systems, and conduct research on sustainable climate smart potato cultivation practices and the intensification and diversification of cropping systems with potato to increase overall system productivity and food security of small-scale farming households.
About the role:
The Potato Scientist will be responsible for leading the potato research and development activities in Asian countries. The candidate should be driven by the desire to achieve impact on food security and poverty reduction through high quality research conducted in close coordination with national partners. His/her engagement will beto provide technical support to national programs to evaluateCIPeliteclones under different environmental conditions and to provide the data base for successful variety release. Further, the candidate will contribute to understand the constraints of current seed systems and will provide the technical guidance for the use of state-of-the-art potato seed technologies adequate to the specific state or country conditions. In addition, he/she will develop and test climate smart innovations in potato production and protection thereby contributing to sustainable intensification and diversification of rice and wheat-based production systems, including post-harvest research and management. The candidatewilldirectlysuperviseandfurtherbuildaninterdisciplinarynationalteamofresearches.Besides technical excellence the position requires sound project management skills and experiences; and the incumbent will be accountable for administrative and technical management and reporting towards achieving pre-defined outputs.
The position will be based in New Delhi, India in an international research environment and will report to CIP’sCountryManagerofIndiaandco-reporttotheAsiaPotato Program Leader.Thisisaninternationally recruited position that will work closely with other science teams at CIP’s headquarter in Lima, Peru. The assignment will include frequent travel within India and the region.
• Lead a team of scientists and conduct research with partners in varietal selection, seed systems, sustainable climate smart potato cultivation practices, integrated pest and on-farm post-harvest management.
• Provide intellectual leadership for the design and implementation of operational research to determine opportunities and constraints for agricultural innovations.
• Provide quality control of work plans and establish flexible and accountable processes for timely planning and delivery of research outputs and outcomes, and reporting.
• Publishandcommunicateresearchresultsthroughhighimpactscientificjournals,participationin scientific conferences, and using social media and other outlets.
• Developconceptnotesandproposalsforstrategicresearchtobuildandmaintainagoodportfolio of bilateral funded projects and activities. • Establish and maintain good communication links with international and state government partners to ensure effective and integrated implementation of research activities. Build and
manage a productive partnership with relevant CGIAR centers.
What are we looking for?
• PhD degree in Agricultural Sciences or related disciplines.
• A minimum of 10 years’ experience in potato research.
• Excellent knowledge of potato in most of the relevant areas (variety assessments, seed systems,
agronomy, plant protection, and post-harvest management).
• Relevant publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
• Experience in experimental design, and field experimentation; excellent statistical, computer and
data management skills.
• Experience in project management and administration.
• Strong communication and networking skills; interest and demonstrated ability to work in a
multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; knowledge of other Asian languages
would be an asset.
• Strong team player, self-motivated, goal-oriented and committed to shared goals.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
• CIP is a global leader in research and development in potato and other root and tuber crops with
a strong track-record in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
• CIP is a recent World Food Prize Winner, and CIP has been recently awarded theAl-Sumait Award
for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
• CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender
equality for poor people in the developing world.
• CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a global network of 15 international research centers
supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are we offering?
• Great career opportunity in an international organization.
• Salary is internationally competitive, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
• Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
• Attractive retirement plan.
• Three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
• Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
How to apply?
Visit the following link: http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V.
the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are
particularly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: New Delhi (India)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Scientist and Researcher
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Closing Date: 2018-09-07