SVN 2018/178 (P) - Project Development and Reporting Officer (P2) - IOM Somalia in Nairobi, Kenya
IOM Somalia in Nairobi*
Position Title Project Development and Reporting Officer
Duty Station :IOM Somalia in Nairobi*, Kenya Classification Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 14 August 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Since 2006, IOM has been implementing a range of humanitarian and development projects in all regions of Somalia. With 6.7 million people requiring humanitarian assistance in 2017, evolving mixed migration flows in and out of Somalia, increasing access and donor interest in Somalia, programmatic scope for IOM is growing rapidly. In this context, IOM Somalia is implementing a multitude of projects and is expanding its sectoral portfolio. IOM Somalia is therefore seeking an incumbent to support project development and resource mobilization efforts.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Programme Support Unit Coordinator and in close coordination with colleagues from the Programme Support Unit and programme units in the field and in Nairobi, the successful candidate will primarily be responsible for contributing to and participating in the design and development of new programmes/projects, and programme and donor reporting. Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Page 1 / 41. Support the Programme Support Unit Coordinator and contribute to project development, donor liaison, and coordination with Headquarters (HQs), Regional Office (RO) and other relevant stakeholders.
2. Draft and coordinate the preparation of concept notes and proposals for potential donors and funding opportunities such as the Somalia Humanitarian Fund (SHF), Central Emergency Respond Fund (CERF), European Commission, European Commission's Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection department (ECHO), the African Development Bank (AfDB), and bilateral donors in IOM’s areas of interest.
3. Provide information for and facilitate the incorporation of cross-cutting themes (i.e. gender, protection, etc.) in project concept notes and proposals in line with the new Project Handbook. 4. Conduct research to strengthen proposals and concept notes.
5. Support the activation of projects, in close coordination with PMs and other pertinent IOM departments, and follow up on the administrative, financial and management requirements of project development and implementation.
6. In close coordination with the M&E officer, review and edit donor reports from programme units to support compliance with donor regulations and obligations, as well as the report finalization process with the Donor Report team at the Regional Office in Nairobi. 7. Provide and coordinate inputs for information requests from Headquarters, the Regional Office, other IOM missions and external partners, such as donors, government, partner agencies, and implementing partners, in close coordination with PSU Coordinator. 8. In close coordination with the M&E officer, ensure coherence and consistency of monitoring and evaluation tools with the proposal contents.
9. Identify potential and realistic funding opportunities by reviewing calls for proposals, and collecting donor information.
10. Coordinate with the Public Information Officer to produce visibility materials for publicity to appeal to donors for resource mobilization by recommending content and carrying out preliminary editing.
11. Support the review and editing of assessment and evaluation reports drafted by programme units.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in International Relations, International Development, Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in project development, technical writing and editing, preferably in the international development/humanitarian sector.
• Work experience in donor relations and report writing for specific donors of IOM’s interest would be an advantage.
Page 2 / 4• Strong technical writing skills in English.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Somali is an advantage. Note
With frequent travel to Somalia and possible relocation to Mogadishu if and when the situation is conducive.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 14 August 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html Page 3 / 4In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 09.08.2018 to 14.08.2018
Requisition: SVN2018/178(P)-ProjectDevelopment&ReportingOfficer(P2)-IOMSomaliainNairobi,Kenya (55586299) Released
Posting: Posting NC55586323 (55586323) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: IOM Somalia in Nairobi*
- Grade: P-2, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Communication and Public Information
- Project and Programme Management
- Documentation and Information Management
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Closing Date: 2018-08-14