Planning Specialist, P-3 Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Cox's Bazaar (Bangladesh)
To strengthen the overall planning, coordination and management function of the Chief Field Office (CFO) in Cox’s Bazar responding the Rohingya crisis. The role is also key to support implementation and monitoring of the district workplans including oversight to appropriate and optimum use of resources through strengthening HACT implementation of the Field Office.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
For every child, a champion
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
How can you make a difference?
The Planning, Monitoring, and Reporting (PMR) Specialist reports to the CFO for general supervision and direction in Cox’s Bazar Field Office. The PMR Specialist, P-3, serves as principal support for overall planning, monitoring, and reporting functions and also has delegated authority for oversight over effective Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfer (HACT) implementation. The post will also provide strong leadership in Humanitarian Performance Monitoring (HPM).
Support to Field Office program planning and development
- Support the Field Office on annual work planning, reviews, setting priorities targets and establishing performance measurements.
- Monitor implementation and progress of work plans; collaborate with colleagues to assist and guide to ensure achievement of results according to targets and performance standards. Take timely decisions to achieve results and/or alert the CFO for timely action.
- Provide technical and administrative support to the CFO on strategies, direction and planning of programs and projects to translate analytical data/information (from situation analysis), assessments, and district or national priorities and goals into concrete FO programs and projects that advances UNICEF goals in the country/district on child rights, survival and development.
- Support Section Leads throughout the process of program formulation, planning and execution of the Country Program and Joint-Response Plan ensuring harmonization of approaches and alignment with the UNICEF Strategic Plan, BCO Strategic Notes, corporate guidelines, policies/procedures and regional and national priorities.
- Provide operational guidance to the Section Leads and their teams throughout all stages of the programming process to ensure cooperation, collaboration and harmonization of programs and projects.
- Evaluate overall program progress; identify weaknesses, bottlenecks and potential problems. Collaborate with the Section Leads and/or other partners and stakeholders to resolve issues and/or advise the CFO on resolutions to ensure delivery of results as planned and allocated.
- Monitor and assess programs and operations and provide advice on best and innovative programming and management practices to enhance programming and operations.
Monitoring (HPM), reporting and quality control of programs
- Lead in the implementation of Humanitarian Performance Monitoring (HPM) in the Field Office in collaboration with section leads and programme staff.
- Ensure that the monitoring and evaluation capacities of Field staff and partners - government and civil society- are strengthened enabling them to increasingly engage in and lead monitoring and evaluation processes.
- Responsible for the overall management of reporting functions and quality assurance of
various programme performance mechanisms, including annual reporting, donor reporting, indicators tracking, SitReps, and quality assurance.
- Participate, contribute and support processes related to reporting on ongoing planning and reporting for the Field Office, including input to the Country Office Annual Report, RAM and other key corporate reports, inter-agency reports and donor reports.
- Update the reporting framework and the databases on key programme performance indicators.
- Assist office in developing, implementation & aggregation of programme reporting. Maintain a donor reports database.
- Assist in mid-year and end-year reviews, through quality control of performance based on programme indicators & support coordination process of developing & reviewing RWPs/AWPs/district work plans.
- Promote improvement of application of RBM practices and principles in the office through planning monitoring and reporting, sharing of lessons learned & good practices.
Oversight over Programme Budget Management to ensure efficient, effective and optimum use of Country/Field Programme resources
- Monitor the optimum and appropriate use of financial program resources and verify compliance with organizational rules, regulations and procedures, donor commitments and standards of accountability and integrity.
- Coordinate and/or provide advice on the preparation of mandated program budget and
- Closely work with Field Office Operations, CO Partnership Officer, and CO Budget Officer to ensure tracking and accurate utilization of funds in programme implementation.
- Work collaboratively with the CFO, Reports Specialist, Resource Mobilization team, Deputy Representative and the various sectors to facilitate/contribute to the preparation of CO/FO programme budget proposal. Monitor critical issues to resolve problems and/or recommend to the Chief Field Office appropriate action to ensure appropriate and optimum use of programme resources.
Oversight over HACT to ensure effective HACT implementation
- In the absence of Programme Officer HACT, ensure efficient HACT implementation in alignment with UNDG Framework and UNICEF's Policy and Procedures on HACT.
- Since cash transfers represent a large part of UNICEF's spending and are a key programme implementation modality to achieve results for children, coordinate with the BCO HACT committee to provide oversight on all HACT processes including Planning, Implementation and Reporting on Capacity Risk Assessments (Macro and Micro), Cash Transfer disbursement processes, Assurance Activities and Capacity Development activities.
- Supervise FO HACT Officer and establish clear individual performance objectives, goals and timelines; and provide timely guidance to him/her to enable the staff member to perform their duties responsibly and efficiently. Plan and ensure timely performance planning, management and assessment.
- Work with stakeholders to ensure that all Programme Sections are self-reliant and streamline HACT practices into their programme processes.
Oversight over PRC (Partnership Review Committee) including PCA/SSFA to ensure the submission reflects the strategic programme direction.
- Ensure the PCA/PD/SSFA submission with quality from the IPs/Sections, making sure the programme strategies are rightly reflected in the submission.
- Provide capacity development for IPs/Sections on how to develop PDs with good quality
- Liaise with PMR unit in Dhaka to monitor the PD implementation.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s Degree) in Social Sciences, International Relations, Public Administration, Public Policy, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, or other relevant disciplines
- Work Experience: Professional and technical knowledge/expertise of Planning, Monitoring, and Reporting approaches. Experience in Humanitarian Performance Monitoring (HPM) implementation as well as Results-based Management (RBM) principles and application are desirable. At least five (5) years of progressively responsible professional work experience in programme planning, results-based management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Language Proficiency: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are:
Formulating strategies and concepts (II)
Applying technical expertise ((II)
Learning and researching (II)
Planning and organizing (II)
View our competency framework at: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
* Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
* Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Cox's Bazaar (Bangladesh)
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2018-09-04