Head of Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
Background Information - Job-specific
The Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC) was established in 1990 and mandated by name in United Nations General Assembly resolution A/RES/45/181.The WSSCC Secretariat is hosted by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) and aims to accelerate the achievement of sustainable sanitation, hygiene and water services for all people, with special attention to the unserved poor, by enhancing collaboration and coordination of all sector stakeholders. The WSSCC Secretariat is located in Geneva, Switzerland. More information on WSSCC can be found on the website at www.wsscc.org.The Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting (PMER) Unit is a small team reporting to the Executive Director and has a key mandate to leads the design and implementation of both monitoring and evaluation frameworks that tracks Council delivery against corporate goals and objectives. Working in close collaboration with the Programme Division, the Head of PMER leads the collation and analysis of compelling organizational data and evidence that informs future investment decisions by the Executive Director and Steering Committee achievement toward the long term strategic goals by the SDG deadline of 2030.
- Provide assistance to the Programme Director/Deputy Executive Director to ensure:
- monitoring is sufficiently aligned with the changing needs of programming (including any donor conditionality); and the overall direction of the organisation
- an efficient annual work planning processes
- timely development and preparation of a the WSSCC strategic plan and associated monitoring i.e. mid-term and end term reviews)
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Design and manage the monitoring and evaluation framework for WSSCC with valid and reliable performance indicators and targets for the Council
- Support management in the design and implementation of performance reporting including the appropriate information, disaggregation, and visualizations to provide senior management & governance bodies with a holistic view of performance
- Provide leadership to all units on the role of M&E in effective programme management and accountability, ensuring meaningful integration of evidence generated through M&E systems and processes with reporting and performance management
- Coordinate analysis to identify areas of underperformance, including overseeing rigorous analysis of KPIs and engage with senior managers and unit heads to support utilization of data for programme course correction
- Provide guidance to the Programme Division to strengthen monitoring and evaluation capacity in the implementation of country engagement plans.
- Provide technical oversight and quality assurance to regional units in verifying country program results through harmonised and statistically rigorous programme outcome surveys.
- Provide upon request technical support in the countries efforts to monitor and verify their progress in achieving voluntary national targets towards SDG 6.2.
- Manage external programme evaluations and support the development of management responses to identify corrective course of action at the appropriate level within the organisation.
- Undertake periodic review of the implementation and operation of the monitoring and evaluation system(s); including the preparation of good practices and lessons learned
- Develop learning initiatives that enhances capacity of the M&E Unit as well as M&E capacity across the organisation.
- Inputs into corporate/donor reporting, and ensures consistency of data and information presented across reports developed in the organisation
- Contributes materials to communicate the organization’s performance to external stakeholders
Masters degree in international development, or public health, or monitoring and evaluation, or environmental sciences, or social sciences or information science, or statistics or public policy, or business administration or related fields is required.
Minimum seven years of professional working experience in monitoring and evaluation or results management and strategic planning or related fields is required.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French is desirable.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long-term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. A role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. Acts as a positive leadership role model motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates an understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Demonstrated ability to detect, analyze and report on both qualitative and quantitative data and information
- Experience in performance and information management
- Ability to write clearly and convincingly, adapting style and content to different audiences and speak clearly and convincingly;
- Strong presentation skills in meetings with the ability to adapt to different audiences;
- Strong analytical, research and writing skills with demonstrated ability to think strategically;
- Demonstrated competence in quantitative and qualitative monitoring systems, analysis and reporting and communications.
- Sound knowledge of project design, implementation, oversight, and supervision.
- Excellent skills in database design, development and maintenance for complex global programmes.
- Demonstrated competence in quantitative and qualitative analysis, including statistical approaches.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: ICS11 / P4
Contract duration:One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability.
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Geneva (Switzerland)
- Grade: P-4, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Operations and Administrations
- Communication and Public Information
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Documentation and Information Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-08-22