General WASH Monitoring Assistant
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects on behalf of UN agencies and bilateral donors and in close coordination with the Government and national authorities. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development and technical management, and provides financial, human resources and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, to achieve the outcomes sought by the clients.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Main Functional responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the General WASH Monitoring Assistant will be responsible on the following duties:
· Coordinate the monitoring of wastewater desludging operations and truck distribution by the UNOPS team.
· Serve as a channel of communication between the Water and Sanitation Assistants (WAS), General WASH Assistants (GWA) and the Project Manager (PM) whereby smooth, effective, and efficient communication flow is achieved.
· Compile the daily desludging monitoring reports (Desludging Operational Plan, Desludging Hotline, Desludging Quantities, Truck Load inspection, Za’atari/Azraq WWTP) received the WSAs and GWAs.
· Maintain a database of the wastewater quantities dislodged from the camp showing daily, monthly and yearly quantities as well as the locations/districts of the wastewater dislodged.
· Prepare daily and monthly desludging monitoring reports outlining the amount of wastewater dislodged during the operational day/month, and identify any operational challenges and irregularities in the desludging operations.
· Coordinate with the refugees’ representatives and other stakeholders pertaining to issues related to desludging operations in Za’atari/Azraq camps, in coordination with the District Field Monitoring Team.
· Conduct analysis on the condition of water trucks to identify any technical issue related to wastewater loads.
· Advice and guide the WSAs and GWAs on any changes in the desludging/water monitoring reporting system provided by the PM.
· Follow up with the WSAs and GWAs on missing information and/or any data entry error found in their daily reports.
· Keep an updated master list of all desludging/water trucks involved in UNICEF’s operations in Za’atari/Azraq Camps.
· Follow up and respond to desludging/water supply operational issues to ensure the smooth implementation of UNICEF’s activities in Za’atari/Azraq Camps.
· Liaise with aid agencies and desludging contractor to coordinate desludging activities on the field level.
· Implement and monitor an active desludging operational plan (DOP) for desludging trucks.
· Verify the monthly quantity of wastewater by crosschecking UNICEF’s contractor records with UNOPS’ monitoring records.
· Verify the monthly quantity of wastewater by crosschecking UNOPS’ monitoring records with issued vouchers.
· Lead regular meetings between the contractor, UNICEF and UNOPS team to highlight performance, issues and to identify and implement solutions.
· Coordinate with UNICEF network partners to ensure the ZWWTP has enough space to proceed with both operations, trucking and network pumping in a timely manner
· Coordinate the monitoring of water supply and distribution by UNOPS team.
· Ensure the WASH monitoring reports are prepared and submitted by the WSAs and GWAs on daily basis.
· Maintain database of the water quantities distributed to the camp community showing daily, monthly and yearly quantities as well as the location (districts) of the water distributed.
· Plan a roaming patrol deployment based on the challenges identified through water monitoring activities.
· Compile water monitoring reports (Borehole 1, borehole 2, borehole 3, external and Roaming patrol) received from General WASH Assistants (GWAs).
· To perform any other tasks assigned by Project Manager.
· Facilitate the submission of entry permits to the SRAD requested by UNOPS’ program sections and their relevant partners and contractors.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- University degree preferably in Business Administration, Social Studies, Environmental Studies or other related field would be a considered advantage.
- 1-year experience of working with WASH TECHNICAL projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Previous years’ work experience in community based water, Sanitation programs; Work experience with an NGO is desirable
- Must have knowledge of emergency Water supply, Hygiene, Sanitation requirements and protocols
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of Hygiene, Sanitation and shelter service delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Fluency in both English and Arabic required.
- Advanced Computer literacy especially in (Excel and Word).
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local ICA Support
- Contract level: LICA 5
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Azraq/Za’atari Camps
- Grade: LICA-5, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-08-16