Operations Associate (Open to PNG Nationals ONLY)
Port Moresby (Papua New Guinea)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the direct supervision of the UN Women Operations Manager, the Operations Associate provides the overall administrative support and carries out varied and inter-related operational, financial and logistical activities ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Operations Associate is results and client oriented producing administrative services of the highest quality in a timely and proactive fashion.
The Operations Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and projects staff in the Country Office (CO), the Regional Office and HQs Units to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Administration and implementation of operational support services;
- Budgetary and financial administration support;
- Human Resources Management services support;
- Procurement and Logistical services support;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Administration and implementation of operational support services:
- In collaboration with the Operations Team, review the quality and timeliness of services provided by reference to corporate standards and by reference to standards/indicators established within the Office and Operations Unit;
- Carry out business processes mapping and establishment of internal standard operating procedures in Finance, Human Resources Management, Procurement, logistical, and ICT services;
- Support Office compliance of operations with UN/UN Women rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets and monitoring of achievement of results;
- Under the oversight of the supervisor and in collaboration with the Operations team develop an annual Work-plan for the Operations Team;
- Participate in UN Operations Management Team for effectiveness, efficiency, coherence and impact of UN operational activities;
- Work closely with the Regional Office and HQs on follow-up to audit recommendations and observations.
Budgetary and financial administration support:
- Ensure full compliance with UN Women rules and regulations of financial processes, and implementation of the effective internal control framework;
- Support Office Management in the budgetary planning and monitoring;
- Ensure all financial transactions are identified, recorded and verified in compliance with IPSAS as outlined in the corporate policies and procedures;
- Review and verify accuracy and relevancy of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports;
- Monitor financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and ensure investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions;
- Manage cash receipts and petty cash and record deposits in Atlas;
- Maintain up to date and accurate data in Atlas and take timely corrective actions on erroneous data;
- Ensure that all supporting documents on financial transactions are secured and properly filed;
- Back up the Finance Associate in the Finance User and Verifying Officer roles in ATLAS.
Human Resources Management services support:
- Support Office Management to ensure full compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies;
- Facilitate recruitment processes in accordance with UN women rules and regulations;
- Support contract management including appropriate use of different contractual modalities;
- Help ensure proper administration of staff benefits and entitlements and ensure staff is advised on request on entitlements;
- Support the Office Management in the maintenance and implementation of the proper performance management and learning strategy for the office.
Procurement and Logistical services support:
- Ensure full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UN Women rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Implementation of the effective internal control, proper functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system;
- Prepare procurement plans for the office and support their implementation monitoring;
- Review of procurement processes including submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee and Advisory Committee on Procurement;
- Organize joint procurement processes for the UN Agencies in line with the UN reform;
- Ensure proper management of UN Women assets, facilities and logistical services; and
- Identify and promote different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning including e-registry, web-based office management systems etc.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Contribute to knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations within the Office;
- Organize trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Operations related issues;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices and sound contributions to relevant knowledge networks and communities of practices;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Support other operations related activities as may be needed and requested by supervisor.
Key Performance Indicators:
The key results have an impact on the overall effectiveness of the Regional Office Programme implementation and on the efficiency and effectiveness of the use of corporate resources, human, financial and material and the safety of staff and assets of UN Women. The key results also impact on the image of the organization and its ability to deliver on its mandate.
- All services are provided in compliance with UN Women rules, regulations and policies;
- Finances are properly identified and in a timely manner;
- Timely and accurate implementation of procurement contracts;
- Timely and accurate implementation of HR contracts;
- Audit process is efficient.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good knowledge of administrative and financial rules and regulations;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to extract and interpret data;
- Ability to manage business processes re-engineering, and implementation of new systems;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Strong IT skills;
- Ability to priorities work and to multi-task;
- Ability to handle web-based management systems.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education.
- University Degree in Business, Administration and Finance, would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 7 years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, procurement, human resources or logistic support services at the national or international level;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.