Security Officer (National Position)
Shoraw, 0152 Kirkuk
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC in Iraq
The unfolding crisis in Iraq is one of the most complex humanitarian emergencies in the world today, with millions of uprooted Iraqis, and hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees. For the past several years, millions of people have been displaced from and within Iraq as a result of military operations. At the end of 2015, the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) began a military operation to enter and retake control of parts of the country under the control of armed opposition groups, especially in the Anbar governorate. Civilians have been caught in the crossfire.
NRC has been present in Iraq since 2010, with offices located in Baghdad, Erbil, Dohuk, Kirkuk and Mosul. We have scaled up our response across Iraq to meet the large-scale crisis facing the country, reaching Iraqis with emergency assistance and supporting Syrian refugees as they live in exile. Our goal is to always be prepared to work in new settings, so we are establishing more local partnerships in Iraq. Additionally, NRC is part of the UNICEF and WFP-led Rapid response mechanism (RRM), which enables us to reach newly displaced populations with the most urgent life-saving assistance.
Today, NRC is one of the biggest cash providers in Iraq. Our emergency assistance also includes distributing food rations, hygiene kits, water and basic non-food items (NFIs). In the winter months, we also provide blankets and heaters. We pay particular attention to gender equality and ending gender-based violence (GBV).
Security Officer- Kirkuk
The purpose of the Security Officer Position is to support and oversee and responsible for implementing security and safety policies at NRC Kirkuk area office and sub-offices belong to Kirkuk. and explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
Our Ideal Candidate:
A university graduate in a relevant field(s) with previous experience in humanitarian/recovery settings, especially in complex and volatile environments. Knowledge of the context in Iraq particularly in Kirkuk and KRI region, Experience in very tense security context, Fluency in English and Arabic, both verbal and written is required, knowledge of Kurdish or Turkman is an asset.
Role Specific Information
- Management of security section (Security assistant, Guards) in the Kirkuk area office
- Plan & Develop capacity of security personnel of the Kirkuk area office
- Update and improve security management plan for Kirkuk office
- Conduct swift security assessments and full Security Risk Assessments (SRA) in Hawija and Kirkuk according to minimum operational requirements (MOSS)
- Development and implementation of SOPs for security management for Hawija and Kirkuk
- Ensure NRC operations in the area are MOSS compliant and introduces contextual relevant SOP’s and contingency plans
- Minimize security risks to the operations of NRC in Kirkuk area
- Support the Area Manager in assessment/analysis of politico-social-economical-security information of the Kirkuk governorate
- Support for setting up of NRC satellite offices Hawija district
- Provide security training to programme staff, drivers and guards
- Conduct security risk assessment for NRC premises
- Train staff on usage of communication equipment
- Prepare Travel SOP for Kirkuk movement
- Preparation and submission of periodical reports to AM and CSM
Contract period: 6 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Kirkuk Area Office
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
For more information, please find enclosed the job description.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Shoraw, 0152 Kirkuk
- Grade: Mid level
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Security and Safety
- Closing Date: 2018-08-29