Procurement and Supply Chain Specialist
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Under the overall guidance of the Operational Hub Director and Representative and direct supervision of the Head of Support Services, the Procurement & Supply Chain Specialist leads and is a team member of Procurement Section, responsible for effective delivery of procurement and supply chain services in order to obtain the best value for money. He/she analyzes and interprets the financial rules and regulations and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to procurement & supply chain management. The Procurement & Supply Chain Specialist promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Unit.
- Ensure full compliance of procurement activities with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system;
- Assist projects in developing their procurement plans and consolidate them into a Regional procurement plan on a quarterly basis; Provide expert advice on complex procurement issues pertaining to individual projects and programmes throughout the project cycle, from the early screening to the monitoring during implementation;
- Plan, coordinate and manage the central procurement activities of Amman Operational Hub with Field Offices, including storage and delivery. Operational Hub procurement business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement, control of the workflows in the Procurement Unit;
- Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals for cost-saving and reduction strategies;
- Synthesis of proposals and implementation of contract strategy in the Operational Hub, including tendering processes and evaluation, contractor appraisal, managing the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, risk assessment;
- Implementation of the strategic procurement in the Operational Hub, including sourcing strategies to support sustainable procurement corporate objectives, providing Amman Operational Hub competitive advantage in the areas of materials, supplies, and services, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement introduction and promotion, performance measurement;
- Timely and duly prepared procurement plans for the office and projects and monitoring of their implementation;
- Implementation of proper monitoring and control of procurement processes including organization of RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulation;
- Management of procurement contracts and implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems;
- Preparation of cost-recovery bills in ERP System for procurement services provided by UNOPS to other Agencies.
- Support procurement related partnerships initiatives in full coordination with the Partnerships Unit;
- Locate and identify potential vendors and suppliers both domestically and internationally; Review and assist in the development of specifications, terms of references and statement of works;
- Conduct competitive procurement actions including Request for Proposal, Invitation to Bid, and Request for Quotation generation, bid evaluation process, and cost/price analysis;
- Maintain positive relationship with suppliers, explore sustainable procurement, and conduct supplier site surveys as appropriate;
- Evaluate and measure supplier performance to ensure performance meets expectations, including lead time and contract commitments.
- Ensure customer service by proactively identifying customer needs and service improvement opportunities and responding quickly to those needs;
- Work with freight forwarders to coordinate shipments of goods;
- Organize and deliver staff training and other awareness-raising events on procurement topics.
- Undertake any additional roles related to the management of procurement projects as and when requested;
- Perform other duties as required.
Master’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field. Applicants with Bachelors Degree with additional two years of relevant working experience may also be considered.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive experience is required within the Procurement and Supply Chain field, including at least two years at a managerial level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions).
- A minimum of 2 years of UN working experience is an asset.
Fluency in English is required, Arabic is an asset.
| || |
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
| ||Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground. |
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: International ICA 2
Contract duration: 12 months
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the job. Based on organizational needs at the time of recruitment, applicants accepted into this UNOPS roster pool may be considered for job at the advertised job level or its equivalent. The successful candidate(s) may be offered a contract governed by the United Nations Staff Regulations and Rules or UNOPS individual contractor agreement.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Amman (Jordan)
- Grade: IICA-2, International Individual Contractors Agreement - Mid level
- Supply Chain
- Closing Date: 2018-08-26