Mine action Operations Manager
Erbil (Iraq) | syrian arab republic
DanChurchAid (DCA) invites applications for an experienced Operations Manager (OM) to support in the management of the start-up of DCA clearance operations both in North East Syria and in Iraq. This is a non-family position, based initially in Erbil, Iraq, with frequent travel, for prolonged periods of time, to programme locations. Once both programmes have been set up, the OM position may be divided into two roles, with one OM per country.
As the Operations Manager, you will initially be responsible for the planning and preparation for the start of clearance operations both in North East Syria and in Iraq. This will include updating SOPs, recruiting and training staff, overseeing the procurement and delivery of equipment, and obtaining all necessary accreditations, taskings and permissions. Once operations have started, you will be responsible for site safety, QA/QC, and ensuring that donor targets are met. Clearance operations will take place in potentially hostile and arduous environments, requiring a positive and self-motivated attitude. Conditions such as these require a level head, attention to detail, a willingness to develop and implement Humanitarian Mine Action (HMA) projects/activities that reflect community needs in innovative ways.
You will report directly to the DCA Country Director (CD) and will be an active member of the senior management team. You will provide operational input to proposals and reports, and ensure all technical reporting is conducted in a timely manner and to a high standard. Therefore, solid operational planning and reporting skills are required.
Main technical tasks and responsibilities include:
- Set up clearance operations in both countries;
- Operate in accordance with the country specific SOP & be prepared to develop appropriate SOP (under overall approval of DCA HQ), if required;
- Provide technical oversight of relevant field operations of the components within the programme for which you are responsible, including training, safety and security, daily operational planning and implementation;
- Operate as a part of the senior management team;
- Manage the direction and discipline of all operational staff including locally employed operational and administrative personnel under your line management;
- Stay informed and current on new techniques, manuals and devices relating to Humanitarian Mine Action;
- Implement quality management systems that support efficient and effective operations;
- Implement and report on Operations in a timely fashion;
- Develop Operational Plans for project proposals.
You must demonstrate the following competencies:
Logical thinking and sound judgement
Strong coordination, planning and management focus
Strong leadership and team building
Willingness to learn new skills
Flexibility and cultural sensitivity
Computer literacy essential including proficiency in excel, word, power point, mapping tools etc.
Fluency in English is a must and a working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage
You must have the following qualifications:
EOD level 3+ qualification is required (NATO standard or IMAS equivalent) with certificates from organisations that can demonstrate compliance with those standards;
Minimum 5 years International experience in Mine Action or equivalent recent experience (within the last two years) in military or police service dealing with mine action operations with civilian communities. Experience working in a Mine Action NGO is an advantage;
Knowledge and experience of EOD/ERW clearance methodologies and implementation is essential. The successful applicant will need to show currency of competency in this area;
Knowledge of and experience in IMAS, IMSMA, Non-Technical Survey, Community Liaison and Risk Education is an advantage;
Experience of successfully managing and mentoring national staff.
12-month contract starting asap, with possibility for renewal;
A competitive salary package, R&R, 30 days of annual leave;
Good colleagues in a rewarding and empowering work place
Medical and accident insurances as per industry standards;
An interesting and challenging experience addressing humanitarian needs.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic affiliation are encouraged to apply for the vacancy. Only online applications will be considered. When applying, you are kindly requested to attach a copy of relevant certificates, together with your CV and motivation letter that clearly demonstrate experience of competencies as required. Please note all qualifications will be verified. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for applications will be September 17, 2018. Interviews will be held on a rolling basis. DCA reserves the right to select a candidate prior to the deadline.
To apply online, please go to "Join us" at www.danchurchaid.org
- Organization: DCA - DanChurchAid
- Location: Erbil (Iraq) | syrian arab republic
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Mine Action and Weapon Contamination
- Project and Programme Management
- Operations and Administrations
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-09-17