Regional Support Director/ Deputy Regional Director
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The Middle East Regional Office (MERO) based in Amman, Jordan was created in January 2014 as part of NRC’s reorganization process. We currently have more than 3,000 staff in the Middle East region assisting people displaced by conflict in Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Jordan and Palestine. Our work is concentrated on the shelter, education, food security, legal assistance and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors with strong protection and resilience focus integrated into our programs.
NRC operations in the Middle East have grown significantly in recent years. With large operations in such fluid contexts, the NRC Middle East Regional Office has a stimulating and rewarding work environment, a collaborative workforce and genuine place of passion responding to crisis in the region.
Our Ideal Candidate:
For this position, we are looking for a seasoned senior manager with at least 7 years’ experience providing support to large, complex and changing country operations. This role is ideally suited for someone who has worked as a country director or member of a country office’s senior leadership team. We are particularly looking for someone with a sound understanding of how to coordinate support services and programming into a successful country operation. They have navigated the intricacies and unique circumstances associated with implementing programs in conflict-affected countries with significant population displacements. They have experience overseeing one or more support functions and are familiar with country office start-up, exit and emergency response.
The dynamic nature of humanitarian programming means that MERO is constantly evolving to provide the best support possible to the country programmes. In addition to strong technical abilities, we are also looking for a calm, positive, individual with strong communication skills, who can foster trust and collaboration within NRC’s MERO office and country offices throughout the region and head office, Oslo. Experience of designing and leading organizational change processes is an asset in this role.
The Regional Support Director in MERO is responsible for providing overall leadership and coordinating the Finance, HR, Recruitment, Logistical, ICT, Anti-Corruption & Investigations, Compliance & Risk Management and Administration functions; and leading them in the fulfilment of their respective responsibilities, providing support to the country offices’ operations.
Key Responsibilities related to this position include:
- Ensure the strategic development of Finance, HR, Recruitment, Logistics, ICT, Anti-Corruption & Investigations, Compliance & Risk Management and Administration functions to maximise support to the Country Offices and to enable MERO to optimally perform its role
- Ensure the development of adequate control mechanisms of NRC operations in the region
- Serve as the focal point for input of relevant content to the region’s annual and quarterly reports
- Serve as the region’s focal point to the Head Office (HO) Organisational Development Department on support related issues
- Oversee the timely recruitment of MERO support staff
- Liaise with CDs and Country Offices’ Heads of Support to ensure effective and constructive communication between related functions and COs
- Manage performance and staff development of the Regional Support Department’s members with reference to Unit’s ToRs
- Ensure that Heads of Unit are accountable for results
- Ensure implementation of, and, adherence to NRC’s global policies and initiatives relevant to the Department
- In cooperation with the Regional Programme Director, explore and create synergies between Country Offices related to Finance, Human Resources, Recruitment, Logistics, ICT, Anti-Corruption & Investigations, Compliance & Risk Management and Administration
- Deputize for the NRC Middle East Regional Director
For more information related to the position responsibilities please refer to the full Job Description, attached at the bottom of the page.
We welcome hearing from qualified and interested applicants. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Contract period: 24 months
Duty Station: Amman, Jordan.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Amman (Jordan)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Operations and Administrations
- Human Resources
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-08-22