Shelter/WASH Technical Assistant - (Afghan Nationals) Location: Herat - Afghanistan
Purpose of the Job:
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The purpose of the Shelter/WASH technical assistant position is to liaise and work closely with Shelter/WASH department in implementing the Shelter/WASH projects. The Technical assistant vary from the assistant position by providing a range of support within their area of expertise e.g. ICLA case workers, technical advice and monitoring for implementing partners or constructions companies.
Note: For more details about the position, kindly refer to the job description attached at the bottom
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist a range of support with the implementation of the CC portfolio according to plan of action
- Implements independently procedures and activities within own function or core competency as delegated
- Responsible for organizing and delivery of tasks in line with priorities and standards
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the specialist area of work in which technical assistance and support is being provided, in order to be most effective in supporting the team
- Use initiative in day to day problem solving in line with agreed procedures, priorities and standards for the area of work
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement in your area of expertise.
- Have full understanding of all programs’ goals, objectives, implementation plan and expected result / output.
- Participate in NRC staff and seminars and training, when scheduled
- Operate field equipment.
- Work closely with all shelter and WASH projects stakeholders.
- Keeping on track recording of training data and program documents.
- Coordinate closely his or her activities with Shelter and WASH officer
- Assist her/his direct supervisor/PM on planning, organizing, facilitating and monitoring of projects.
- Be willing to travel throughout the districts and other provinces, this is primarily a field position and will require physical activity in a range of demanding natural environments and conditions.
- Any others tasks assigned by supervisors/Shelter and WASH officer
- Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering
- 2 to 3 years’ experience from working as a Technical Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Demonstrated experience in conducting rapid emergency assessments in projects.
- Experience in working in insecure/conflict environments.
- Manage time effectively, prioritizing tasks and able to work to deadlines.
- Good cultural, social, political and security knowledge of the area.
- Proven communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills with strong experience.
- Working knowledge of English language
- Computer skills.
- Work confidently within a group.
- Education title: Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale
- Top up Credit card on monthly basis
- Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labor Law
- The duration of the contract is till end of 2018 and is extendable.
- The number of positions are two, reserved for male and female.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Herat (Afghanistan)
- Grade: Administrative Services and Support - Generally no need for Higher Education - Administrative support
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Human Settlements (Shelter, Housing, Land, Property)
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-09-11