Finance & Administrative Assistant
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Through the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP) in Bangkok and a number of country and multi-country offices as well as programme presences across the region, UN Women builds on a long history of support to governments, civil society and other actors to promote gender equality and empower all women and girls. We stand behind women’s equal participation in all aspects of life, focusing on five priority areas: addressing gender perspectives in intergovernmental processes; women’s political participation and leadership; enhancing women’s economic empowerment; ending violence against women and girls; and promoting women’s participation in peace and security and humanitarian action.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Finance Associate, the Finance & Admin Assistant is responsible for helping ensure the provision and the execution of programme finance services and the effective and transparent utilization of financial resources including the integrity of financial and administrative services. The incumbent promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations.
The Finance & Administrative Assistant leads the project support staff and works in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations teams in the Regional Offices, Country Offices and UN Women HQ for resolving together complex programme, financial-related issues, and to ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support implementation of Finance Services i.e., Payments and Financial Transactions:
- Timely and accurate payments with full compliance with UN Women rules & regulations;
- Verification in Atlas matching, help ensure implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system, control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications, budgetary status versus ASL, follow up with HQs on ASL for development projects, maintenance on the General Ledger;
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; travel claims, and other entitlements are duly processed;
- Timely corrections and adjustments thru GLJE & APJV for accounting entries relating to works under responsibilities, when required;
- Review payment requests from Country Offices in the AP region prior to obtain approval;
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports to projects; preparation of all types of vouchers.
- Allocation of Common services expenses and recurring office expenses;
- Recording of Cost recovery charged from UNDP;
- Management of Cash receipts. Money received are timely recorded and deposited to UNDP Bank;
- Timely accounts closure;
- Maintenance of the proper filing system for finance records and documents;
- Other works as assigned.
Support to month-end and year-end closures:
- Reconciliation of balance sheet accounts including staff advance/receivable, Petrol advance, petty cash;
- Coordination with petty cash custodians in project offices for timely completion of monthly petty cash reconciliation and replenishment;
- Support month-end and year-end closure through report preparation and submission including e.g. travel claim monitoring sheet, petty cash reconciliation, review and monitoring of receipt accrual and payment voucher status.
Provision of Administrative and logistical support:
- Submission of documents to UNDP for VAT exempt certificate submission to MOFA, review and follow up pending VAT exempt certificates;
- Support to staff travel in the Operations Team including Arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents;
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats;
- Support to office space arrangement, floor plan, and relevant purchase of office furniture;
- Support to assets management and physical assets verification;
- Support to maintenance of premises and common services, office insurances and management of document storage
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to lease agreements of ROAP and Project Offices and related maintenance and insurance, and relevant reporting to HQ;
- Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution;
- Telephone expenses properly reviewed and personal usage being followed up and paid timely by individual staff. Money received are timely recorded and deposited to UNDP Bank;
- Monitoring of Travel Advance, Claims and Settlements through preparation and maintenance of Travel Claim monitoring sheet. Record submission of F10 claims against advances. Overpaid DSA being followed up and paid timely by individual staff.
Support to Cash Advance to UN Women - Implementing Partners (IPs):
- Processing of IP Advances to NGOs, Government Partners and UN Agencies, in accordance with UN Women On request proper and timely processing of IP advances to NGOs, Government partners and UN Agencies, in accordance with UN Women policy and internal control framework;
- Guidance to IP partners on request for the preparation of Financial Reports/FACE forms in accordance with UN Women procedures;
- Review of Financial reports (FACE) received and their supporting documents;
- Tracking of outstanding advances and prompt follow up of overdue Financial Reports (FACE) and ageing items;
- Control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports (FACE); preparation of relevant vouchers i.e. payment vouchers, APJVs and GLJEs when necessary;
- Maintain auditable records of all expenditure reviewed against source documents by Implementing Partner and project;
- Provision of information and data as requested by auditors including project audits;
- Support capacity assessment on potential partners.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, and guidance to all stakeholders on financial matters:
- Handling adhoc inquiries on payments and other financial transactions;
- Provision of necessary administrative support for effective knowledge management and sharing within the Unit;
- Facilitate organization of training for the Operations/Project/Programme Staff on financial management;
- Training to colleagues in UN Women and Implementing Partners on procedure and practices related to “Financial Transaction & Management”;
- Orientation to New Petty Cash Custodians on “Petty Cash Management”;
- Contribution to lessons learned and best practices in programme finance, in support of knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Core Values / Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Thorough knowledge of financial rules and regulations and accounting principles;
- Excellent knowledge and application skills of IT tools and management systems;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems;
- Good analytical skills and results orientation;
- Client oriented approach to work;
- Skills to manage relationships and communicate.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of secondary education is required. University degree (or equivalent) in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field is an asset.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in finance, administration or programme support is required at the national or international level;
- Proficiency in using computers and standard office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Experience in handling of web based management systems required;
- Experience in using PeopleSoft ERP is an asset;
- Work experience in the UN system is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Thai is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN working knowledge is an asset.
- Organization: UN WOMEN - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- Location: Bangkok (Thailand)
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Operations and Administrations
- Women's Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Administrative support
- Banking and Finance
- Closing Date: 2018-08-23