National Consultant for Development of ToR for Flood Risk Management Plans
Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) is a middle-income country which is still recovering from the 1992-1995 war which had a devastating impact on its human, social and economic resources, leading to enormous challenges of the post-war reconstruction and economic and social recovery. This challenge has been further compounded by the transition towards market economy requiring structural reforms and improved governance. The slow rate of the post-war economic recovery of Bosnia and Herzegovina has been compounded by the negative impacts of climate change on key sectors such as agriculture, energy (hydropower), the environment and, in particular, the frequency and magnitude of flood disasters, which have tripled in frequency in the last decade. In May 2014, Bosnia and Herzegovina experienced its worst flooding in 150 years which resulted in 23 deaths and $2.7 Billion USD worth of damages which is 15% of GDP, and is expected to result in a 1.1 percent contraction in the economy this year, compared to the growth of 2.2 percent that had been predicted before the flood.BiH is significantly exposed to the threats of climate change but has very limited capacity to address and adapt to its negative impacts, in particular the frequency and magnitude of floods from its major rivers. The Vrbas River basin is characterized by a large rural population comprised of the poorest and most vulnerable communities in BiH, including war returnees and displaced people, with high exposure to flooding and its devastating impacts.
The overall objective of this assignment is to create Terms of reference for development of Flood risk management plan in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant should work in consultation with and under the guidance and supervision of the Project Manager (PM) to create Terms of reference for development of Flood risk management plans in Bosnia and Herzegovina, in accordance with IPA 2016 Action document “Support to Flood Protection and Flood Risk Management”. Specifically, his\her responsibilities are but not limited to the following:
Develops detailed Terms of reference for Flood risk management plans in BiH based on the:
- EU flood Directive 2007/60/EC on the assessment and management of flood risks;
- Analysis of current stage of implementation to EU flood directive 2007/60/EC in BiH;
- Relevant national documentation related to implementation of the EU flood Directive 2007/60/EC;
- Existing TOR for development of Flood Risk Management Plan for Vrbas river Basin in RS;
- Existing TOR for development of the Flood Risk Management Plan for Sava river Basin.
Consult respective national institutions in BiH responsible for flood risk management .
Deliverables/ outputsThe consultant is responsible for the following deliverables:Deliverable / outputs # of days per task Due date Percentage
- Develop Terms of Reference for Flood risk management plan in Bosnia and Herzegovina 10 15 Sept 100
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment;
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication and diplomatic skills, ability to work in a team
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback;
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations;
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities;
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Extensive knowledge of computer applications;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a fairly big team;
- Ability to operate under strict time limits;
Required Skills and Experience
- BSc degree in civil engineering
- Minimum 10 years of experience in areas relevant to food management;
- Knowledge about EU flood Directive 2007/60/EC on the assessment and management of flood risks;
- Substantial experience in project programing and project management cycle;
- Good knowledge and understanding of law regulating water management in BiH;
- Excellent knowledge about technical regulations and special technical conditions and professional codes related water management in BiH;
- Substantial involvement in the preparation of documents regarding water management in BiH.
- English language skills is an asset
Technical evaluation criteria:
- Rating based on qualifications 30%
- Minimum 10 years of experience in areas relevant to food management; Knowledge about EU flood Directive 2007/60/EC on the assessment and management of flood risks; Substantial experience in project programing and project management cycle. 30%
- Good knowledge and understanding of law regulating water management in BiH; Excellent knowledge about technical regulations and special technical conditions and professional codes related water management in BiH. Substantial involvement in the preparation of documents regarding water management in BiH, 30%
- English language skills 10%
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 70 points would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
Applicants are required to submit an application including:
- Completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (downloadable from http://www.ba.undp.org/content/bosnia_and_herzegovina/en/home/operations/jobs.html);
- Financial proposal which will separately specify professional fee, indicating number of anticipated working days, travel costs (air-ticket or use of private vehicle), living allowance, and all other applicable costs. The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount, and payment terms around specific and measurable (qualitative and quantitative) deliverables (i.e. whether payments fall in installments or upon completion of the entire contract). Payments are based upon output, i.e. upon delivery of the services specified in the TOR.
- At least 3 references;
- Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work;
- Provide a sample document/paper on the similar subject created.
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 62 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy;
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Grade: National Consultant - Locally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Disaster Management (Preparedness, Resilience, Response and Recovery)
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Internal audit, Investigation and Inspection
- Closing Date: 2018-08-22