Livelihoods Project Coordinator (National Position)
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC in Iraq
The unfolding crisis in Iraq is one of the most complex humanitarian emergencies in the world today, with millions of uprooted Iraqis, and hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees. For the past several years, millions of people have been displaced from and within Iraq as a result of military operations. At the end of 2015, the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) began a military operation to enter and retake control of parts of the country under the control of armed opposition groups, especially in the Anbar governorate. Civilians have been caught in the crossfire.
NRC has been present in Iraq since 2010, with offices located in Baghdad, Erbil, Dohuk, Kirkuk, and Mosul. We have scaled up our response across Iraq to meet the large-scale crisis facing the country, reaching Iraqis with emergency assistance and supporting Syrian refugees as they live in exile. Our goal is to always be prepared to work in new settings, so we are establishing more local partnerships in Iraq. Additionally, NRC is part of the UNICEF and WFP-led Rapid response mechanism (RRM), which enables us to reach newly displaced populations with the most urgent life-saving assistance.
Today, NRC is one of the biggest cash providers in Iraq. Our emergency assistance also includes distributing food rations, hygiene kits, water and basic non-food items (NFIs). In the winter months, we also provide blankets and heaters. We pay particular attention to gender equality and ending gender-based violence (GBV).
Livelihoods Project Coordinator- Dohuk
The purpose of the Livelihoods Coordinator position is to implement delegated aspects of the Livelihoods CC project portfolio for NRC’s Dohuk office, covering the governorate as well as Baashiqa and Zummar located in Ninawa.
Role Specific Information
- Oversee market assessments, mapping, and contribute to the analysis.
- Support PM to develop linkages with relevant service providers.
- Establish a strong working relationship with targeted communities, including local leaders and identification of local focal points.
- Contribute to design and implementation of appropriate business-focused training programmes.
- Contribute to design and implementation of community-based soft-skills training programmes.
- Apply the NRC Community Engagement Approach and hold staff to account.
- Oversight of targeting and verification approach for various activity streams.
- Support identification of financial service provider(s).
- Support on the development and use of internal and external referral mechanisms.
Our Ideal Candidate:
A university graduate in a relevant field(s) with minimum 3 years of experience from a project implementation and/or management position in a humanitarian/recovery context and experience working in complex and volatile environments. Fluency in English language as well as proficiency with in Kurdish and Arabic languages required. Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct is essential.
Contract period: 12 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Dohuk
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
For more information, please find the attached job description.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Dohuk (Iraq)
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Project and Programme Management
- Food Security, Livestock and Livelihoods
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-08-23