Business Analysis Specialist (Anti-Fraud and Oversight) (TA, 364 days) P-3, NYHQ, #107642
New York City (United States of America)
The Oversight and Business Analysis Specialist supports the coordination of relationships between DFAM and oversight bodies to UNICEF, such as the UN Board of Auditors and the Office of Internal Audit, (both of whom audit UNICEF offices’ management and compliance with established regulations, rules, policies and procedures), Joint Inspection Unit reviews and donors who mandate visits to understand UNICEF internal controls framework. UNICEF is subject to a programme of donor verification visits by the European Commission under the terms of the Financial & Administrative Framework Agreement (FAFA), which requires close coordination and communication between the EC, UNICEF HQ divisions and regional and country offices. UNICEF is also subject to assessment visits from the Department for International Development (UK). We also receive ad hoc requests from donors to understand how UNICEF operates. Working with PPD, this post will support UNICEF’s management of these donor visits and provide support with follow-up and coordination of UNCEF management responses. The post will analyze the recommendations made to UNICEF in all of these oversight reports, identifying trends in capacity development gaps in operations and producing management reports.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, A future..
UNICEF's financial and administrative management operating environment is becoming increasingly dynamic and complex as the organization moves towards a governance, risk and compliance framework. Additionally, as the proportion of Other Resources contributions continues to grow, UNICEF's funding sources are becoming more complex to record, manage, monitor and report on. With this comes more scrutiny from our donors and oversight bodies on how resources are managed. Furthermore, UNICEF has and continues to invest in technology platforms to improve our internal controls and their monitoring. These developments impact the financial and operating risks faced by UNICEF.
The role of DFAM is to safeguard the financial resources entrusted to UNICEF for the survival, development and protection of the world's children by maintaining and improving financial and administrative systems and procedures to ensure efficient, cost-effective and transparent utilization of these resources. DFAM is based in New York and operates with approximately 105 staff. The Division is divided into five Sections that carry out accounting and financial reporting, facilities management and administration, budgeting, cash and treasury management, and divisional coordination, liaison and management activities. This post resides within the Director's Office (Office of the Comptroller), reporting to the Senior Advisor.
How can you make a difference?
- Provide support for key activities and initiatives related to the development, maintenance and improvement of the organization's internal controls and fraud risk strategy. This includes working with the Business Analysis Manager (Internal Controls) on coordination with other Divisions to assist in monitoring mechanisms for controls in their respective areas.
- Provide support to the promotion and supporting of the implementation of the anti-fraud strategy throughout the organization and provide support for primary data and analysis of recoveries of fraud losses to be used as input in Senior Management and Executive Board reports, working with other key stakeholders in DFAM and other Divisions.
- Support the review of control weaknesses and root cases and patterns identified and support the Business Analysis Manager (Internal controls) in proposing deficiency remediation.
- Support the governance mechanism over systems controls, including VISION / MyCase access, roles design, segregation of duties rules.
- Support research and analysis leading to the development of position papers and/or proposals to assist DFAM senior management to proactively address any potential issues identified in control weaknesses, anti-fraud activities and other recommendations from the oversight bodies.
- Any other duties and management of ad hoc internal controls, performance, policy and accountability projects as may be requested by the direct supervisor.
- During peak periods for external audits, provide support to the Audit Coordinator, Divisions and Country Offices on the audit process performed by the UN Board of Auditors.
- During the writing of Senior Management Briefs and Management response to the Office of Internal Audit and Investigations (OIAI) Annual report, provide support in following up with relevant Divisions, ROs or COs for action or for information on implementation of recommendations from oversight bodies.
- Support the management of JIU visits for the organization, which includes:
- Coordinate interviews of relevant offices for JIU visits.
- Coordinate collection of responses to JIU recommendations.
- Monitor implementation of recommendations and prepare corresponding statistics for management reporting.
- Reviewing responses and providing them for clearance by Senior Management.
- Support the conduct analyses of internal and external audit and donor oversight reports to identify trends and systemic financial and administrative management issues being raised, leading to preparation of value adding management briefs on the key issues.
- Support the development of Anti-Fraud training materials for implementing partners with specific focus on programmatic implementation modalities.
- Participate in other strategic initiatives within the Office of the Comptroller as assigned by the Senior Adviser.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
University degree with a Major in criminology, accounting, finance, or business administration and an advanced university degree (Masters or higher) in the social sciences in an area relevant to UNICEFâ€™s programmatic sectoral/thematic work or a Masters degree in a relevant field in business e.g, finance, accounting, auditing, business administration.
A minimum of 5 years progressively responsible experience in finance, accounting, operations or programmatic development and implementation in a sectorial/thematic area relevant to UNICEF programmes is required. Strong knowledge of project management, task tracking and coordination of meetings and activities is required.
Knowledge of computer systems and information management tools, Office and financial and accounting applications is desirable.
Experience working both in a programme country and at HQ is required.
Experience in programme delivery modalities and working with implementing partners either at UNICEF or another UN Agency is required.
Understanding of implementation of JIU recommendations and experience in anti-fraud, criminology and or investigation is an asset.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (e.g. French or Spanish) is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are Analyzing; Applying Technical Expertise; Planning and organizing and Following Instructions and Procedures.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: New York City (United States of America)
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Criminology, Police Affairs and Anti-Corruption
- Operations and Administrations
- Public, Private Partnership
- Internal audit, Investigation and Inspection
- Closing Date: 2018-08-30