The events and developments of the past four years have resulted in a Ukraine faced with geo-political, social and economic insecurity unmatched in its history as an independent state. As a consequence, the region widely known as the Donbas continues to be inhibited by long-standing governance deficits, combined with a major long-term economic decline and deindustrialization that has been off-set by (at best) stagnant economic development in the past several years, and high levels of political and social insecurity. To respond to the crisis and the challenges triggered by the conflict, UNDP has been implementing the Recovery and Peacebuilding Programme (RPP) in five conflict-affected regions of eastern Ukraine: Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts (main target regions), as well as Kharkiv, Dnipro, and Zaporizhzhya oblasts, with some limited activities in Zhytomyr Oblast, providing a contrast to eastern Ukraine. The RPP is aligned to the Recovery and Peacebuilding Assessment and comprises three components: (1) economic recovery and restoration of critical infrastructure; (2) local governance and decentralization reform; (3) community security and social cohesion.To ensure the increased visibility and promotion of the work of UNDP in eastern Ukraine, UNDP invites applications from highly qualified and experienced Ukrainian professionals for the post of Communication Associate.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Communications Specialist and overall guidance of Technical Specialist RPP, the Communication Associate will undertake the following tasks:
- Develop and implement Project/Programme communication and media plans at national and regional levels;
- Prepare press releases, media advisories, and feature stories for UNDP website and social networks on various issues relevant to the Programme objectives in both English and Ukrainian languages;
- Serve as a focal point and liaise with local media, including editors and journalists in key local news outlets with the objective to facilitate reporting on the UNDP’s development efforts in eastern Ukraine;
- Process media enquiries and requests for interviews from local journalists, NGOs, external partners;
- Under overall guidance of Communication Specialist, arrange interviews for various media outlets as part of the Programme/Project activities;
- Develop information and briefing notes on request of UNDP senior management;
- Edit and format project reports and promotion materials and ensure that Programme/Project promotion materials meet UN communications requirements;
- Coordinate the work of production and printing agencies involved in the creation of audio/video/animation/print products on the request of the Project/Programme;
- Organize press tours press conferences, and other media-related events as part of the Programme/Project’s activities;
- Update official UNDP Ukraine social media platform (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to ensure dissemination of the Programme/Project achievements;
- Ensure that booklets, factsheets, newsletters and other information materials for both internal and external audiences are regularly updated;
- Prepare relevant background documents and assist in organizing donor and corporate missions, as well as organizing of audio-visual and media coverage of programme activities and achievements;
- Assist in designing and implementing targeted communication campaigns;
- Work with relevant units and personnel in assisting the Programme/Project to develop proposals and concept notes, which include outreach, advocacy and communication components;
- Maintain and update a library of reference materials, such as reports, communications tools, booklets and photographs, and videos of Programme activities;
- Prepare media monitoring reports on Programme/Project activities;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Programme/Project and /or UNDP management.
Performance Indicators for evaluation of results:
- Annual communications strategy and plans of the of the RPP are fully and timly implemented in strict accordance with UNDP rules and procedures;
- Communications and outreach activities successfully implemented;
- Communication delivery reached 100%.
Measurable Outputs of the Work Assignment:
- Communications strategy and work plans are timely implemented;
- Communications activities are carried out in alignment with UNDP corporate rules and regulations.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Basic research and analytical skills;
- Results-Based Approach;
- Strong communication skills;
- Client orientation;
- Quality Assurance;
- Self-Management and emotional intelligence;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with minimum or no supervision as well as part of a team;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Familiarity with UN/UNDP procurement management procedures and experience with ATLAS would be an asset;
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise;
- High level of creativity and excellent writing skills;
- Ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Required Skills and Experience
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Public Relations (PR), Communications, Journalism, Social Sciences, Linguistics, media/public relations/communications or other relevant area. Advanced degree is desirable, but it is not a requirement;
- Minimum 3 years with Bachelor of relevant experience in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, media/public relations/communications or other relevant sphere;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Solid experience in report writing, editing, drafting;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Knowledge of and experience with social media applications;
- Experience in developing and implementing information campaigns will be a strong asset;
- Professional fluency in English, Russian, Ukrainian languages.
- Click on the "Apply now" button.
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. You can type in or paste your Resume into the last box.
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume. Instead of uploading your Resume, please submit a fully completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (P-11). When completing the Form and, even though not currently requested, please include email addresses for your Supervisors.
- Without the completed and signed P11 your application will not be considered. The UNDP Personal History Form can be downloaded at link. Failure to disclose prior employment or making false representations on this form will be grounds for withdrawal of further consideration of his/her application or termination, where the appointment or contract has been issued.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and please ensure that copies of your educational qualifications are available when contacted.
This is a locally recruited position and no expatriation benefits will apply.DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 27 AUGUST 2018UNDP will use a transparent and competitive screening process, though will only contact those applicants in whom there is further interest. Applications may only be submitted for specific vacancy. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Kramatorsk (Ukraine)
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2018-09-10