Local Security Associate
Suva (Fiji )
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Security Adviser (SA), the Local Security Associate assists in the implementation of security operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and security for UN personnel in the country or in the region of assignment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the SA in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in the country/region of assignment:
- Liaises and coordinates, as appropriate, with the host government security organizations and/or personnel, including national and local provincial authorities, military, and police officers, as well as non-governmental organizations and other non-State actors in the area of operation;
- Helps to assess the security situation at the duty station and ensures adequate gathering and verification of security information that may be required for a proper analysis of the situation by the SA;
- Communicates information on security to the heads of United Nations agencies and provides host country security advice to UNDSS in the absence of the SA, as required;
- Maintains regular contacts with Security Focal Points of UN agencies;
- May be requested to provide technical assistance at SMT meetings, in the absence of the SA.
- Assists in maintaining the Security Plan, including updating staff lists:
- Helps in the preparation and review of the UN Security Plan;
- Supports actions during the implementation of the Security Plan, as required.
- Assists the SA in monitoring compliance with Operational Security Standards established for the duty station. Also assists with the compilation of data required for UNDSS.
- Assists in reporting security incidents affecting UN staff, offices and assets, and assists in the preparation of security reports, such as the Security Incident Report, the Security Assessments and the Quarterly Incident Report.
- Provides support in organizing and conducting training courses on security awareness and preparedness, and providing security orientation to newly assigned staff members. Conducts security briefings, as required.
Performs other security-related tasks assigned by the SA:
- Provides support in conducting security evaluations and provides advice on security measures for the residences (Minimum Operating Residential Security Standards – Residential Security Measures – RSM’s) of UN staff, as well as on latest trends and threats to staff safety and security;
- Establishes and maintains warden system and keeps update of information related to UN offices and residences;
- Administers a pass and ID system;
- Maintains liaison with commercial companies used for UN security at offices and residences, in order to ensure the effective and efficient use of the guard force.
Provides general administrative assistance to the SA:
- Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents;
- Maintains a database on contact details in relation to host country security authorities;
- Arranges appointments, receives visitors, places and screens telephone calls and answers queries with discretion, and takes minutes and/or notes at meetings.
- Planning and Organizing
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education. University Degree desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years of experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work. Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable.
- Fluency in the English and Fijian.
Other Skills and Requirements:
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation;
- Experience in diplomatic security and protection is considered as an asset;
- Knowledge of host country safety codes;
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel
- Physically fit
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Suva (Fiji )
- Grade: GS-6, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position - Administrative support
- Operations and Administrations
- Security and Safety
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-09-14