Sudan is a country in transition with diverse development issues and challenges requiring a comprehensive stabilization strategy, with each area requiring customized interventions for stabilization and development. While Sudan is experiencing progressive economic growth, it is also fraught with economic crisis coupled with the issues of youth unemployment, displaced populations, migrants, reintegration of formed fighters, and prevention of violent extremism. Protracted and post-conflict displacements pose both humanitarian and development challenges. Resolving these requires a more coherent and effective course to stabilization approach that end dependency on humanitarian aid and advance human development.
While UNDP continues to work with various stakeholders including the government of Sudan, it places emphasis on addressing these issues under SDGs, National and Strategic Plans. Aligned with the Government’s development priorities, the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), 2018-2021, and the multi-year humanitarian strategy, the Stabilization Programmes involve highly functional partnership models with line ministries, NGOs, UN agencies and the private. UNDP supports peace efforts to stabilize communities and strengthen social cohesion in at least 10 states. It will continue to support and advocate for dividends of peace, promote civic engagement, and work on reintegration component of the disarmament, demobilization and reintegration process for ex-combatants in Darfur and in the border states of the south, with an equal focus on host communities.
The objective of the stabilization of the Programme, which is funded by diverse donors and implemented by UNDP in partnership with the national stakeholders and other UN agencies (as appropriate) is to promote social and economic resilience of local communities , especially youth, women and displaced population , through improved access to livelihoods , education , business skills , as well to address gaps in business and professional employment skills of youth across various categories like unemployed, displaced, returnees , ex-combatants , migrants, people having potential to join violent extremism . In doing so, Programme aims to increase the space for reconciliation, confidence building, social cohesion, women empowerment and natural resource management.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Analyst will work closely with internal and external counterparts, including government counterparts, development partners, NGOs, civil society, private sector etc., to successfully deliver UNDP Programmes. He/she ensures a client-oriented approach and consistency with UNDP rules and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of Programme strategies
- Management of stabilization
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Provision of top quality policy advice services to management/partners and facilitation of knowledge building and management
Ensures implementation of Programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure timely and efficient implementation of the project's activities in accordance with the workplan to ensure that the project outcomes and outputs are aligned with Project documents;
- Contribute to the revision of projects annual and final narrative and donor reports to ensure quality reporting in compliance with the contractual requirements;
- Coordinate and follow up on the verification, monitoring, evaluation and communication missions to ensure compliance with applicable procedures, including guidance on procedural matters, assistance with mission preparation, response to findings and subsequent follow-up;
- Contribute to project related events, including trainings organized by project partners and support as required to deliver project activities;
- Monitor project performance and track progress to assess impact and compliance with sustainable development goals and results-based performance indicators and to help assess future Programme orientation;
- Provide inputs and researched information in Programme formulations to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of the Programmes;
Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy in cooperation with the Management Support and Business Development Team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide support to the office's partnerships and resources mobilization functions through the provision of assistance in negotiations, reaching agreements, project development and implementation;
- Provide technical and substantive assistance during the formulation of project proposals according to UNDP established practices;
- Ensure proposals and other documentation reflect the program’s and UNDP Sudan`s strategic objectives;
- Support resource mobilization through identification of funding opportunities/call for proposals and engagement with donors;
- Actively seek to establish new partnerships and maintain existing ones in accordance to Programme objectives and the office`s vision;
- Develop and maintain close cooperation with key government institutions and relevant national and international stakeholders, other UN agencies, and the donor community;
- Participate in relevant meetings to ensure plans, activities and resources are optimally coordinated with all partners and relevant Programmes/Projects;
- Liaise with representatives of bilateral and multilateral agencies through informal networking/briefing and formal interaction such as participating in relevant donor thematic group meetings, consultative groups, etc.;
- Implement partnerships and resource mobilization strategies to achieve Programme outcomes.
- Determine programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donor priorities;
- Research and analyze information on donors, prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, and identify opportunities for cost-sharing.
Ensure Provision o relavant advisory services and facilitation of Knowledge Building and Management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist in defining program’s strategic objectives on short and long term basis, and ensure they are reflected in all external communications;
- Prepare and conduct communication needs assessments for the Programme on all outputs, initiatives and activities;
- Develop communication materials for advocacy and outreach and civic awareness initiatives, marketing and awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials and press releases in coordination with the Project Manager and team;
- Supervise planning and production of communication materials, including briefing notes and other documents related to Programmes;
- Liaise with UN and non-UN counterparts and implementing partners on the implementation of the Programme Communication Strategy, Outreach and Advocacy in regard to Programmes and related activities;
- Support the branding of new and existing Programmes ensuring consistency.
IV. Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the strengthening of cooperation between the UNDP and partners as well as an impact on the success of joint Programmes/Projects in particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships, quality reporting, delivery and supporting resource mobilization efforts.
V. Competencies :
Ability to make new and useful ideas work:Level 4: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully.
Ability to persuade others to follow:Level 4: Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction:Level 4: Models independent thinking and action.
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform:Level 4: Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis.
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement:Level 4: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services:Level 4: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services
Programme issues and analysis knowledge of Programme issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, including analysis of projects from a stabilization perspective :Level 4: Ability to manage Programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results.
Programme and Institutional DevelopmentKnowledge of systems for Programming and capacity development and interagency collaboration and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations:Level 4: Ability to design and implement strategic short/long term campaigns and carry out customized activations to highlight UNDP's position and support issue-based advocacy.
Collaboration and PartnershipsAbility to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships:Level 4: Integrate & Empower: Leads integral work of teams utilizing expertise, vision, problem-solving capability, and collaborative energy in professional area of expertise.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree in Development Studies, International Relations, Communication, or any other related field
- A first level university degree in relevant academic field with minimum four years relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master’s Degree.
- 2 years with Master’s Degree, or 4 years with Bachelors' Degree of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in managing project communication related to complex and multi-component Programme interventions with various partners, preferably related to thematic area;
- Experience in project management and communications functions preferably for project-based work with substantive political impact;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Experience in coordinating, implementing, monitoring and evaluating development Programmes and projects is an asset.
- Experience with UN, NGOs and civil society will be an asset;Experience in a conflict context will be an asset
- Excellent command of English both written and Oral;
- Knowledge of Arabic or another UN Language is an asset.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Khartoum (Sudan)
- Grade: P-2, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-22