Protection Officer ( Case Management)
Duty Station [Tripoli,Libya]
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
Who are we?
Danish refugee council has been operating in Libya and Tunisia since 2011 focusing on protection of the displaced and conflict affected population. These include refugees, asylum seekers and economic migrants in Tripoli area and in the south west of the country, the population in and around Sirte affected by unexploded ordnance (UXOs) and to an increasing extent on the legal and illegal migrants and stateless populations in Libya. DRC/DDG has its head office in Tripoli and a field office in Sabha. Sabha is located 800 km south of Tripoli and is a central transit point for migrants and is home to large numbers of minority groups and stateless populations.
About the job :
The Protection Officer (Case Management) is responsible for effectively contributing to the DRC’s protection program by being directly responsible for the implementation of a case management process for migrants and refugees with critical protection needs. To this end, and under the supervision of the Protection Team Leader (Services & Assistance) and of the Protection Manager, the Protection Officer is responsible for analyzing the protection needs of a small caseload of individuals and for developing and implementing appropriate protection responses. The Protection Officer is expected to build positive relationships with individual beneficiaries, local communities and humanitarian partners as relevant so as to ensure quality and efficiency in the delivery of services.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
• Provide general protection case management services in compliance with DRC’s standards and SOPs by conducting individualized assessment of protection needs and risks, developing case plans in collaboration with individual beneficiaries and ensuring their effective access to services through the direct services provision and services referrals. To this end, ensure regular follow-up on the indidivuals situation, needs and access to services until case closure.
• At all times safeguard the safety and respect of the individual, in addition to the confidentiality of his/her information and his/her right to access services without any discrimination. Ensure that the agency of individuals is respected and promoted by ensuring that they are a the center of the decision making process throughout the case management process.
• Attend internal case review meetings in order to identify the individuals who need to be followed through a comprehensive case management process and ensure that the follow-ups on open cases are conducted effcietienly
• In coordination with the Protection Team Leader (Services & Assistance) ensure provision of feedback regarding actions taken to other agencies, when necessary and appropriate in light of confidentiality requirements
• Conduct any other programatic tasks related to the provision of protection services and direct assistance as instructed by the Protection Team Leader (Services & Assistance) and the Protection Manager (Mixed Migration)
• Ensure that all documents and forms related to the case management process, including case plans, services referral forms, informed consent forms and receipts if services delivered are produced and updated in a timely fashion to ensure the quality and efficiency of the intervention.
• Use dedicated information management systems and dataaset to centralize and update information on the case management process and ensure compliance with DRC’s data protection protocol when doing so.
Representation and coordination :
• Ensure that all interaction with individual beneficiaries take place in an environment and in a way that respect and promotes their safety, trust and dignity. Ensure that all interactions other stakeholders such as community members and service providers are conducted in accordance to the principles of respect, confidentiality and collaboration.
• In coordination with the Protection Team Leader (Services & Assistance) and the Protection Manager (Mixed Migration), participate in case conference meetings - including inter-agency case conferences - for high-risk cases and/or complex cases as relevant.
• Contribute to the effective implementation of support activites related to te effective implementation of the program, including in terms of logistics, administration, human resources, finance and security. In all matters, comply with internal directive and policies as communicated by the Protection Manager.
About you :
- 2 years of professional experience in the field of social work, humanitarian assistance, human rights, community development or any other relevant field
- Previous experience working international and national NGOs
- Knowledge of the protection and humanitarian issues affecting migrants and refugees in Libya. Knowledge of the protection assessment and case management processes.
- Proven capacity to represent an international NGO to external stakeholders in a positive and professional manner. Capacity to engage with various communities and individuals so as to build trusts and confidence.
- High-level of computer literacy and proven capacity to write short activity reports
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- University Degree in the field of social sciences, humanitarian affairs, international law, development or any other related field
Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic.
Basic knowledge of French an asset
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
We offer :
Type of Contract: National Contract
Contract length: 6 months ( with possibility of extension )
Duty Station: Tripoli
Start date: September 01st, 2018
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: August 23rd , 2018
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Tripoli (Libya)
- Grade: Mid level
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-23