Market Intelligence Consultant
Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Financed by the Government of Switzerland and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the Municipal Environmental and Economic Governance (MEG) Project is a newly-launched 12-year intervention in the domain of local governance in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The Project’s overall goal is defined as follows: Local governments (LGs), assigned with appropriate competences and finances, have improved their democratic governance, apply sound public policy and performance management systems, and provide public services in an inclusive, effective and efficient manner, particularly those related to economic and environmental sectors.The expected concrete improvements the Project will contribute to are clustered in three outcomes, as follows:
- Outcome 1: Supported local governments apply effective development management systems characterized by stronger oversight of the legislative and greater accountability towards the citizens.
- Outcome 2: Citizens and businesses in target localities benefit from good quality services provided by LGs in the economic and environmental sectors.
- Outcome 3: Improved regulatory framework at higher and local government levels.
The Project’s territorial focus is on the North-West part of the country (including Una-Sana Canton and Prijedor region) and the North-East region (the wider Doboj-Tuzla area), covering 18 partner LGs: Bihac, Bosanska Krupa, Cazin, Doboj, Gracanica, Gradacac, Gradiška, Kalesija, Kostajnica, Kozarska Dubica, Prijedor, Prnjavor, Sanski Most, Tešanj, Teslic, Tuzla, Velika Kladuša and Žepce.The Project is implemented in partnership with the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Relations of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Ministry of Development, Entrepreneurship and Crafts of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (FBiH), the FBiH Ministry of Agriculture, Water Management and Forestry, the Ministry for Administration and Local Self-Government of Republika Srpska (RS), the RS Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Management and both entity Associations of Municipalities and Cities (AMCs).The purpose of the consultancy is to contribute to strengthening of market intelligence capacities of the private companies located in the MEG partner localities. In this regard, a National Consultant for design and delivery of training programme on Market intelligence (hereinafter – the Consultant) will be engaged.The objective of the consultancy is to design training programme and training materials on Market intelligence (MI), deliver training to approximately 24-30 participants,( i.e. private companies managers and decision-makers involved or working directly or indirectly with strategic planning; professionals in the marketing area involved with market research; product managers, planning managers, business development managers and all other professionals involved with providing Market Intelligence services-potential future trainers).This activity will take place within the economic development component, with the aim to strengthen competitiveness of the local businesses.
Duties and Responsibilities
Market intelligence (MI) is a key tool for better decision making, strategic planning, success, and even survival for companies today, and it comes from the strategic use of a carefully analyzed key data and information.
The main objectives of this assistance are:
- to raise understanding of MI from a managerial perspective;
- to provide knowledge and skills that will enable beneficiaries (training participants) to utilize MI effectively.
The Consultant is expected to design the training package, deliver the training to the target group and develop a MI Manual - Guidelines.The entire service will be delivered in the languages of BiH peoples. The expected timeframe for delivery of the service October- December 2018.More concretely, the Consultant will be expected to perform the below described tasks.
Task 1 – Design training packageWithin this task, the Consultant is expected to design a comprehensive and practical training programme on MI. The focus of the training program will be on the practical examples and solutions that can be applied in BiH, especially for the following industries: wood-processing, metal-processing (including plastic products), textile (production of leather products and garment included) and food-processing.The Consultant will explore current use of MI tools and procedures in BiH and the findings will be incorporated into training program/materials.The training will help the target group to understand how MI can be used to improve a company’s business model and shapes its strategic direction. The training program is envisaged as a 4-days learning event, structured to allow active involvement of participants by using different training technics, such as group exercises, simulations, role-playing, guided discussion, etc.The expected/potential training topics should contain, but not be limited to:
- Understanding how to gather, analyze and report information, as well as identification of the relevant information and sources of information;
- How to develop and implement an MI plan;
- How to apply MI tools and techniques into business strategy;
- How to report MI information in a fashion that facilitates generating a cohesive view of the company’s market situation and enhances decision making;
- All other issues/topics relevant to the efficient use of MI.
The training package will include:
- Training modules and PowerPoint presentations;
- Hand-outs for participants: reading materials and exercises for individual/group work, check lists, case-studies, models of acts, tools and procedures.
The training materials will be prepared in the languages of peoples of BiH and submitted to MEG Project team for approval. It is envisaged that this task will be delivered by mid-October 2018 and the level of effort will not exceed 15 expert days.
Task 2 – Delivery of the trainingThe training program will be delivered in line with the approved training schedule - four (4) training sessions to 2 training groups (two two-day training sessions per training group), with 12-15 participants in each training group, coming from private companies or development agencies or other organization involved in MI and located in MEG partner LGs.The foreseen training events will be organized in Bihac and Tuzla. Logistics in relation to organizing training events will be provided by the MEG project. The Consultant is expected to prepare and deliver the finalized training materials in electronic form to MEG Project team at least 7 (seven) days before the scheduled training.It is envisaged that this task will be delivered by the end of November 2018 and the level of effort will not exceed 10 expert days (4 days per training per training group, 2 training groups + 2 days for reporting).
Task 3 – Development of the MI Manual – GuidelinesBased on inputs collected during delivery of training, the Consultant will develop MI Manual – Guidelines for private businesses. The Manual will, in addition to the general part intended for all business entities, especially handle the most perspective industries with specific MI tips, such as potential sources of data for listed industries, specific ethical, legal and regulatory issues, lessons learned, etc.It is envisaged that this task will be delivered by mid-December 2018 and the level of effort will not exceed 10 expert days.
# Deliverables / outputs # of days per task Due date Percentage1 Task 1 – Design training package
- Training package designed and endorsed by the MEG team. 15 October 15, 2018 42.8
2 Task 2 – Delivery of the training
- The 4 (four) two-days training sessions, for up to 15 participants each, held.
- Participant lists collected and submitted.
- Evaluation forms submitted.
- Post-training report with major comments and findings submitted to the MEG team. 10 November 30, 2018 28.6
3 Task 3 – Development of the MI Manual – Guidelines
- MI Manual – Guidelines developed and endorsed by the MEG team. 10 December 21, 2018 28.6
Corporate Responsibility and Teamwork:
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Plans, prioritizes and delivers tasks on time;
- Strives for and promotes excellence in performance continually;
- Participates effectively in a team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others;
- Generates ideas and seizes opportunities to support corporate strategic objectives.
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to the ideas, interests, and concerns of others;
- Ensures others’ understanding of, involvement in, and adaptation to a change process.
- Plans and procedures quality results to meet established goals.
- Technical writing skills, formulates written information clearly and persuasively;
- Strong communication skills;
- Shares information openly with co-workers and partners while using discretion to protect confidences;
- Presents information in a clear and articulate manner.
Job Knowledge and Expertise:
- Strong analytical skills;
- Expertise and knowledge in the field of market intelligence;
- General expertise and knowledge on issues related to the Wood processing industry, metal processing industry (including plastic products), textile industry and food processing industry.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in economics or other relevant studies.
- Valid trainer certificate from renowned institution in the field of training design and delivery will be considered as an asset.
- At least 5 years of relevant and proven professional experience in training design and delivery in the area of economic development, preferably with a focus on market intelligence (previous experience with UNDP is an asset).
- Fluency in official Bosnia and Herzegovina languages, and in English.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office applications) and ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource
Documents to be Included When Submitting the Proposals
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:1. Proposal:
- Cover Letter;
2. Financial proposal3. Personal CV including past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- *Technical Criteria weight-70%;
- *Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Applicants are required to submit an application including:
- Completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (downloadable from http://www.ba.undp.org/content/bosnia_and_herzegovina/en/home/operations/jobs.html);
- Financial proposal which will separately specify professional fee, indicating number of anticipated working days, travel costs (air-ticket or use of private vehicle), living allowance, and all other applicable costs.
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
Technical evaluation criteria
Criteria Weight Max. PointTechnical 100
- At least 5 years of relevant and proven professional experience in training design and delivery in the area of economic development.15,15;
- Expertise and knowledge in the field of market intelligence. 35,35;
- General expertise and knowledge on issues related to the wood processing industry, metal processing industry (including plastic products), textile industry and food processing industry. 20,20;
- Financial 30 30
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 62 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy;
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Grade: National Consultant - Locally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Trade and Development
- Security and Safety
- Closing Date: 2018-09-09