Deputy Director, Policy Bureau & Manager, Knowledge & Expertise
New York City (United States of America)
- Strategy Development Work Planning, Budgeting and Reporting;
- Strategies to mobilize financial resources and ensure effective utilization by K&E staff:
- Mobilize, foster and strengthen strategic partnerships with UN and other relevant bodies and provide substantive inputs to those partnerships
- Manage UNDP relationships with multilateral agreements
- Represent the K&E Unit in UNDP’s corporate discussions, in inter-agency coordination and in other fora to engage partners in advancing the strategic agenda of the Policy Function
- Advocate the importance of the SDGs in various international fora.
- Strategic Planning, Management & Leadership;
- Policy Development & Dialogue;
- Overall Management & Resource Mobilization;
- Partnerships, Representation & Advocacy;
- Knowledge Management & Knowledge Sharing.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and manage the technical, operational and financial strategy for the implementation of Global Policy Network’s global vision and strategy, and the substantive technical and managerial leadership required to implement it.
- Direct and substantively guide the Unit to achieve and maintain coherent development policies and programming frameworks in support of the implementation of the SDGs and Agenda 2030 in all development situations.
- Provide authoritative leadership, supervision and guidance to the knowledge domains within the SDGs in their provision of sustainable development policy services to country offices in support of programming and ensuring the relevance of those services.
- Ensure the delivery of world renowned expertise through the SDG knowledge domains that create global recognition of UNDP as the authority, source of innovation and effective core of the global community on issues of sustainable development.
- Facilitate the environment and approve strategies to mobilize programme financial resources and ensure the effective utilization of cross-cutting exchange of knowledge and collaborative themes.
- Champion, influence and promote the advance of policy dialogue in the K&E pillar and the synthesis of knowledge emerging from the development and implementation of projects.
- In collaboration with the SSM Unit, contribute to the transparent management of the vertical funds, regional and global projects while ensuring the full use and application of the corporate planning and reporting systems.
- Support corporate partners (BERA, BMS, Regional Bureaux) to contribute to their agenda, upgrade the delivery of development products and services, and ensure collective success in delivering the goals of the Strategic Plan.
- Serve as a full member of the Organizational Performance Group (OPG) chaired by the Associate Administrator and coordinate GPN-wide inputs to OPG led processes.
- Represent the Policy Bureau in Deputy-level coordination mechanisms on change management and other policy consultation mechanisms.
- Ensure the establishment of management systems that capture, register, codify and assign incoming tasks as well as proposals generated in-house within the SDG knowledge domains.
- Steer and guide the parameters needed to create multidimensional “response teams” by defining generic roles and responsibilities and a project-based methodology for delivery and completion of tasks.
- Lead the creation of the business process design, work plans, work flows and terms of references for the Development Gateway Response Teams (DGRT) with definitions and behavioral indicators for team participation. Ensure the inclusion of skills that contribute to innovation e.g. associative thinking, questioning, observing, networking and expertimenting.
- Build the case for the creation and maintenance of an architecture that builds a repository of development knowledge (DevKnow) for the organization, that collects metrics on the three demand tracks, and offers one-stop-shop access to finalized pieces and articules of development knowledge such as briefings, concept papers, project document, official communication statements etc.
- Use Development Gateway data and performance analysis to predict the probability of success and enable technical adjustments on changing priorities. Establishes internal guidelines and supervises the design and formulation for an integrated global network.
- Directs and substantively guides the cadre of SDG expertise across the GPN. Develops the UNDP position on critical technical and policy issues relevant to the engagement with the entire cadre.
- Engages in policy development and dialogue with a broad range of internal and external partners and stakeholders on a wide range of sustainable human development issues.
- Leads, coordinates, and empowers the GPN Hubs and teams across five regional hubs and Headquarters (New York & Geneva), creating an enabling environment for excellence and innovation.
- Oversee the management of financial, material, human resources, pipeline and portfolio development, management, oversight and reporting, negotiation and liaison with operational partners, as well as directing the preparation, implementation and monitoring of the business plans of the regional/global projects.
- Facilitates strategies to mobilize financial resources and ensure effective utilization of resources managed by the GPN.
- Identify and develop new SDG finance opportunities to optimize programme impact as well as ensuring the financial viability of the unit, including through the systematic identification, appraisal, development, negotiation, and bringing on line of new SDG finance opportunities that can be offered to partner countries.
- Ensure effective collaboration within the partnerships of the vertical funds, the World Bank, as well as UN System Agencies, the private sector and non-governmental organizations.
- Coordinate and oversee the development of strategic partnerships, working with the Regional and Central Bureaux to ensure the development of a growing global portfolio for the SDGS.
- Represents UNDP in key policy fora and interactions.
- Oversee and promote the advance of policy dialogue in through cross-regional, cross-thematic exchange of knowledge and collaboration, and synthesize knowledge emerging from the development and implementation of programmes.
- Deliver high quality intellectual leadership on UNDP’s sustainable human development, including in crisis contexts, knowledge products and services through quality assurance, strategic guidance and oversight.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Ability to productively share UNDP knowledge and activities (at UN and other venues).
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
- Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside (Programmes/projects) or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Sets overall direction for the formation and management of strategic relationships contributing to the overall positioning of UNDP
- Ability to manage and coordinate campaigns and people with inspiration.
- Believe in and promote diversity in the workplace and reshaping the workforce to meet need.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Masters) in Development Studies, Physical/Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Economics or related disciplines.
- At least 15 years of progressively responsible and relevant technical experience and expertise in sustainable human development in development-related organizations as well as experience in programme and project planning and analysis, business systems, HR management and budgeting;
- Proven track record of management, technical leadership and resource mobilization skills;
- Experience in developing country settings, including those with complex crisis challenges.
- Excellent knowledge of English, both written and oral.
- Working knowledge of another UN language is desirable.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: New York City (United States of America)
- Grade: D-2, Director - Internationally recruited position - Senior Executive level
- Operations and Administrations
- Legal - Broad
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-08-29