Juba (South Sudan)
Background Information - Job-specific
The role will work as part of the SSOC management team to ensure delivery of results in a controlled and consistent management environment. The Procurement Manager reports to the Head of Support Services, and works in close collaboration with the Project Managers and PSO’s respectively.
The Procurement Manager supervises the SSOC Procurement Unit, and is responsible for effective delivery of procurement services in order to obtain the best value for money. He/she analyzes and interprets the financial rules and regulations and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to procurement. The Procurement Manager promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results oriented approach in the Unit.
Summary of key results:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Management of procurement processes
- Implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Under the direct supervision of the UNOPS SSOC Head of Support Services, the incumbent is expected to perform the following duties and responsibilities:
Ensures elaboration and implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system.
- SSOC procurement business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement, control of the workflows in the Procurement Unit.
- Synthesis of proposals and implementation of contract strategy in the SSOC, including tendering processes and evaluation, contractor appraisal, managing the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, risk assessment.
- Conceptualization, elaboration and Implementation of the strategic procurement, including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement introduction and promotion, legal considerations and performance measurement.
- Develop knowledge and monitor the commodity market for goods and services in the area of responsibility, and be able to identify and select potential vendors.
Analyze specific procurement requirements and develop related procurement strategies.
Manages and guides procurement processes for the SSOC focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Plan, develop and manage all procurement and contractual aspects related to worldwide procurement of diverse products, services and infrastructure works.
- Advice requisitioning units and recipient entities on the full range of procurement and contractual issues, providing support and guidance at all stage of the procurement cycle.
- Identify new technologies, products, and services; evaluate and recommend potential supply sources; and incorporate research results into the procurement program.
- Lead the work of procurement and / or contract staff and ensure the timely preparation of procurement plans for the OC and implementation of proper monitoring and control of procurement processes including organizational RFQs, ITBs, or RFPs, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations.
- Review and certify submissions to LC / HQ CPC (Contracts and Property Committee).
- Implement the internal control systems which ensures the Purchase Orders are duly prepared and dispatched and ensure timely corrective actions on PO’s with budget check errors and other problems.
- Management of the implementation of the procurement processes monitoring system and mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in procurement.
- Oversee adherence to contractual agreements, recommends amendments and extensions of contracts, and advise concerned parties on contractual rights and obligations.
- Development and management of the rosters of suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation, quality and performance measurement mechanisms.
- Establishment and implementation of harmonized procurement services and elaboration of proposals on common services expansion and management of joint procurement for UN Agencies in line with UN reform.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Working with project team members on procurement needs, providing technical support and advice on specifications, cost implications, and logistics for safe delivery both internationally and nationally.
- Organization of training for National Staff
- Organization of training for Government staff and stakeholders (upon request) on procurement as required
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in procurement
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the SSOC in procurement management and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies. Strategic approach to procurement, accurate, thoroughly researched and documented information, timely and appropriate delivery of services, introduction of e-procurement ensure client satisfaction and overall timely delivery of UNOPS programmes and projects.
- Advanced Degree (Master’s) or equivalent in Business Administration, procurement,commerce, law, economics or related field;
- A First level university degree in combination with additional 2 years experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced(Masters) university degree.
- A minimum of at least 5 years relevant experience, specifically in the field of procurement;
- Experience in international organization(s) is preferred;
- Knowledge of UNOPS / UN regulations, rules, policies, procedures and practices would be desired;
- Knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning systems (i.e. oneUNOPS) will be well regarded;
- Work experience in developing/post conflict countries is an advantage;
- Skill in procurement of goods, procurement management, procurement services and leadership are essential.
- Fluency in written and oral English required
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: IICA-2
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information -South Sudan
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Juba (South Sudan)
- Grade: IICA-2, International Individual Contractors Agreement - Mid level
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-09-20