Protected Areas Expert - National consultant for development of National Planning Framework for PAs system in Albania
The Goverment of Albania (GoA) has recently approved a new Law on Protected Areas, which over the long-term should result in a significant improvement in the overall management effectiveness of the country’s system of protected areas, covering 460,060 ha of marine and terrestrial habitats.
The current funding baselines for the PA system, and the capacities to administer and improve PA revenue streams, are still well below the levels required to ensure that the protected area system can properly serve its function as an important tool to protect biodiversity. If the Ministry of Tourism and Environment (MoTE) and its sub-agencies are to fulfil their mandate for the management of the protected areas system, it will need the capacity to: (i) secure sufficient, stable and long-term financial resources for protected areas; (ii) allocate these resources in a timely manner and appropriate form to cover the full costs of protected areas; and (iii) ensure that the protected areas are managed effectively and efficiently with respect to conservation and other complementary objectives.
This project seeks to assist the GoA in reducing existing funding gaps for the system of protected areas, improving the management of individual protected areas, improving cost-efficiencies in individual protected areas and building the financial management capacities of protected area staff in the National Agency of Protected Areas (NAPA).
This project addresses two levels of support: (i) building the financial management capacities of the agency responsible for administering the system of protected areas; and (ii) demonstrating the efficacy of different financing strategies in a sub-set of individual protected areas.
The project will seek to strengthen the capacity of MoTE and NAPA to effectively plan, administer and manage the financial resources for the protected area system.
Duties and Responsibilities
Work under this assignment will seek to establish a “national planning framework” for the protected area system which will then serve as an enabling context for the functioning of the NAPA to effectively plan for long-term financial sustainability. The National Planning Framework will comprise:
- An overarching medium-term Strategic Plan for the institutional development of the NAPA;
- A medium-term Financial Plan for the protected area system;
This planning framework will provide the strategic direction and guidance for the future funding, management and development of the protected area system. It will also act as a mechanism for standardizing and coordinating the efforts of MoTE in aligning the performance accountability of the Protected Area Administrations.
The main duty of the Protected Areas Expert is to ensure generation of necessary information for development of an overarching medium-term Strategic Plan for the NAPA, as follows:
Within the expert’s domain of work, support the other experts of the project team (international expert and national Finance Expert), national structures and UNDP experts in the completion of the project outputs linked to development of an overarching medium-term Strategic Plan for the NAPA, including:
- Vision Mission and Core Values
- NAPA 2028 Focus Areas
- Strategic Objectives
IMPLEMENTING THE STRATEGY
- Strategic Performance - Vision, Mission and Core Values, Governance, Strategic Stakeholder Relations, M&E
- Program Performance - Strategy Planning for National Protected Areas System (NPAS), development of Management Plans for PAs, M&E of NPAS, Investments in NPAS, Marketing, Co-Manager Capacity Development, Investment cycle management, Financial Performance, Funding of NPAS, Funds for Capital Investments
- Operational Performance - Administrative Costs, Human Resources
Description of work:
PROVIDING CONSULTATION WITH STAKEHOLDERS
- Define the list of relevant stakeholders (government institutions, local communities, local authorities, civil society stakeholders and institutional structures at the national level, other relevant stakeholders) and create a communication plan for the gathering of the information;
- Performing stakeholder consultation sessions throughout of the assignment, either by in-person interview, phone-interviews or on-line surveys to gather all the inputs needed.
- Support the organization and active participation at the two workshops with relevant stakeholders: (1) to gather relevant information, (2) to ensure stakeholder involvement and future buy-in to the strategic plan.
- Presentation of the Strategic Plan to MoTE and NAPA representatives to have the Strategic Plan fully understood and embraced by the involved parties.
- In cooperation with the International consultant, provide methodological guidance for data collection related to development of the strategic plan with focus given to regulations and institutional arrangements related to protected area management;
- Create a detailed profile and institutional analysis of the NAPA, based on a thorough assessment using the capacity scorecard;
- Evaluate current levels of management effectiveness of NAPA for core operations essential for good governance and management of protected areas;
- Analyse and identify the main technical capacity gaps in protected area management;
- Assess staffing levels and current levels of competence; identify staff recruitment and training needs.
- Function as a ‘strategic advisor’ to the lead international consultant with respect to policies, relationship with countries, beneficiary communities and service providers, project direction and strategic orientation, strategic planning process, monitoring of results, project reporting, communication & outreach.
- Overview and provision of inputs for improvement of the final national agreed governance and institutional mechanisms at the national;
- Provide technical input to protected area planning and management in Albania;
- Analysis and recommendations for the institutional/agency capacity building activities to strengthen the PA finance planning and management capacities and to improve coordination and knowledge sharing between the different protected areas.
- Presentation of the Strategic Plan to MoTE and NAPA to have the Strategic Plan fully understood and embraced by the involved parties.
- Provide UNDP with progress updates and the final report.
The Protected Areas Expert will work together with Finance Expert under the direct supervision of the International consultant for development of National Planning Framework for PAs system in Albania and the UNDP Project Manager.
30% Upon conducting stakeholder consultation and gather all relevant data;
30% Upon submission of an overarching medium-term Strategic Plan for the NAPA;
40% Upon finalization of the assignment with a presentation in a national workshop
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Communication - Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
- Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals in line with agreed strategies, identifies priorities, foresees risks and makes allowances accordingly;
- Organizational Awareness - Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Teamwork - Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and delivers outputs in accordance with agreed time, cost and quality standards.
- Thorough understanding of disability issues, human rights, social inclusion and social services;
- Excellent inter-personal and teamwork skills, networking attitude;
- Capacity to deliver as per deadlines;
- Ability to pick up new terminology and concepts easily;
- Excellent understanding of Eco regional conservation, and the principles of PA management;
- Good understanding of IUCN standards for protected areas, CBD process, etc.;
- Good understanding of the establishment of an effective, representative protected areas network;
- Good technical, organizational, interpersonal and teambuilding skills essential.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in natural resources management, biological sciences, environmental management, sustainable development or related field.
- At least 7 years of experience in conservation/protected area system, with special attention to institutional management;
- Experience in projects related to Institutional Management of Protected Areas in Albania (at least 2 projects);
- Demonstrable experience in training and capacity building of national stakeholders and institutions related to the above;
- Experience in conducting PA management effectiveness assessments;
- Familiarity with management of Protected Areas in EU and relevant EU policies would be an asset;
- Experience with Result Based Management;
- Experience in project management would be an asset;
- Demonstrated leadership ability and technical ability to communicate complex ideas verbally and in writing;
- Prior UNDP/GEF project experience and knowledge of UNDP and GEF procedures and guidelines is an advantage;
- Demonstrable analytical skills;
- Excellent, proven management, communication and team-building skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Albanian and English.
Evaluation of Applicants
- Only those applications which are responsive and compliant will be evaluated;
- Individual consultants will be evaluated based on Combined Scoring method taking into consideration the combination of the applicants’ qualifications and financial proposal;
- Combined weighted scoring: Technical (70%); Financial (30%).
25% or 25 points: 7 years of experience in conservation/protected area system, with special attention to institutional management.
20% or 20 points: Advanced university degree in natural resources management, biological sciences, environmental management, sustainable development or related field.
15% or 15 points: Experience in projects related to Institutional Management of Protected Areas in Albania (at least 2 projects).
10% or 10 points: Demonstrable experience in training and capacity building of national stakeholders and institutions related to the above.
Interested applicants are advised to carefully study all sections of this ToRs and ensure that they meet the general requirements as well as specific qualifications described. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials.
The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position. Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the electronic application.
- Completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) for Service Contracts (SC) and Individual Contracts (IC) – Blank form Download here.
- Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability - please fill in the attached form: http://www.un.org.al/doc/PSU_%20Individual%20Contract_Letter%20to%20UNDP.docx
- Financial Proposal in ALL* - specifying a total lump sum in Albanian Lek (working days, travel, per diems, and any other possible costs) for the tasks specified in this announcement. Please note that the financial proposal is all-inclusive and shall take into account various expenses incurred by the consultant/contractor during the contract period (e.g. fee, health insurance, vaccination and any other relevant expenses related to the performance of service, etc.). http://www.un.org.al/doc/Financial%20Offer%20template.doc
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport.
* Kindly note that Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and Financial Proposal are two separate documents and should both be part of your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
How to Submit the Application:
To submit your application online, please follow the steps below:
- Download and complete the UN Personal History Form (P11) for Service Contracts (SCs) and Individual Contracts (ICs);
- Merge your UN Personal History Form (P11) for Service Contracts (SCs) and Individual Contracts (ICs), Financial Proposal Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and cover letter into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click “Apply Now” button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click “Submit Application;”
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents (underlined above);
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Due to a large number of applications we receive, we are able to inform only the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Tirana (Albania)
- Grade: National Consultant - Locally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2018-09-03