Country Director, Mali
Country Program Overview
HKI started its programs in Mali in 1998 with an initial focus on nutrition. Currently, HKI’s program focuses on nutrition and the control of neglected tropical diseases (NTDs). The nutrition program works to prevent malnutrition through a behavior change approach focused on essential nutrition and hygiene actions in addition to strengthening the capacity of health centers to manage acute malnutrition. HKI also supports the Government of Mali for the supplementation of children under age five with Vitamin A.
Through its NTD program, HKI provides technical assistance and financial support to the national NTD control program, including an integrated program to control or eliminate lymphatic filariasis, trachoma, schistosomiasis, onchocerciasis and soil-transmitted helminths through mass drug administration at the community level as well as surveys to determine current prevalence following mass drug administration campaigns. In addition, HKI supports interventions aimed at managing morbidity and disability prevention – specifically surgery for hydrocele and trichiasis (complications of lymphatic filariasis and trachoma).
Current donors include USAID, the END Fund, the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, and GiveWell. HKI-Mali has approximately 40 staff, with 22 based in the Bamako office and the others in Mopti and Kayes regions.
The current insecurity in the northern and central regions of the country creates specific challenges to implementation of some program activities. We are thus seeking a leader who is familiar with operating development programs in a challenging and evolving political and security environment.
Scope of the Position:
The Country Director provides strategic leadership and develops action plans that further the mission of HKI and meet the evolving conditions in Mali. S/he has overall responsibility for ensuring technical and operational excellence in the delivery of all activities to achieve the objectives established in grants and strategic plans, and representing HKI to disseminate findings and secure and expand funding for project activities in Mali. This position is based in Bamako with travel to project sites required.
Overall Management and Leadership
* Provide strategic vision and direction for overall program design, implementation, and proposal development; Work closely with the country team to accomplish the strategic goals.
* Lead and oversee the implementation of HKI-Mali programs and the management of the office.
* Represent HKI in formal and informal meetings with government officials, international donor agencies, and national technical advisory groups pertinent to HKI project activities
* Identify opportunities and generate funding from international and bilateral agencies and donor agencies.
* Develop and nurture in-country donor relationships and identify potential partners to participate in joint proposals.
* Lead and prepare concept papers and proposals and provide other information as needed for submission to donors and others for fundraising and marketing purposes.
* Oversee and coordinate the program portfolio to ensure the highest level of project quality and accountability, while fostering continuity through building local capacity.
* Provide technical input to the government, international donors, and technical advisory groups pertinent to HKI project activities.
* Ensure implementation of strong program monitoring, evaluation, and learning functions.
* Oversee research design, methodology, and dissemination of information needed to monitor and evaluate project activities and/or advance programmatic and policy changes.
* Disseminate findings from HKI projects that are of importance to decision-makers in a position to fund or implement projects in Mali and internationally.
* Keep the national partners and others informed about progress of the projects, plans for the development of new programs/projects/activities and donor involvement in the overall program.
Financial and Administrative
* Provide oversight to finance and administrative services including procurement, property management, human resources management, vehicle and facilities management, and staff safety and security.
* Work with regional office and headquarters to manage the development and implementation of annual country budgets.
* Authorize expenditures for grant or contract allocations and ensure compliance with procedures required by grant or contract agreements.
* Ensure the preparation and accuracy and timely submission of financial and narrative reports that comply with grant or contract agreements and ensure compliance with all aspects of donor funding and HKI policies.
* Hire and manage personnel and lead initiatives to develop staff capacity.
* Minimum seven years of field experience in international public health, nutrition and/or Neglected Tropical Disease programs including demonstrated experience in program development, implementation and evaluation, plus a minimum master’s degree in public health, nutrition, development or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Experience in designing and implementing workshops, seminars, surveys, monitoring systems, and evaluations. Experience in research design, data analysis, and interpretation.
* Technical knowledge in an area related to HKI’s mission and programs.
* Experience working in complex emergencies, particularly working across the emergency to development continuum.
* Demonstrated ability to undertake high-level representation and advocacy.
* Experience working in the Sahel and/or elsewhere in Africa, with Ministries, international and local NGOs, and donors based locally, is a substantial asset.
* Demonstrated experience and skills in leadership, staff management, program development and management, strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation and public speaking.
* Demonstrated ability to develop and create budgets and monitor financial status.
* Demonstrated capacity to mobilize program funding including donor cultivation and grants writing.
* Knowledge and experience managing compliance to diverse donors (USAID, DFID, GAC, EU, etc.,);
* Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to effectively lead a team, communicate a vision, make timely and transparent decisions, and manage conflict.
* Very good oral and written English and French language skills, including the ability to quickly synthesize complex technical and programmatic issues into concise communications.
* Well established and practiced organizational and planning skills;
* Computer literate in use of word-processing, spreadsheet and statistical software; experience in data analysis and interpretation is highly desirable
* Experience with staff security and safety issues..
* An ability to maintain balance when under stress.
* Ability and willingness to travel at least within and periodically internationally.
* Personal commitment to HKI’s mission and goals and the values embodied by HKI co-founder, Helen Keller: compassion, grit, and optimism.
The initial contract is for two years with possibility of renewal.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com noting the position title in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Organization: HKI - Helen Keller International
- Location: Mali (China)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2018-11-01