Livestock Trainee-One vacancy based in Kotido (Open to Ugandan Nationals Only)
Kotido (Uganda) | uganda
The USAID-funded Karamoja Food and Nutrition Security Activity - APOLOU, is program focused on improving the food and nutrition security of most vulnerable households in Kaabong, Kotido, Moroto, and Amudat districts of Karamoja. To realize this goal, the Activity’s purposes are grounded in social and behavior change; and support gender-transformative and resilience outcomes:
- Inclusive and effective governance contributes to food and Nutrition security
- Improved health and nutritional status of pregnant and lactating women, children under five, and adolescent girls
- Improved WASH conditions
- Adolescent girls, adolescent boys, women and men access diverse and secure livelihoods through improved capacities and strengthened market systems.
The agriculture sector of the Apolou livelihood interventions are geared towards improving farmer incomes at household level by tapping into the opportunities in the agro inputs/output markets through sustainable market linkages, and creating a community-led Ag Extension system tailored to the Karamoja context. Mercy Corps Apolou in collaboration with the local government and Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Industry and Fishery designed a community-led extension approach using using agriculture village agents who will be operationalized as a private agriculture extension service providers.
§ In the course of the Graduate trainee program, graduate trainee’s will get an opportunity to translate their knowledge and skill gained from school into the real-world
§ During the 12-month program, the trainee will have the opportunities to work alongside with Livestock technical experts and senior managers and take part in the livestock value chain improvement initiatives of Apolou to tackle critical issues facing the Livestock sector in Karamoja region
§ During the Graduate trainee period, the graduate trainee will enhance her/his community dialogue and mobilization skills
§ In the course of the Graduate trainee program, trainees will develop proficiency in written and oral communication skills for professional audiences such as co-workers, government stakeholders and non-professional audiences like community stakeholders/beneficiaries.
§ Trainees will gain hands on experience in sensitization of farmers for adoption of behaviors and practices (e.g Herd health) geared towards improved food and Nutrition security, with insight of the adult education approach/ Extension methodologies
§ In the Graduate trainee programing, trainees will enhance her/his knowledge and skill on work plan development, report writing and primary data collection
GRADUATE TRAINEE’S RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrate the capacity to understand the experience and perspectives of other people and use this as a basis for productive relationships
- Promote herd health at the community level
- Work with community animal health workers and PVPs in the herd health program
- Supervise and participate in the herd health program
- Participate in identifying training needs, production constraints and devising ways forward
- Prepare timely monthly progress report by providing data to support tasks accomplished in the work plan and submit to livestock Manager
- Participate in sector meetings,
- Coordinate and work closely with the district production department and sub-county authorities to ensure they are informed about the program activities through courtesy visits to the sub-county headquarters of program operation and production department at the districts
- Support the Livestock sector in the overall implementation of all livestock activities, participate in the development of follow on activities and perform any other task as required.
- Actively participate in Apolou Livestock sector work planning, budgeting, implementation and monitoring of progress
- Mobilize and facilitate the engagements of stakeholders during planning and development meetings, workshops and other fora
- Write up accurate and timely reports pertaining to all planned activities in the required format and submit to the Livestock Manager
- Document and maintain records pertaining to training, production activities forward issues to management for decisions and appropriate action in line with Mercy Corps policies
IDEAL CANDIDATE SHOULD POSSESS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Veterinary medicine, Animal production or a closely related field and should have graduated at most 2 years ago
- Should have excellent command of English Language, both verbal and Written, and proficiency in Ng’akaramojong, Pokot and Swahili is desired
- Should be a self-starter, able to work in teams and independently, proactive and open to learning
- He/She must be willing to work in rural settings in Karamoja region and interact freely with the program clients.
- Excellent communication skills
- Energetic and eager to tackle new projects and ideas.
- Flexibility and desirous to take on additional roles and responsibilities as opportunities and needs arise
- Knowledge of the local environment and fluency in languages like Pokot, Kiswahili and Ngarikaramajong will be an added advantage
Kotido is secure with access to basic amenities. The position is based in Kotido district and the incumbent will spend part of the week there but the position requires up to (60%) travel within the Kaabong, Moroto and Amudat districts of the Apolou operations areas in Karamoja region.
Mercy Corps graduate trainee and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Ethics and Integrity
All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to a disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
Applications: Submit your application through email to email@example.com addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Mercy Corps Uganda. Include a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates. Deadline for Submission: Close of business on Tuesday, 21st August, 2018. Subject of email should include the position you are applying for.** Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: Mercy Corps
- Location: Kotido (Uganda) | uganda
- Grade: Junior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Project and Programme Management
- Food Security, Livestock and Livelihoods
- Closing Date: 2018-08-21