Livelihoods Project Technical Officer (National Position)
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC in Iraq
The unfolding crisis in Iraq is one of the most complex humanitarian emergencies in the world today, with millions of uprooted Iraqis, and hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees. For the past several years, millions of people have been displaced from and within Iraq as a result of military operations. At the end of 2015, the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) began a military operation to enter and retake control of parts of the country under the control of armed opposition groups, especially in the Anbar governorate. Civilians have been caught in the crossfire.
NRC has been present in Iraq since 2010, with offices located in Baghdad, Erbil, Dohuk, Kirkuk, and Mosul. We have scaled up our response across Iraq to meet the large-scale crisis facing the country, reaching Iraqis with emergency assistance and supporting Syrian refugees as they live in exile. Our goal is to always be prepared to work in new settings, so we are establishing more local partnerships in Iraq. Additionally, NRC is part of the UNICEF and WFP-led Rapid response mechanism (RRM), which enables us to reach newly displaced populations with the most urgent life-saving assistance.
Today, NRC is one of the biggest cash providers in Iraq. Our emergency assistance also includes distributing food rations, hygiene kits, water and basic non-food items (NFIs). In the winter months, we also provide blankets and heaters. We pay particular attention to gender equality and ending gender-based violence (GBV).
Livelihoods Technical Officer - Dohuk
The purpose of the technical officer position is to ensure day to day implementation of the Livelihoods Project for NRC’s Dohuk office, covering the governorate as well as Baashiqa and Zummar located in Ninawa. The role includes contributing to specific technical livelihoods programme components.
Role Specific Information
- Implement market assessments questionnaires.
- Conduct service provider mapping and assessments.
- Establish a strong working relationship with targeted communities, including local leaders and identification of local focal points.
- Implement beneficiary targeting and verification process for various activity streams.
- Implement/support beneficiary registrations.
- Support partners/contractors/trainers to implement business-focused training programmes.
- Implement or support partner implementation of community-based soft-skills training programmes.
- Implement the NRC Community Engagement Approach.
- Conduct Focus Group Discussions, household surveys, and Key Informant Interviews, with assistants and enumerators.
- Map financial service providers and implement questionnaires/surveys.
- Support training and give guidance to field enumerators and assistants.
- Support with referrals to other NRC sectors or through external referral mechanisms.
Our Ideal Candidate:
A university graduate in a relevant field(s) with Previous experience working as a project technical officer in a humanitarian/recovery context and experience working in complex and volatile environments.in addition to that an experience with specific livelihoods technical activities including business development and business support training. Good knowledge of English language and fluency in Kurdish and Arabic languages. Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct is essential.
Contract period: 12 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Dohuk
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
For more information, please find the attached job description.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Dohuk (Iraq)
- Grade: Mid level
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Project and Programme Management
- Food Security, Livestock and Livelihoods
- Closing Date: 2018-08-21