Procurement Associate (two regular positions), Multiple positions
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development. UNOPS provides project management, procurement and infrastructure services to governments, donors and UN organisations. Its services can be advisory, implementation or transactional, with development of the national capacity always in focus.
UNOPS was the first organisation in the world that was awarded the four most prestigious accreditations in project management, including PRINCE2 ®, and one of five organisations in the world awarded the Gold Level from the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply. For its approach to project management and consistent quality UNOPS received ISO 9001 certification in 2011.
In Serbia, UNOPS has been active since 2000, became the Project Centre (RSPC) in 2013, and was reclassified, due a growing portfolio, to Operations Centre (RSOC) at the beginning of 2017. UNOPS has been a reliable partner of the Government of the Republic of Serbia in providing support for demanding socio-economic reforms and facilitating accession to the European Union.
Currently, the RSOC is implementing ten projects focussed on: sustainable municipal development, creation of more favourable environment for employability, business and infrastructure growth, enhanced social inclusion via durable housing solutions and access to health, education and jobs for the most vulnerable population, recovery from damages incurred by May 2014 floods in Serbia and building climate-resilient infrastructure. All projects have good governance and gender equality as transversal theme. UNOPS projects are contextualised within the broader Sustainable Development Goals framework and objectives.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Procurement Officer, the Procurement Associate ensures the provision of efficient and timely support services in procurement and contract administration to the different programmers in a relevant geographical area. He/she promotes a client-focused, quality and results- oriented approach and provides support to the relevant procurement personnel. In the discharge of her/his duties, the Procurement Associate works with minimal supervision and liaises with UNOPS Programme Support Officers, Chief Technical Advisors, Portfolio Managers and Portfolio Assistants in order to ensure best support.
In particular, the Procurement Associate will perform following tasks:
Ensures implementation of procurement and operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Contribution to the office’s procurement business processes mapping and to the elaboration of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement, in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
Administers a range of transactional-procurement support activities, ensuring compliance with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies, including the following:
- Incorporation of necessary steps to embed sustainability in the procurement process
- Completeness of submissions to the Contract and Property Committees (CPCs)
- Completeness of documentation for preparation/processing of Purchase Orders, Contracts, LTAs or their Amendments
- Provision of requested research/data on market supply by conducting routine market research to determine sources of supplies, using United Nations Global Market Place, and other external sources
- Set-up/enhancement and maintenance of the local supplier database, ensuring regular update of data
- Information databases, all procurement files and records updated and maintained
- Status reports generated, as required
- Availability of all supporting documents for audit and review purposes
Procurement planning, requisitions and sourcing
Administratively and technically supports the office’s planning, requisitions/procurement and sourcing support processes, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collaboration with projects personnel and Managers in the preparation of their procurement plan, awarding, administering and monitoring of all matters related to procurement for the given geographical area / project activity
- Maintenance and update of procurement monitoring processes for projects and provision of feedback on purchase orders to requesting office
- Provision of proposals to requesting entity on modes for providing goods, works and services, including procurement deadlines for each stage
- Review of requisitions for completeness
- Preparation of proper and complete specification for equipment and materials, Job Profiles and Statement of Works for the preparation of RFP, RFQ and ITB, ensuring clearance/approval by respective units of the requests
- Constant liaison with vendors and consignee until safe delivery of goods is achieved
- Drafting of letters, memoranda, faxes, email, etc.; monitoring of progress and liaison with vendors during the entire procurement cycle; investigation and resolution of post-order problems and of progress reports on procurement matters
- Oral/written responses to queries from projects, clients, companies, etc. regarding procurement related matters
- Preparation of monthly reports on procurement matters
- Liaison with the projects or logistics unit on receipt of goods, equipment and services in view of obtaining proper delivery report, RIR (Receipt and Inspection Report), or relevant certificates and that proper inventory is taken
Bidding and tendering processes
Undertakes or supervises technical support to bidding and tendering processes, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of shortlists of suitable contractors/suppliers for purchases of value over designated amounts for approval of designated officer
- Preparation and issuance of EOI, RFQ, ITB, RFP or other tender documents as required, ensuring their conformity with UNOPS approved templates or seeking legal clearance in case of required adjustments;
- Together with the requesting programme/operations clients, support review and evaluation of bids or proposals received and preparation of analysis for less-complex, contract awards and for submission to the LCPC or other, statutory, designated body
- Preparation of HQCPC, or designated body, submission together with the requesting programme/operations component
- Organizing of LCPC (or desiganted, statutory body) meetings as may be required, and circulating at least 24 hours in advance documents for review
- Maintenance of records of LCPC or designated, statutory body
Supports efficient contract administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Follow-up signing of contracts by vendors
- Obligation of funds in Enterprise system and obtaining of appropriate signatures for approval
- Dissemination of contract advertisement and awards
- Maintenance of contracts and filing system
- Maintenance of databases/rosters of best suppliers, contractors and service providers, activities and statistics
- Facilitates the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development.
- Provides oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Organizes, facilitates and/or delivers training and learning initiatives for personnel on procurement
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in procurement
- Collects feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively
Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
- Secondary school diploma is required
- University Degree in Procurement and/or Supply Chain Management, Law, Commerce, Business Administration, or related areas is desirable but not required
- Relevant certification in procurement and supply chain management (CIPS or similar) is a distinct advantage
- A minimum of six years of relevant experience in providing procurement support services in national and/or international public or corporate organisations is required. BA or MA degree may substitute for some years of experience.
- Supervisory experience of personnel in procurement support services is an asset.
- Fluency in Serbian and English is required
- Driving license and ability to travel independently is required
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Ongoing ICA
Contract level: Local ICA 6
Contract duration: Open-ended subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and/or to satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Belgrade (Serbia)
- Grade: LICA-6, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-08-26