Grants Management Specialist
The Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Grants Management Specialist with an interest in programme development and a flair for M&E to join DRC’s programme in Sudan. DRC offers a position in a highly professional and committed team. You will be part of a dynamic working environment where the portfolio spans from emergency operations to migration programming and long-term community driven programmes, with significant opportunity to influence and develop DRC’s programming.
About the job
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been operational in Sudan since 2004. The primary focus has been on Darfur, where DRC has three field offices, with the aim to promote durable solutions for the conflict affected population through life-saving assistance, community driven processes, livelihoods programming and infrastructure support. We have in recent times begun to diversify our portfolio to work in new areas and with new target groups. The Grants Management Specialist will play a critical part in developing DRC’s Sudan programmes in exciting new directions.
DRC’s Sudan programme expects to implement a portfolio of projects totalling approximately USD 6 million in 2018, employing 9 international staff and about 100 national staff. DRC’s current donors in Sudan include Danida, UNHCR, UNDP, WFP, EC, ECHO, CHF and DRC itself through private fundraising, with ongoing engagements with DFID.
In this position, you will be responsible for coordinating the development and timely submission of project proposals, reports and other input for donor-funded projects in Sudan, aligned to country strategies, and in accordance with DRC’s standards and donor guidelines. You will furthermore be responsible for building and continuously improve DRC’s M&E systems in Sudan, to ensure that DRC’s programming is informed by accurate and relevant data.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Coordinate the drafting/editing of concept notes and proposals, particularly with collating and preparing information from field teams, in line with DRC strategies and approaches;
- Support DRC assessments/surveys in coordination with programme staff and senior management;
- Follow developments in and communicate donor strategic, programmatic and technical requirements in DRC.
- Ensure compliance with donor and reporting guidelines for DRC Sudan;
- Focal point for the DRC Grant Management System (GMS);
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of proposals, reports and other grants communications that meet donor and DRC requirements, in collaboration with programme and field staff;
- Liaise with donor representatives and appropriate government agencies;
- Prepare communication material (stories, pictures, internal report, etc.);
- Responsible for establishing and improving M&E systems in DRC Sudan;
- Develop and ensure monitoring and evaluation tools and procedures for each project are in place;
- Produce regular analysis and reporting of M&E data collected;
- Focal point for Core Humanitarian Standards and Accountability Improvement Plans for DRC Sudan;
- Ensure compliance in accordance with DRC accountability principles;
- Support Field Offices in implementing CHS principles in coordination with DRC programme staff.
To be successful in this role we expect you to be highly motivated for supporting the development of DRC’s programming portfolio, have solid experience in the management of grants and donor requirements, enjoy engaging with multiple colleagues with many different backgrounds, strong ability to guide/support staff, and a good eye for detail. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- A relevant educational background (e.g. bachelor’s or master’s degree in international development, social science, or similar);
- Min. 5 years of experience working for an international NGO in a humanitarian context;
- Min. 2 years of experience in writing of proposals, reporting and in fundraising from major donors. Prior experience with key DRC donors such as EC, ECHO, DFID, Danida, UNHCR, UNICEF, WFP, an advantage;
- Min. 2 years of experience in the development and/or practical application of M&E tools and procedures;
- Strong written communication skills and ability to communicate with a wide array of stakeholders;
- Prior experience coordinating inputs from a broad team and providing constructive and timely feedback;
- Willingness and ability to frequently travel to hardship duty stations in Sudan;
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Language skills in Arabic an advantage.
- Work experience from Sudan or in the region is a plus.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
- Contract length: This is a temporary position until 31 January 2019.
- Level: A15. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
- Designation of Duty Station: The duty station is Khartoum, Sudan. The position is not accompanied position. The employee will be provided accommodation in Khartoum in line with DRC policies. Note that there is currently no Rest and Recuperation (R&R) for expatriate staff based in Khartoum, Sudan.
- Start date: 1 September 2019 or as soon as possible. .
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 26 August 2018. Interviews and selection of candidates may take place before this date.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Khartoum (Sudan)
- Grade: Mid level
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Closing Date: 2018-08-26