Chief Social Policy, P-4, #21021 (Fixed Term) Antananarivo, Madagascar
Provides technical leadership in various spheres including; public finance, evidence-generation, Corporate Social Responsibility and private sector partnerships. Responsible for the regular monitoring of related activities lead by programme sections, as well as the monitoring of the country situation on the above highlighted themes. Leads the quality assurance of all studies, surveys and evaluations undertaken by the Country Office (CO).
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, [a champion]
Purpose of the Position: Under the general supervision of the Representative, the incumbent will provide technical leadership and supervision of all the section's activities in social protection, public finance, evidence-generation, CSR and private sector partnerships, and the regular briefings of all sections and senior management on these cross-cutting areas. The incumbent is also responsible for the regular monitoring of related activities lead by programme sections, as well as the monitoring of the country situation on the above highlighted themes. He/she provides technical support and advice to the senior management and programme sections and also leads the quality assurance of all studies, surveys and evaluations undertaken by the Country Office (CO).
How can you make a difference?
Key Expected Results: 1. Constructive dialogue and partnerships are established between international and local social policy stakeholders, to facilitate the formulation of child-friendly/child-sensitive social policies with a special equity focus in line with Government commitments under the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced university degree in Economics, International Finance, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science or other relevant disciplines related to social policy and international development assistance.
- Eight years of relevant work experience in the fields of Economics, International Finance, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science or other relevant disciplines related to social policy and international development assistance.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency. Prior experience working in difficult/fragile governance context an asset.
- Fluency in English and good working knowledge of French is required. Knowledge of a third UN language (i.e. Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish) and/or the local language (Malagasy) is considered an asset.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are: Leading and supervising (II);Formulating strategies and concepts (II);Analyzing (III);Relating and networking (II);Persuading & Influencing (II);Planning & Organizing (III)
Spheres of specific functional competence for this post are the following:
- Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
- Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
- Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
- integrates diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources.
- Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments.
- Identifies urgent and potentially difficult decisions and acts on them promptly; initiates and generates team- and department-wide activities.
- Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Antananarivo (Madagascar)
- Grade: P-4, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Social Affairs
- Legal - Broad
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-08-24