National Consultant on Technical Support to the Ministry of Social Policy on Gender Equality and Non-Discrimination Policy Implementation
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Ukrainian Constitution, policy and legal frameworks guarantee equality for men and women in Ukraine in all sectors. The country adopted Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), joined the Beijing Declaration and the Platform for Action (BPfA) of the 4th World Conference for Women (1995) and ratified the main international instruments on gender equality and women’s rights, including the Convention on Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and its Optional Protocol.
The new State Social Programme on Equal Rights and Opportunities of Men and Women for 2018-2021 looks at strengthening the institutional mechanism for gender equality and an integrated approach to addressing the institutional barriers faced by the state response to gender inequalities and discrimination. To further support the consolidated efforts of the government, parliament, women’s groups and civil society organisations (CSOs) to meet state commitments on gender equality and women’s rights, including CEDAW, UN Security Council Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security (UNSCR 1325) and SDGs through reforms and peace and security processes, UN Women in partnership with the Office of the Vice-Prime Minister on European and Euro-Atlantic Integration launched the project “Enhancing accountability for gender equality and women’s empowerment in national reforms, peace and security”. The project goal is to support the Government in achieving transformative results for gender equality and women’s empowerment in Ukraine by integrating gender equality and women’s human rights commitments into the national reforms and the peace and security processes, and by putting mechanisms in place for adequate financing, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
As a part of this project, UN Women seeks to hire the National Consultant to provide day-to-day technical support to the Gender Equality Unit of the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine to support the mandate of the Ministry on gender equality non-discrimination policy implementation and monitoring on national and regional levels (as a part of the national women’s machinery).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the UN Women Country Programme Manager/Head of Office and the Programme Specialist, technical guidance of the Programme Analyst on Gender-Responsive Reforms and day-to-day supervision of the Deputy Minister of Social Policy and Head of the Gender Equality Unit, the Consultant will implement a set of tasks, including, but not limited to:
Task 1. Technical support to the Gender Equality Unit of the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine:
- Provide day-to-day analysis and guidance on gender equality and non-discrimination policy implementation and monitoring of progress at the national and regional levels;
- Organize multi-stakeholdermulti-sectoral expert meetings to jointly analyze gaps and needs in the implementation of gender equality and non-discrimination policy and support coordination and monitoring processes;
- Support engagement with women’s groups and civil society organizations and organize joint initiatives to advance gender equality and non-discrimination policy implementation and monitoring;
- Provide a set of recommendations on gender equality and non-discrimination policy implementation and monitoring on national and regional levels.
Task 2. Capacity-building support to the Gender Equality Unit of the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine:
- Build the Unit’s expertise and knowledge of tools and mechanisms for gender equality and non-discrimination policy implementation and monitoring progress at the national and regional levels, including through on-job trainings;
- Participate in coordination and organization of multi-stakeholder learning workshops on best practices and tools for gender equality and non-discrimination policy implementation and monitoring progress at the national and regional levels.
Approximate number of days
Monthly time-sheets and brief progress reports (including supporting documents) about implemented activities submitted to the Ministry of Social Policy and UN Women
by the 5th of next month; not to exceed 22 working days per month (30 August-5 December 2018)
Final report about the progress and achievements, lessons learnt and recommendations on gender equality policy implementation and monitoring on national and regional levels submitted to UN Women
By 10 December 2018
- All reports should be submitted according to the provided format in Ukrainian and English languages (supporting documents, such as meeting minutes, agenda etc., could be provided in Ukrainian).
- The Consultant is expected to work in the Gender Equality Unit of the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine using her/his own computer, but may access the UN Women office for printing of relevant documents or should he/she be required to work on-site at any point during the assignment.
- Contractor’s performance will be evaluated against such criteria as: timeliness, responsibility, initiative, communication, accuracy, and quality of the products delivered. The evaluation will be carried out and cleared by the Programme Specialist after receiving and accepting monthly reports which will also be the basis for payment on a monthly basis to the consultant.
Payments will be disbursed by monthly instalments based on time-sheets certified by the representative of the Ministry of Social Policy and brief monthly progress reports certified by UN Women. Payment for Deliverable 2 will be disbursed upon submission of the final report and certification of the UN Women Programme Specialist that the services have been satisfactorily performed.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced (Masters) degree in Human Rights, Political Science, Gender Studies, Social Sciences or related field.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in gender, development or another relevant field;
- Proven experience of writing technical documents on gender equality, non-discrimination and governance;
- Experience of working in/with government institutions;
- Understanding of the national legislation and policy frameworks and the governance systems;
- Experience with participation in organization of dialogues, consultations, workshops including with the members of government, Parliament, CSOs, etc.;
Languages and other skills:
- Fluent Ukrainian; basic knowledge of English;
- Computer literacy and ability to effectively use office technology equipment, IT tools, ability to use Internet and email
Evaluation of Applicants:
Applications will be evaluated based on the cumulative analysis taking into consideration the combination of their qualifications and financial proposal. A two-stage procedure is utilized in evaluating the proposals, with evaluation of the technical proposal being completed prior to any price proposal being compared. The award of the contract should be made to the individuals whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
Technical criteria 70% of total evaluation – max 70 points:
- The total number of points allocated for the technical qualification component is 70. The technical qualification of the individual is evaluated based on desk review and following technical qualification evaluation criteria:
Technical Evaluation Criteria
Maximum obtainable points
Criterion A – Relevant education
Criterion B – Language skills
Criterion C – Relevant Experience with total for all of the stated criteria:
Total Obtainable Score for technical criteria and interview
Financial/Price Proposal evaluation:
- Only the financial proposal of candidates who have attained a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation will be further considered and evaluated.
- The total number of points allocated for the financial/price component is 30.
- The maximum number of points will be allotted to the lowest price proposal that is opened/ evaluated and compared among those technical qualified candidates who have attained a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation. All other price proposals will receive points in inverse proportion to the lowest price.
Evaluation of submitted financial offers will be done based on the following formula: S = Fmin / F * 30
(S - score received on financial evaluation; Fmin - the lowest financial offer out of all the submitted offers qualified over the technical evaluation round; F - financial offer under the consideration).
Application and submission package:
The candidate’s application should include:
- A brief Letter of Interest containing the statement on candidate’s experience in the field of recruitment. Completed and signed UN Women Personal History (P-11) form, that can be downloaded from: http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment.
Proposal. The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount in UAH with a breakdown of a daily professional rate per number of anticipated working days to include all costs (telephone, etc.).
Interested candidates are requested to apply no later than 23:59 (EET) 21 August 2018 by submitting 2 attachments: 1) technical (P-11 and a Letter of Interest) and 2) financial proposals to the following e-mail address: email@example.com with a subject “UN Women Ukraine – National Consultant on Technical Support to the Ministry of Social Policy on Gender Equality and Non-Discrimination Policy Implementation”.
Applications without financial proposal will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
UN Women applies fair and transparent selection process that would take into account the competencies/skills of the applicants as well as their financial proposals.
Sample of Financial Proposal
The format shown on the following tables is suggested for use as a guide in preparing the Financial Proposal
A. Cost Breakdown per Deliverables*
# of days and Percentage of Total Price (Weight for payment)
(Lump Sum, All Inclusive)
max. # of working days (100%)
*Basis for payment tranches