Local Coordinator in Donetsk Oblast
The ongoing conflict in eastern Ukraine has had a direct and highly negative impact on social cohesion, resilience, livelihoods, community security, and the rule of law. Recognizing the need to urgently address reconstruction, economic recovery and peacebuilding needs in areas affected both directly and indirectly by the conflict, in late 2014 the Government of Ukraine requested technical assistance and financial support from the international community to assess priority recovery needs. In late 2014, the United Nations, the World Bank and the European Union conducted a Recovery and Peacebuilding Assessment, which was endorsed by the Cabinet of Ministers in mid-2015. In response to the situation, in 2016, UNDP has established a Project Office in eastern Ukraine with a view to consolidate and deliver the various recovery and governance projects through a comprehensive, area-based Recovery and Peacebuilding Programme (RPP) in five conflict-affected oblasts: Donetsk and Luhansk (Government Controlled Areas), as well as Zaporizhzhia, Dnipro, and Kharkiv oblasts. RPP frames UNDP’s interventions in Eastern Ukraine to address the recovery needs of conflict affected population and communities. The Programme Component has three components focusing on: (1) economic recovery and restoration of critical infrastructure; (2) restoration of governance and support to decentralization reform; (3) strengthening community security and social cohesion. UNDP Ukraine invites applications from highly qualified and experienced Ukrainian professionals for the post of the Local Coordinator for the RPP’s Component 1 Economic Recovery and restoration of Critical Infrastructure.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Programme Coordinator, Economic Recovery and Restoration of Critical Infrastructure and in collaboration with Programme Coordinator, Local Governance and Decentralization Reform and Community Security and Social Cohesion Specialist () the Local Coordinator will be responsible for coordination, planning and management of RPP activities in the Southern part of Donetsk Oblast. Specifically, s/he will perform the following key tasks:
Coordinate and facilitate the rehabilitation of public infrastructures:
- Facilitate conducting needs assessment and consultation with respective government and non-government partners, including communities, and defining plan for renovation of public infrastructures and in preparing the plan for renovation of those infrastructure facilities in target region;
- Contribute to establishing an infrastructure reconstruction plan in close cooperation with the local stakeholders;
- Facilitate preparation of engineering design, cost estimates and drawings of public infrastructure facilities by using qualified and competitive local engineering design companies;
- Facilitate carrying on construct/renovation of public infrastructure facilities;
- Facilitate handover of the renovated/reconstructed infrastructures to the relevant authorities for operation and maintenance.
Support enhancing employment and income generating opportunities:
- Coordinate with local authorities and facilitate identifying opportunities and implementation of cash-for-work, public works and temporary works programmes in the oblast;
- Coordinate the implementation of cash-for-work, public works and temporary works programmes in the oblast;
- Facilitate conducting various assessments and studies on issues related to economic recovery and development of vocational education and training facilities (hereinafter – VET) in the target oblast;
- Coordinate and provide inputs in developing training and re-skilling programmes for IDPs and local population with the State Employment Service (SES) to meet the needs of the labor market;
- Facilitate conducting trainings in specific professions;
- Facilitate the SES and other institution for collection and processing of labor market data.
Facilitate creating enterprise and entrepreneurship development opportunities:
- Facilitate enterprise development trainings for those who are running or willing to run businesses;
- Facilitate the provision of grants for starting and/or expanding small and medium-sized businesses/ enterprises and facilitate linking them to financial institutions for further financial support;
- Facilitate monitoring of the businesses/enterprises during their gestation period.
Strengthen capacity of local authorities for creating employment and business opportunities:
- Facilitate assessing capacity development needs of local authorities on economic recovery in the region;
- Facilitate identifying legal and policy barriers to business development and employment generation;
- Facilitate capacity development activities for local authorities on supporting private sector development;
- Facilitate drafting local economic development strategies, plans, and legislation to promote SME development in the region;
- Contribute to the provision of grants for the development of business support infrastructures, such as business incubators and business centers, as well as to business membership organizations;
- Facilitate establishing public-private partnership dialogues in the oblast.
Support of efficient and effective delivery of the project activities:
- Prepare regional/oblast level work plan and provide inputs to annual and quarterly work plans and reports of the RPP’s Component 1;
- Contribute to the selection processes of Implementing Partners (IPs) and regular monitor the work (training, seminars/workshops, surveys, data collection, etc.) of the IPs and facilitate them to deliver their work in the Oblast;
- Support implementation of activities of RPP Component 2, Democratic Governance and Decentralization Reform and RPP Component 3, Community Security and Social Cohesion in the Southern part of Donetsk oblast;
- Closely work with respective local authorities to ensure the RPP activities in the Southern part of Donetsk oblast are implemented in a timely and efficiently manner;
- Develop the regional coordination mechanisms to ensure that local authorities, non-government, private sector and international development organizations, including UN agencies, are well informed about RPP activities and share experiences of each other;
- Provide monitoring support to RPP field activities in the Southern part of Donetsk oblast and provide technical support to ensure the RPP’s Component 1 objectives are met;
- Check and provide certification of satisfactory completion of works of consultants or IPs for payment of their completed works;
- Participate in relevant working group meetings and share information with partners and UNDP at oblast level;
- Facilitate collection, analysis and interpretation of data on economic recovery needs and problems in the oblast;
- Ensure full compliance of activities with UNDP rules, regulations and procedures;
- Facilitate of RPP’s Component 1 monitoring and evaluation;
- Provide input to sections of the reports, including progress and annual reports, as well as ad-hoc technical reports;
- Assure that due security measures are observed during implementation of the Programme Component activities at oblast level;
- Perform other duties requested.
Measurable outputs of the work assignment:
- Full and appropriate implementation of the RPP’s Component 1 activities in the Southern part of Donetsk Oblast;
- RPP’s Component 1 results, experiences and lessons learned disseminated at the national and regional levels;
- Oblast level activities reporting, quality monitoring and closure activities completed.
Performance Indicators for evaluation of results:
- Regional/oblast annual work plan is fully and timely implemented;
- Regional funds delivery reached 100%;
- Regional Component activities are carried out in strict accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
- Demonstrate/safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Encourage and participate in open communication in the team, communicate effectively;
- Create synergies through self-control;
- Manage conflict.
Competencies expected of the individual:
- Ability to coordinate project/programme activities, including the ability to translate strategic aims into achievable work plans and prepare reports in a timely manner;
- Ability to handle politically sensitive issues and contacts with regional authorities and CSO’s community;
- Sound judgment and maturity to foster a positive work environment;
- Familiarity with national legislation on recovery and IDPs, and familiar with political, economic and social environment in the region;
- Demonstrated strong coordination and facilitation skills;
- Excellent usage of computers and office software packages.
Required Skills and Experience
Minimum qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Business Administration, International Relations, Management, Social Sciences, Political Sciences, Public Administration Engineering, Construction or other relevant areas;
- At least 3 years of experience in coordinating project or programme activities in public or international organization in the relevant fields. Experience in the field of local economic development, local governance or private sector development or construction would be desirable;
- Experience of working with relevant stakeholders from the governmental and non-governmental institutions involved into recovery and IDPs as well as economic development issues at the sub-national level would be a strong advantage;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (Word, Excel etc.), experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Experience of working in international organizations/projects will be considered as an advantage;
- Familiarity with UNDP rules and regulations will be considered as an advantage;
- Fluency in Ukrainian, Russian and working level of English are required.
- Click on the "Apply now" button.
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. You can type in or paste your Resume into the last box.
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume. Instead of uploading your Resume, please submit a fully completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (P-11). When completing the Form and, even though not currently requested, please include email addresses for your Supervisors.
- Without the completed and signed P11 your application will not be considered. The UNDP Personal History Form can be downloaded at link. Failure to disclose prior employment or making false representations on this form will be grounds for withdrawal of further consideration of his/her application or termination, where the appointment or contract has been issued.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and please ensure that copies of your educational qualifications are available when contacted.
This is a locally recruited position and no expatriation benefits will apply.DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 23 AUGUST 2018UNDP will use a transparent and competitive screening process, though will only contact those applicants in whom there is further interest. Applications may only be submitted for specific vacancy. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Mariupol (Ukraine)
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-08-23