Base Manager- Duhok
Duhok- National Contract
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job
The Base Manager Duhok is responsible for smooth running of the operations managed from Duhok field office. This includes leading overall operations, providing
necessary supports to the program team in Duhok in coordination with Area Manager, Mosul. The position manages the supply chain and finance staff based in
Duhok and also performs all administrative & HR function required – including representation and liaising with local government and authorities. The position is
primary point of contact from external government agencies in Duhok.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
1. Program Support
- Provide planning support (procurement planning, budget planning, program and tranining organizations etc.) to the program staff as required.
- Regularly review, update and share information management databses and trackers with the program team.
- Participate in any future assessments and provide inputs on new project development.
2. External Coordination, Safety & Liasion
- Represent DRC before relevant local authorities and coordination bodies in the area of responsibilities.
- Liaise with local authorities and relevant actors to secure necessary authorisations and clearances as required.
- Engage with relevant local & national actors and actively participate in relevant clusters, sectors and working groups and other meetings in the area of operations for the purposes of coordination, fundraising etc.
- Monitor the safety of DRC staff, assets and operations in the area of responsibilities, in coordination with the Area Manager and Safety Advisor.
- Monitor local context regularly and provide update to the Area Manager & Safety Manager.
- Liase and cooridnate with the Finance Assistant to submit all financial reports to the Area office in a timely manner.
- Monitor operation budget for Duhok and coordinate with Support Services Manager Mosul for any discrepancies and updates.
- Perform spot checks on finance files before sending them to the Country Office.
4. Supply Chain
- Provide procurement planning support to the program staff as and when required and follow up on the procurement plan to facilitate the smooth procurement services.
- Participate in opening bids, evaluation of bids and make sure the bid evaluation reports, technical evaluations, minutes of negotiations and negotiated contract in selection of suppliers contain all the facts and information required to justify the recommendations made in the report.
- Review supply chain reports from Duhok to Area Office on regular basis.
5. Adminstration & Human Resources
- Perform all administrative functions for areas of responsibility including but not limited to office management and securing external authorisations.
- Ensure that performance appraisals of all staff in area of responsibility are done in a timely manner.
- Ensure proper orientation is provided to all incoming staff and proper exit process is followed for outgoing staff in coordination with Mosul Area HR Officer.
6. Addition Tasks
- Liaise with Support Services Manager Mosul for DRC Dynamics implementation in the area of responsibilities.
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Iraq programme Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Code of Conduct.
- This job description is not a definitive task list but has been done to clarify the responsibilities of the employee.
- Reports to: Area Manager
To be successful in this role we expect you to have the following:
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- University degree in Economics, Development Studies, Operation Management or similar;
- Experience of working with UN or Non-Governmental Organisations.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in operation management & coordination
- Understanding of the local context, legislation related to NGOs and external actors in relation to humanitarian actions
- Understanding of the basic rules and regulations of major international donors;
- Excellent skills MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Power point
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills;
- Experience in supervising staff;
- Experience in training and capacity-building of staff.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
- Commitment to and understanding of DRC’s aims, values and principles
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- University Degree in Economics or Development Studies or Operations Management or similar
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- English (Fluent)
- Arabic (Fluent)
- Kurdish (Fluent)
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Support Services Manager Mosul
- Finance Manager Mosul
- Program Manager Mosul
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 31 December 2018
Designation of Duty Station: Mosul
Start date: As soon as possible
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 23-August-2018
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo