Communications and Information Assistant
The United Nations Resident Coordinator’s Office (RCO) is responsible for coordinating the activities of the United Nations in Uganda under the Delivering as One (DaO) approach. The approach aims at making development and humanitarian response efforts by the UN in Uganda comprised of 23 UN funds, programmes and specialized agencies, better coordinated and more effective under five pillars; One Leader, One Programme, One Budget Framework, Operating as One (Shared Common Services) and Communicating as One. The RCO supports the UN Resident Coordinator (RC), the leader of the UN in the country along with the UN Country Team (UNCT) comprised of the heads of UN agencies, in advancing DaO.
The Uganda United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) Advocacy and Communication Strategy implemented by the United Nations Communications Group (UNCG) aims at ensuring UN ‘Communicating as One’ is coordinated by the RCO. The strategy supports the implementation of the five-year UNDAF and focuses on supporting advocacy and communications of joint UN programming and initiatives implemented by several UN agencies with a purpose of popularizing and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Uganda.
Upstream Advocacy to the Government of Uganda (GoU) and development partners on development issues is an area in which the UN in Uganda has a comparative advantage given the depth and breadth of technical expertise the UN has and its impartial position and respect accorded by the GoU and development partners. This has resulted in the UN playing a convening role in several important GoU and development partner forums. The UNCT therefore relies on the UNCG for a wide range of advocacy and communications products and services including preparation of key messages, fact sheets, press releases, joint statements, policy briefs, newspaper supplements, talking points on important issues of joint UN importance, organisation of public events; planning and executing media and social media campaigns targeting a variety of audiences as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Communications Officer at RCO, the Communications and Information Assistant will undertake the following tasks to achieve the following key results:
- Regularly update the UN Uganda web site, Facebook page and Twitter accounts, RCO intranet, and RCO web-based knowledge management system with relevant content and quality photographs in a timely manner;
- Develop coordinated, innovative social media strategies and campaigns involving multiple UN agencies in partnership with UNCG;
- Conduct advocacy and communications needs assessments for the RCO, UN joint programming and initiatives, and make proposals to integrate advocacy and communications.
- Support the development/production of communications and advocacy instruments and materials for awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials and press releases in coordination with the supervisor.
- Support RCO publication activities, such as drafting articles, content management, norms for publishing, design, maintenance of regular contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure production.
- Promote and disseminate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications.
Coordination, Programmes and SDGs Support
- Support coordination of UN in Uganda’s work to support and link with global advocacy efforts, particularly linked to the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Support the organization of public information campaigns on UN Uganda joint activities and popularizing the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs Agenda in Uganda.
- Support RCO liaison with the UNCG in Uganda to ensure effective coordination of the implementation of the UNDAF Advocacy and Communication Strategy
- Liaise with the Programme Reference Group (PRG), Joint UN M&E Team, UNDAF Outcome Result Groups (ORGs) and the UN Global Pulse Kampala teams to collate and document evidence to support advocacy activities.
- Assist in monitoring and prepare monitoring reports on implementation of the UNDAF Advocacy and Communications Strategy.
Knowledge and Information Management
- Identify and synthesise best practices and lessons learned directly linked to UNDAF Outcome Results Groups’ activities.
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice including UN global communications repositories and the UN in Uganda Knowledge Management System.
Substantive strengthening of the advocacy and communications efforts of the UN, linked to the UNDAF Outcome Result Groups, localization of the Post 2030 Agenda and the SDGs in Uganda.
Substantive strengthening of coherent ‘Communicating as One’ by all UN agencies, funds and programmes.
Increased visibility of the UN Delivering as One in Uganda.
Increased on-line presence of the UN in Uganda.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
Shares knowledge and experience
Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside UNDP
Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
Demonstrates excellent written and oral communication skills
Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported
Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems
Uses Information Technology effectively as a tool and resource
Leadership and Self-Management
Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary education. University Degree in Mass Communication, Public Relations or related field is desirable but it is not a requirement.
At least 3 years’ experience in advocacy or campaigning work particularly working with websites, social media particularly Facebook, Twitter and Hootsuite, is desirable.
Demonstrated ability to take high quality photographs for social media, websites and publications.
Experience of working with the United Nations is required.
Ability in working in a multicultural environment.
Fluency in written and spoken English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Kampala (Uganda)
- Grade: GS-5, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position - Administrative support
- Communication and Public Information
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-09-06