Operating since 2004 in Lebanon, DRC has addressed the needs and rights of vulnerable populations, working initially with Palestinian refugees (since 2004), Iraqi refugees (2007-2010), Lebanese IDPs (during the 2006 conflict), migrant domestic workers (since 2009) and, since 2011, responding to the Syrian refugee crisis.
DRC Lebanon is currently delivering programming in protection, housing, infrastructure, basic assistance, livelihoods, and community development interventions. This myriad programming seeks to address the immediate needs of displaced populations and concurrently support vulnerable host populations. DRC has five offices spread throughout Lebanon in, Beirut, the Bekaa, Saida, Tripoli and Qobayat.
About the job
The Legal Consultant will be responsible for providing technical supervision of DRC’s legal program which includes: legal awareness, individual counseling and court representation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and review existing informational materials regarding legal services, civil documentation, residency, and other relevant legal issues.
- Make recommendations and provide on the job coaching to improve quality of legal program.
- Support legal team to achieve activities’ objectives and targets.
- Provide regular support to the field legal teams to ensure harmonization of approaches, tools and standards of operation among all field offices.
- In coordination with Protection Managers and the Protection Coordinator, advise on broader legal services programming strategy and potential mainstreaming opportunities for legal assistance within DRC programs.
- Identify, review and prepare protection cases in need of court representation and coordination with external legal firms contracted for this activity on national or field level. Advise field legal teams on how to better identify, counsel and accompany clients through the court process. Brief Protection Specialist on status of court cases on a bi-weekly basis.
- Regularly monitor and analyze ongoing trends in Lebanon and in the region as related to protection and legal programming, and provide regular updates on these trends and how they affect programming.
- Participate in the submission of timely, accurate and well-written donor reports and other reporting requirements (incl. Donors’ reports and Activity info).
- Lead the recruitment of qualified legal consultants and lawyers when needed and act as focal points for the delivery of external legal representation services.
- Support DRC on national and field level on developing a common analyses and shared learning to support advocacy efforts.
- Maintain positive work relationship within the team, and promote team-building efforts with respect to internal DRC HR/Admin rules and procedures.
To be successful in this role you must have at least five years of prior professional legal experience in Lebanon, ideally specializing in services provided to vulnerable clients and refugees.
- Experience providing legal counseling and assistance on issues including HLP, employment law, civil status and criminal issues.
- Experience interacting with judicial, security and administrative authorities.
- Good knowledge of refugee context, as well as demonstrated ability to identify and refer vulnerable cases, is desirable.
- Experience working for an international organization
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a consultancy contract until 31st of March 2019, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work from ASAP, and be willing and able to travel to the Beqaa and the North.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or go to www.drc.ngo under current vacancies.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
Applications close 21st of August 2018. The interviews are expected to take place in the following week.
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that applications sent directly to Christele Hage will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Beirut (Lebanon)
- Grade: Consultant - Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Legal - Broad
- Closing Date: 2018-08-20