International Consultant – MPTF Establishment
home-based with 3 days mission to uzbekistan
Capitalizing on the successes and lessons learned from the previous UN Joint Programme on “Sustaining livelihoods affected by the Aral Sea disaster”, four UN Agencies in Uzbekistan (UNDP, UNESCO, UNFPA and UNV) have launched a new UN Joint Programme “Building the resilience of communities affected by the Aral Sea disaster through a Multi-Partner Human Security Trust Fund for the Aral Sea Region”. The Joint Programme will be implemented through joint funding from the participating UN agencies and the UN Human Security Trust Fund.
The Programme aims to mitigate inter-connected risks to human security and building the resilience of communities affected by the Aral Sea Disaster through an integrated and multi-level approach as well as facilitating sustainable financial support through the establishment of a multi-partner human security Fund for the Aral Sea. The main objectives of the programme are to i) address the human security needs of the population affected by the Aral Sea disaster at local and national levels and ii) establish a well-coordinated financial mechanism for implementing and sustainable financing of human security initiatives to promote and mainstream the human security approach in the region through the creation of the Multi-Partner Human Security Trust Fund for the Aral Sea Region (MPHSTF). The new Joint Programme further integrates the human security concept that proved to be effective in addressing human security challenges faced by individuals and communities affected by the Aral Sea disaster.
Within the objective on establishing a well-coordinated financial mechanism for implementing and sustainable financing of human security initiatives as a way to promote and mainstream the human security approach in the region and in line with the approved AWP for 2018, the project plans to hire an International Consultant, who will assist the project with the MPHSTF establishment issues and share knowledge on international experience on operationalizing pooled financial mechanisms with the Joint Program team members, UNCT, key government partners of the project, civil society members and other project stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the UN Joint Programme Manager, in consultation with the Joint Programme Technical Coordinator and in cooperation with UN JP Fund Establishment and Coordination Specialist, relevant national and development partners, the short term International Consultant on MPTF establishment will be assigned to fulfil the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist the project staff with finalizing Aral Sea MPHSTF ToR in accordance with UN MPTF procedures and requirements including the Programmatic framework and the Theory of Change;
- Provide advisory assistance with development of governance (to be comprised by the UN agencies, relevant government departments, HSU and UN MPTF office) and financial architecture of the MPHSTF for the Aral Sea region;
- Share knowledge and provide expertize on pooled financing mechanisms, their advantages and shortcomings, best practices of establishing them in other countries with UN JP team, UN Agencies and other stakeholders;
- Draft Operational Manual for the MPHSTF;
- Propose on international mechanisms and experiences of attracting potential donors to the Fund.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, ability to work in a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and cross cultural communication skills.
- Ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource.
- Commitment to UN values.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in one of the following areas: International Development, Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, Political Sciences and/or other related sector. Scientific degree is an asset.
- Proven record of solid work experience minimum 5 years (and minimum 2 consultancy works similar to the assignment - specifically covering the consultancy on establishment of financial mechanisms such as MPTF) of relevant experience at the international level in managing and/or providing management advisory services for the design, monitoring and evaluation of Trust Funds or large scale Programmes including results based management;
- Experience in drafting MDTF Terms of reference including theory of change for MPTFs, and legal, regulatory, institutional and governance aspects (highly desireable);
- Practical experience of work in operationalizing the MPTF including the work of the Steering Committee, Technical Secretariat, coaching the national teams;
- Knowledge of UNDP and the UN system and good understanding of the multilateral and bilateral development system.
- Experience of work and consultancy in Uzbekistan/CA countries is an advantage;
- Strong analytical capacity, including the ability to analyze and articulate differences of positions among a large number of stakeholders and develop acceptable solutions;
- Previous working experience in UN Aral Sea related projects/programs is an advantage.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills;
- Experience of work with government, international organizations and national teams in the preparation of national development policies and plans.
Interested candidates need to apply online and upload requested documents in Part 5. no later than end of August 22, 2018 (New York time). Please combine all your documents into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document. Your on-line applications submission will be acknowledged to your email address provided in application. If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received. In such cases, please resubmit the application, if necessary.
Application submitted via email, incomplete applications or received after the closing date (August 22, 2018) will not be given consideration. Please be informed that we don’t accept application submitted via email.
For more detailed information about UNDP Uzbekistan please visit our website at www.uz.undp.org UNDP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified female candidates, people with disabilities, and minorities are highly encouraged to apply. UNDP Balance in Manage Policy promotes achievement of gender balance among its staff at all levels.
Requests for clarification must be sent in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org, ensuring that the reference number above is included in the subject line. UNDP shall endeavor to provide such responses to clarifications in an expeditious manner, but any delay in such response shall not cause an obligation on the part of UNDP to extend the submission date of the Proposals, unless UNDP deems that such an extension is justified and necessary.
A detailed Procurement Notice, TOR, and all annexes can be found at: http://procurement-notices.undp.org/view_notice.cfm?notice_id=48834 .
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: home-based with 3 days mission to uzbekistan
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2018-08-22