Recruitment of National or International Civil/Architectural Enginering
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Ethiopia's Agricultural Sector has the greatest potential for improving rural livelihood and reducing poverty. It is at the forefront of the country's medium-term development endeavor-the Growth and Transformation Plan(GTP) II. By the end of the GTP II period, the government has forecasted to substantively improrv yields of small holder farmers largely by scaling up best practices, producing high value crops, expanding irrigation development and promoting natural resource conservation. This necessitates paradigm shift in adopting agriucltural technologies and improved production techniques; among which, science based agricultural soil testing and analyisis systems towards improving agricultural production and productivity.
UNDP Ethiopia supported the Government of Ethiopia to develop National Agricultural Products Quality Infrastructure (NAPQI) framework as a strategy for addressing quality issues concerning agricultural inputs and agricultural production mediums such as soil, water and air. Under the framework, Ethiopian laboratories are envisioned to have capacity for quality based research on agricultural inputs and mediums and serve as reference for local and international industries.
The upgrading of the National Soil Testing Center falls in this realm with the intention to have national reference laboratory to undertake soil information management, good laboratory practice (GLP) and for provision of training on soil laboratory technology. The intended broader impact of the initiative is to 1) ensure availability, accessibility and usability of accurate and timely soil compositional (chemical & physical) analytical data in support of farmers, cooperative unions, and regional government entities; and 2) present optimal testing laboratory facility to avail productive environment that enhances evidence based agricultural research and inform policy formulations. In 2014, Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) with UNDP Ethiopia as a funding partner initiated the Phase I of the renovation work. The project has achieved most of the intended milestones. The Ministry of Agriculture in collaboration with UNDP is now embarking on the Phase II of the full scale renovation of main building focuses on renovation of the main laboratory building.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective/Tasks (Scope of Service)
UNDP is seeking the service of a National or International Civil / Architectural Engineer within an overall objective to assess and validate the aready existing phase II architectural drawing, design techncial specification, as well as bidding doucment for engaging a contractor to pursue phase II of the NSTC renovation.
Specifically, the consultancy assignment seeks to deliver on:
- Assess the already existing engineering design drawings of Phase II, undertake technical analysis and determine its viability in terms of architectural, structural, electrical, sanitary and environmental plan of the building to be renovated.
- Visit the national soil testing center (based at around Olympia) in particular the old building to be renovated, confirm and ensure that the proposed design by the previous consultant is doable (practically applicable), cost effective and fit to the needs of the required functionalities as well as to the context and construction standard.
- Undertake necessary revision and refinement of the design drawings of the original plan for best fitting the intended rehablilitation and upgrading tasks of Phase II.
- Prepare the technical specification necessary to deploy a contractor to undertake Phase II of the renovation work.
- Determine the estimated resource requirement as well as time needed to complete the envisioned Phase II of the project.
- Present a clear engineering action plan, with stated stages andmilestones to be achived with a time freame once the contractor is on board.
- Present the final work plan of the renovation (that includes architectural, structural, electrical, sanitary and environmental plan) as well as the 3D format movie; to the stakeholders including Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Resources, Ethiopian Soil Resources Institution etc and get it validated.
- Incorporate comments provided by the stakeholders and submit the final construction plan and design.
- Technically support the Minstry/UNDP to get construction permit by the respective authority in the municipality.
- Preparing bidding document that suits to the UNDP templates and in consultation with procurment team.
- Prepare ToR detailing the tasks to be done by a consultant who would supervise, inspect, monitor and evaluate as well as inspect quality as per the agreed design of the renovation construction work
- Advise UNDP's procurement team and program team and provide technical support in the selection of contractor
Location and Reporting
The consultancy assignment will require full access and presence at National Soil Testing Center located in Addis Ababa behind the Oromia Reginal Government Office at Bole Road. The consultant will work under the overall guidance of Team Leader, Inclusive Growth and Sustainable Development Unit and direct supervision of the Programme Specialist for Agricultural Growth progarmme. He/She will closely engage with the Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources, the NSTC and the Ethiopian Soil Research Institute.
- Outstanding communication skills in English;
- Positive and constructive approches to work with energy and synergy;
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to recive and integrate feedback;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Strong time management and meet established time lines;
- Capacity to facilitate and communicate with different stakeholders;
- Computer skills: full command of Microsoft applications (word, excel, power point) and common internet applications.
Required Skills and Experience
The consultant must possess the following key qualifications:
- Masters Degree or above in Civil Engineering or Architectural engineering
- Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience prefereable in similar context and assignments
- Knowledge of Ethiopian Construction Sector
- Knowledge and prior experience in undertaking design assessments of works of similar nature
- Excellent knowledge of English, including the ability to write reports clearly and concisely and to set out a coherent argument in presentation and group interactions.
Download both TOR and RFP Proposal Submission Form from the following link: http://procurement-notices.undp.org/view_notice.cfm?notice_id=48680
Strictly follow the instructions indicated in the IC Proposal Submission Form uploaded hereto; and
Firms are not eligible for this consultancy assignment (open only for National/International Individual consultants )
The following proposals must be prepared as per the RFP Proposal Submission Instructions. The Proposals shall be submitted on or before application deadline August 20,2018 via UNDP Ethiopia Secured mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Technical Proposal in pdf under file name: CO-ETH-IC-2018-034-TP- [insert -your name];
- Financial Proposal in pdf under file name: CO-ETH-IC-2018-034-FP - [insert your name];
- Please note that these proposals shall be submitted to the designated secured email into two files but in one email unless both Files are Greater than 9MB file size.
- A candidate applying only by uploading CV/P11 to this job site will not be considered. Instead, both Technical and Financial Proposals shall be submitted to UNDP Secured email: email@example.com
- Those prospect consultants who fail to submit both Technical and financial proposals as per the standard format and to the designated secured email will not be further considered for evaluation.
- Please group all your documents into single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document.
- While submitting your proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org be sure your email subject line is CO-ETH-IC-2018-034 in order to let our Office easily locate your respective proposals from secured email and be considered in subsequent evaluations.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Human Resources
- Closing Date: 2018-08-20