Project Field Assistant
The frequent occurrence of drought, an overall trend of aridification and deficient of water in Uzbekistan’s climate vulnerable regions like Karakalpakstan, evoke a serious strain on water resources. This is causing a land degradation and decrease of its productivity, which in turn, negatively affects to the ability of rural families to withstand the current and future impacts of climate change. Despite considerable infrastructure investments by the government and donors in the agricultural sector and progressive reforms, farmers and pastoralists that reside in arid and marginal lands do not benefit directly from these improvements. Urgent attention and tailored climate adaptation support is needed to propel the positive reform processes in the sector along the adaptation trajectory and at the same time reach out to the most marginal for urgent adaptation solutions.
The objective of the ongoing large-scaled UNDP and Government of Uzbekistan project “Developing climate resilience of farming communities in the drought prone parts of Uzbekistan”, funded by the Adaptation Fund, is aimed at developing climate resilience capacity of farming and pastoral communities in the drought prone parts of Uzbekistan, specifically in most vulnerable districts of Karakalpakstan. The project works on assisting the central, regional and local governments and vulnerable farmers and pastoralists to withstand the current and future impacts of climate change. The project has four thematic components as following: (1) Development of institutional and technical capacity for drought management and early warning; (2) Establishment of climate resilient farming practices on subsistence dekhkan farms of Karakalpakstan; (3) Deployment of landscape level adaptation measures for soil conservation and moisture retention for improving the climate resilience; and (4) Generation and make available for public the knowledge on climate resilient agricultural and pastoral production systems in arid lands.
With the purpose of fostering envisioned activities within the project Components 2 and 3, it is planned to recruit a Project Field Assistant to provide necessary programme and operational support to the project activities in Karakalpakstan.
Under the overall guidance of the Project Manager in Nukus office/UN Joint Programme Manager, in close collaboration with the relevant project team and UNDP Operation Units, the incumbent will perform the following duties and responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide operational support to effectively implement project activities with the focus on agro conservation innovate technologies application and establishment of the cooperative management systems for landscape rehabilitation and management to enhance community ownership and increase climate resilience of project stakeholders;
- Contribute to the relevant M&E activities through collecting the required data and evidence required for the mandatory thematic and financial progress reporting (quarterly, annual, etc.);
- Provide the relevant inputs (operational, logistics and relevant thematic) to the projects’ advocacy, outreach and awareness raising activities to facilitate the process of increasing visibility of the project activities and results
- Assist the project team (project Components 2 and 3) in organization of procurement processes, including preparation of the bid documents e.g. Requests for Quotations, Invitations for Bids or Requests for Proposals, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions, selection of potential contractor; awarding the contract/PO, monitor contractual relations and performance of signed contract;
- Assist the project team (Components 2 and 3) in hiring the national and international experts in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures, including providing relevant inputs to TOR, financial offers and Note to File drafting and finalization; and collection of other required papers;
- Based on the approved Annual Work plan and Budget, contribute to development and implementation of the project procurement plan for the project Components 2 and 3, including identification of procurement priorities, with consideration the seasonal nature of adaptation activities;
- Contribute to the daily activities of the solicitation processes, composition of the Evaluation Committees and contract awarding; submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP), and Advisory Committee on Procurement;
- Maintain, update and transmit the required inventory records of non-expendable equipment and goods for the project assets in Nukus office and keep the project filing, in accordance with SOP adopted by UNDP Uzbekistan.
Administrative and Logistics (25%)
- Provide logistical and administrative service in implementation of project activities, including organization of roundtables, workshops, trainings, working meetings and other project events at the sub-national level;
- Assist the project staff, national and international experts and consultants in all relevant respects of their fees, travel claims.
- Contribute to preparation of the detailed cost estimates; and participate in budget planning as required to assist with financial operations of the project at the sub-national level;
- Maintain, monitor and report on the project team in Nukus attendance and leave records, check the accuracy and proper completion of monthly attendance reports.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Maintains information and databases;
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Conducts basic research and analysis;
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Generates fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures;
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change;
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solution.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Ensures data gathering and implementation of management systems;
- Uses information/databases/other management systems;
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system component.
- Maintains effective client relationships;
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathering and disseminating information;
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems;
- Prepares timely inputs to reports;
- Maintains databases
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Is familiar with UNDP project management
- Demonstrates/safeguards ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Ensures self-development, and initiative-taking;
- Acts as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitates and encourages open communication in the team, communicates effectively;
- Creates synergies through self-control;
- Manages conflict;
- Learns and shares knowledge and encourages the learning of others. Promotes learning and ensures that knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Ensures informed and transparent decision-making.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Bachelor degree in economics, business administration and socio-economic development.
Experience: Proven track of at least 2 years of work experience in the related area (procurement, administration); Working experience with UN and/or other international development organizations is an advantage.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and Karakalpak, and good knowledge of Uzbek and Russian.
Others: Strong analytical and organizational skills, ability to work in a team.
Knowledge and experience with development and environment situation in Karakalpakstan.
Initiative, analytical skills, good ability in partnering and networking.
Excellent interpersonal and cross cultural communication skills.
Ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Nukus (Uzbekistan)
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-09-06