VN 2018/191 (P) - Programme Engineer (P3) - Tripoli, Libya
Position Title Programme Engineer
Duty Station : Tripoli, Libya
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 14 August 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, and the direct supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission in coordination with department heads and Project Managers, and relevant units in Headquarters and Regional Office in Cairo, the successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation of the activities related to the engineering project works for the various programs of IOM Libya.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Responsible for the planning, project controls and field supervision of engineering project works under various programmes of the mission.
2. Coordinate all technical design and specification for any kind of construction, including water supply, sanitation and monitoring the quality standard, interfacing issues with IOM project management team and field engineers including technical aspects supervision, contractors, suppliers and stakeholders under his/her area of expertise.
3. Prepare detailed refurbishment and implementation plans of engineering project works for all departments in the mission including community stabilization, rehabilitation of infrastructure to Page 1 / 4improve the reception and conditions of migrants as well as border facilities which clearly establish cost estimates, activities, milestones, implementation phases and timeframes. 4. Develop a detailed and clear risk management plan for rehabilitation projects taking account of the local operating environment, and any local issues relevant to each site. 5. Ensure compliance with all relevant IOM guidelines regarding tendering procedures, contractor selection and supervision and monitoring of works.
6. Oversee the Quality Assurance (QA) / Quality Control (QC) monitoring of all project work activities during construction, i.e. materials / products are factory tested (FAT) and site tested(SAT), overall testing and testing and commissioning, and through substantial completion handover of the engineering project.
7. Ensure that document controls for engineering work including communication records with contractors/stakeholders are well maintained
8. Supervise IOM field engineering and rehabilitation project monitoring staff members 9. Prepare reports as needed on the status of project implementation. Prepare and maintain site diary report on contractor performance as well as periodic reports on the status of the project; ensure the document controls of work related records.
10. Participate in and contribute to project level coordination meetings with relevant IOM staff members, contractors and stakeholders, including WASH UN cluster
11. Responsible for the overall review of progress payment application by contractors for work completed conforms to the design intent, specifications and method statements 12. Interface with local municipalities and local community management committees on all aspects of project implementation particularly in relation to problems encountered during the implementation of the project.
13. Report any project difficulties/problems in construction process and activities, along with possible solutions to these problems, to Deputy Chief of Mission
14. Undertake duty travel as needed to assist with monitoring and supervision of refurbishment works.
15. In coordination with Deputy Chief of Mission, liaise and meet with relevant donors on a regular basis to share progress reports and challenges encountered.
16. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Civil Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in construction engineering including projects related to civil works, public services, office buildings, road construction, industrial buildings etc.;
• Full Working Knowledge of AutoCAD required;
Page 2 / 4• Significant experience as onsite field manager of rapid set up projects and in design of community projects;
• Previous experience in humanitarian projects;
• Extensive work experience in the field of migration and refugee assistance in post-conflict zones and in a high-risk environment. Ability to supervise, direct, coach and mentor staff. Drive for results and with effective resource management skills;
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Understanding of complex social-political environments;
• Ability to work under extreme pressure in difficult conditions while maintaining security awareness;
• Flexibility and focus on processes and their improvements;
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and Arabic is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
system, by 14 August 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 08.08.2018 to 14.08.2018
Requisition: VN 2018/191 (P) - Programme Engineer (P3) - Tripoli, Libya (55605704) Released Posting: Posting NC55605705 (55605705) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Tripoli (Lebanon)
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-14