Head of Programme - Eritrea
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation
helping people forced to flee.
We protect displaced people and support them as they build a new future. We started our relief efforts after World War Two. Today, we work in both new and protracted crises across 31 countries. We specialise in six areas: food security, education, shelter, legal assistance, camp management, and water, sanitation and hygiene.
We stand up for people forced to flee. NRC is a determined advocate for displaced people. We promote and defend displaced people's rights and dignity in local communities, with national governments and in the international arena. NRC’s Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva is a global leader in monitoring, reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
We respond quickly to emergencies.Our expert deployment capacity, NORCAP, boasts around 1,000 experts from all over the world who can be deployed within 72 hours. Our experts help improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises.
Around 6,000 men and women work for the Norwegian Refugee Council.Most of us are hired locally to work in the field, and a small number are based at our head office in Oslo. Many of our colleagues were once themselves fleeing their homes.
The Norwegian Refugee Council is looking for a Head of Programme to build and grow the Eritrea Country Programme. This position comes at an interesting time and will appeal to candidates who are looking for a non-traditional Head of Programme role which combines evolving the country strategy, growing the existing programme and exploring new opportunities for expansion. This is currently the most senior position within the Eritrea country structure, and therefore requires the position to have oversight of the overall country programme operations.
The position will be based in Nairobi, with frequent extended periods of travel to Eritrea.
Job description• Evolve the Country strategy to ensure oversight of the timely delivery of the existing education programme, whilst exploring new opportunities for expansion of the programme in Education and other core competencies
• Establish partnership working modalities with the Ministry of Education and any other relevant government body
• Represent NRC within Eritrea, building strong relations with authorities, donors and other stakeholders.
• Report on programme delivery, expenditure and the evolving Eritrean context
• Responsible for resource mobilization, allocation and spending
• Ensuring country structures and systems are in place including security and safety
• Coordination of all Eritrea activities and responses
• Responsible for programme/Core Competence strategy development, coordination, technical quality and synergies
• Identification and assessment
• Evaluation, review and quality control of ongoing and completed programmes
Qualifications• Minimum first level university degree/bachelors degree in relevant and related discipline
• Minimum 5 years experience of working as a senior Programme Manager in a humanitarian/ recovery context
• Experience of working in complex and remote contexts
• Expertise in at least one of NRC’s Core Competencies.
• Experience of working with partners especially governments is essential
• Understanding of the delivery of impact through facilitation and empowerment is essential.
• Experience with start-up or new programme operations is desirable
• Sympathetic knowledge of the context in Eritrea is desirable
• Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Personal qualities• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to network and build strong relationships with stakeholders, especially donors and government.
• Ability to build and grow a country programme
• Strategic and adaptive thinking
• Ability to nurture relationships for impact and change
We offer• Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya with frequent extended periods of travel to Eritrea
• Salary & Benefits: NRC offers a competitive compensation package
• NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners/employees and check that they have not been involved in illegal activity. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
*Females are highly encouraged to apply*
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Nairobi (Kenya)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-09-02