The Office of Financial Resources Management (OFRM), Bureau of Management, is a dynamic and results driven office of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). OFRM contributes to the global development agenda of UNDP by being a strong partner with other part of UNDP, promoting clear and strong financial reporting and analysis to ensure accountability and compliance with UNDP's financial and administrative regulatory framework.OFRM is responsible for the global financial operations of UNDP. The organization receives income, from variety of sources of funds, in excess of US$ 5 billion per annum. OFRM's activities involve financial management and funding operations of office located in 166 countries which include financial analysis, reporting, and financial risk management. The Finance Intern shall report to a Senior Manager within the Financial Performance Management and Reporting (FPMR) Team.
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern shall perform the following duties:
- Assist in the preparation of country offices’ performance reports and compliance
- Assist in review of quarterly closure process for financial statements;
- Assist in data validation to ensure data integrity, accuracy and completeness from a financial accounting perspective;
- Assist in providing in-depth analysis of various financial information/indicators/trial balance to assist development of an early warning system for the entity’s financial health;
- Assist in data management and data processing using SharePoint and other available tools;
Performs other duties as instructed by the Manager.
- Demonstrate integrity by adhering to UN values and ethical standards;
- Ability to work well in a team;
- Demonstrate professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and adaptability;
- Operate in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills
- Excellent organizational and research skills
- Excellent Microsoft Excel knowledge and writing macros
- Excellent critical reasoning and problem solving skills
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Development and Operational Effectiveness;
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
Interns are selected on a competitive basis. The following qualifications are required:
- Candidacy for an advanced degree in Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Business Engineering, Statistics or any other related discipline. The intern must be currently enrolled in an advanced university degree.
- Entry level knowledge of data extraction and statistical analysis;
- Excellent writing skills in English;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Strong MS Office package skills (Knowledge of programming language and Microsoft PowerBI and Sharepoint is an advantage)
- Fluency in English;
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Conditions of the Internship:
- Interns are considered gratis personnel. They are not staff members;
- Interns are not financially remunerated by UNDP. The costs associated must be borne by the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his or her own arrangements for travel, accommodation, visa, etc.;
- Internship duration can be extended up to six months.
Candidates who are selected must submit the following documents:
- Official letter from the University confirming enrollment in a graduate-level degree programme;
- Copy of school transcript;
- Letter of endorsement from a faculty member who has worked with the student in the recent past and who is knowledgeable on the student’s performance;
- Complete and sign the UNDP Application Form for Internships (MS Word | PDF). www.undp.org/internships
- Copy of the proof of medical and life/accident insurance valid for the location in which the internship will be carried out (i.e. New York, USA).
| Click here for important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders). |
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.