Project Assistant - Nauru
UNDP Pacific Office (PO) in Fiji, serves 14 countries and territories in the Pacific with a total population of 2.4 million people through its three focus areas
- Effective Governance
- Inclusive Growth
- Resilience and Sustainable Development
The UNDP Pacific Office in Fiji also coordinates regional initiatives and policy advise in 15 countries covered by the three UNDP offices in the region (Fiji, Samoa and Papua New Guinea). The UNDP Pacific Office in Fiji programme is guided by the Sub-Regional Programme Document (SRPD) (2018 – 2022) for the Pacific Island Countries and Territories, which outlines a programme strategy aligned with the vision of the Pacific Leaders, contributes to the achievement of Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development and forms part of the UN Pacific Strategy 2018-2022.
Under the Effective Governance programme, the UNDP Pacific Office in Fiji supports key thematic outcomes to promote peaceful, just and inclusive societies (SDG16). These include:
- Strengthening anti-corruption institutions and systems, supporting the implementation of United Nations Convention against Corruption (UNCAC);
- Supporting access to justice for impoverished and vulnerable groups through empowering people to access legal rights and services;
- HIV and Health;
- Enhancing inclusive political process and institution. This includes supporting efforts related to constitutional reform processes, enhancing the credibility, transparency and effectiveness and sustainability of electoral institution and processes, parliamentary development and the advancement of women’s equal participation.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Pacific Office in Fiji is supporting the Electoral Management Body of Nauru through the Nauru Electoral Support project (NESP). NESP will be implementing a range of country level activities to improve effective governance in Nauru by strengthening the capacities of the Electoral Commission to achieve a better-informed electorate and a more transparent and inclusive electoral process, including facilitating greater participation of women in the electoral process. This will be achieved through supporting civic and voter education; technical capacity development; legal advisory support; and assistance towards a gender strategy.
The project was initiated on 1st July 2018 and is due to run until June 2020. It has 4 outputs:
- Output 1: Civic education and voter awareness for the electorate strengthened
- Output 2: Enhancement of the capacities of the Electoral Commission
- Output 3: Electoral legal advisory support to the Electoral Commission
- Output 4: Women’s electoral participation enhanced
Under the direct supervision and technical guidance of the Technical Adviser (TA) and Project Manager for the Nauru Electoral Support Project (NESP) team, the Project Assistant will support the day-to-day implementation of the project through high quality administrative, financial, and logistical support, in the timely implementation of project activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures effective administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Performance of a Buyer role in Atlas and preparation of Vendor List.
- Support to organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs receipt of quotations, bids or proposals.
- Maintenance of the supervisor’s calendar, managing government & external partner contact list, arrangement of appointments and meetings.
- Coordination of travel arrangements and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas.
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats.
- Collection of information for DSA, travel agencies and other administrative surveys, support to organization of common services activities.
- Assist in processing of Staff/Workshop Participants Travel Claims in line with financial procedures
- Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by NESP program and keeping a log of distribution.
- Maintenance of the e-filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Presentation of information on the status of financial resources as required.
- Assisting in timely disbursement of payments to Travel Agent
- Prepare bank documents, e.g. T/T. and assist in banking runs for events
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to supervisor.
- Assistance in the provision of information for audit management.
Provide support to effective management of the programme:
- Assist in the design, planning and management, evaluation and monitoring and reporting of initiatives on the NESP as well as other key result areas that may be assigned in future.
- Assist in the collection, and presentation of researched information for preparation of project concepts, draft project documents, work plans, budgets, and proposals on implementation arrangements, MOUs and contracts.
- Assist in the follow up on performance indicators/ success criteria, targets and milestones, preparation/review/comments of/on reports.
- Assist in the preparation of Unit workplan and results reporting.
Support in creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy for Team initiatives:
- Assist in the analysis of information on donors, preparation of donor’s profile and database, establishment of contacts with donor counterparts.
- Assist in tracking and reporting on mobilized resources.
- Provide support to donor reporting
Participate in knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Dissemination of information on the Unit activities to UN agencies, donors, & development partners
- Coordination /liaison with printers on editing and layout work of team’s reports or advocacy materials before publishing.
- Coordinate post-production work for publications.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of Secondary Education preferably with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance. University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 5 years of relevant administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Experience in handling of web based management systems.
Language Requirements: Proficiency in English
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Yaren (Nauru)
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Democratic Governance
- Project and Programme Management
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-09-14