FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations
depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The crisis in Nigeria, located mainly around the Lake Chad Basin, is a complex emergency characterized by food insecurity, violence and displacement. Furthermore, subsistence based livelihoods are impacted upon by climate-induced desertification, drought, receding lake/water stress. The FAO Lake Chad Strategy 2017-2019 includes ensuring sustainable and equitable access to resources and services as well as sustainable improvement of livelihood opportunities are therefore critical priorities.
FAO in collaboration with UNWOMEN and WFP has received support from the European Development Fund (EDF) under the EU Support to Response, Recovery and Resilience in Borno State, to implement a 3-year programme to restore and improve sustainable agriculture-based livelihoods for food security, employment, and nutrition improvement in Borno State. FAOâs interventions include supporting smallholder farmers (especially youth) to have diversified food source and income by enhancing nutrition sensitive value chain development for aquaculture.
The Aquaculture Specialist reports to the FAO Representative (FAOR) through the Deputy FAOR in Maiduguri and the project coordinator.
For the effective field management of project implementation, FAO requires the services of an aquaculture officer. In particular he/she will be responsible for ensuring the technical soundness and timeliness of activities in his field of competencies in the design, planning, supervision of the implementation and monitoring phases of fish farming and processing activities of the project and related activities.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the FAO Representative for Nigeria through the Deputy FAOR in Maiduguri, and with direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, in close collaboration with national and international consultants in the project team, the incumbent will undertake the following activities\:
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
FAO Core Competencies
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the FAO Personnel Profile form at the FAOâs iRecruitment system link below http\://www.fao.org/employment/vacancies/consultants/en/ OR Taleo\: https\://jobs.fao.org/careersection/fao_external/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to their application.
All applications should be forwarded to FAO-NG@fao.org
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing).
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- Candidates with acceptable language certificate/s should upload them when submitting their application. For details, visit http\://www.fao.org/3/I8446EN/i8446en.pdf
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website\: http\://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- For further information on categories, contract duration and honoraria, please refer to the Conditions page.
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Maiduguri (Nigeria)
- Grade: Consultant - Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Water Resource Management
- Sustainable use of oceans, seas and marine resources
- Closing Date: 2018-08-29