Agronomist - Plant Pathologist (18-70)
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 18-70 APP/GRS/SSA
18-70 Agronomist - Plant Pathologist The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking for a dynamic and innovative Agronomist - Plant Pathologist to be based in Lilongwe, Malawi.
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partnersto contribute high quality science, technology,and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over 30 locations across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership fora food secure future. Itsscience iscarriedoutby the 15 researchcenters who aremembersof theCGIAR Consortium in collaboration with hundredsof partner organizations.
The Position: The selected candidate will be engaged primarily in the implementation of project related activities, to strengthen the potato sector development in a holistic manner by interlinking relevant disciplines and actors from public and private sectors. The scientist should be committed to using research for development in a complex and cooperative environment of research and developmentpartners,specificallyfocusingincapacitybuildingofpartnerscapacityinaPPPapproach, inalignmentwithCIP’sstrategicprogramsandtheCGIARProgramonRoots,TubersandBananas(RTB) priorities. She/he must be knowledgeable in value chains understanding of business side of production.
• Support in the implementation of client-oriented models for rapid access to quality seed. • Participate in the promotion and development of adapted seed potato technologies and business models for actors along the seed potato value chain.
• Development, validation and applied research in seedquality maintenance, potato agronomy and Integrated Crop Management (ICM) technologies.
• Work in the development and advocacy of locally adapted protocols and schemes for seed quality control.
• Research on suitable options for demand creation with seed and ware potato. • WorkinastrongcapacitybuildingandtrainingthroughTrainingofTrainers,extensionworkers and partners.
• Ensure the development and implementation of evidence-based scaling strategies • Develop partnerships and propose resourcemobilization strategies such as training programs and other joint activities to strengthen the potato program in Sub-Saharan Africa.
• Providetechnical assistance to the national program,when requested andwithin the limitsof
available resources, in seed systems, variety development, and integrated potato
activities approved for execution with the country and participating in region and global fora
• Work in collaboration with Public-Private sector stakeholders to build effective seed potato
• Develop partnerships and propose resourcemobilization strategies such as training programs
and other joint activities to strengthen the potato program in SSA.
• Supervise research and collaborating with national partner scientists to build an effective
research base on potato.
• Write communication materials targeted at a lay audience.
What are we looking for?
• PhD degree in agronomy, plant pathology or related field, preferably in potato. Candidates
with a PhD in agribusiness are highly welcome to apply if the MSc. was obtained in one of the
before mentioned disciplines.
• At least four years of research for development experience in project design and
implementation in the agricultural sector.
• Experience in managing potato seed multiplication system preferred.
• Proven value chain experience: must demonstrate that knowledge goes beyond just
• Capable of developing and applying innovative concepts seed systems assessment,
implementation and evolutionary studies.
• Demonstrated success in working within inter-disciplinary teams and partnerships for
• Bring in a network of scientific contacts for collaborative research.
• Experience as a team leader in collaborative, multi-disciplinary project management.
• A relevant publication records consistent with years of research experience.
• Willingness to travel extensively under field conditions.
• Ability to work in an international agricultural research center, interacting with its staff and
managing research programs in a variety of institutional and ecological settings.
• A goodability and demonstratedexpertiseto write,plan research,analyzedataand complete
• Proactive, innovative and creative attitudes;
• Good skills in teamwork, leadership, training, and communications.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are required other relevant
languages are an asset.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
• CIP is an international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background.
• CIP is a recent World Food Price Winner, and CIP has been recently awarded the Al-Sumait
Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
• CCCAP aims to boost root and tuber production in the Asia-Pacific region and beyond,
accelerating poverty reduction and improving food security.
• CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender
equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. • CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are we offering?
• Great career opportunity in an international organization.
• Salary is internationally competitive, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
• Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
• Attractive retirement plan.
• Three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
• Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
How to apply?
Visit the following link: https://cipotato.org/jobs/ and submit your cther letter and a full C.V. with
your references. Screening of applications will begin on September 16 , 2018 and will continue until
the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing
countries are particularly encouraged to apply.