OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMMEThe objective of the WHO Nepal Country Office is to implement the Country Cooperation Strategy by supporting the Nepal Government in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of national health policies, strategies and plans and developing and managing WHO's technical cooperation programmes at the country level. WHO provides guidance and technical support in organizing the humanitarian health response and in revitalizing the capacity of the health sector to rebuild and recover from emergencies in appropriate and sustainable ways. The Country Office develops collaboration with the Government of Nepal and relevant stakeholders in support of their efforts of achieving national health goals; of ensuring the attainment of universal health coverage and of contributing to global and regional public health action by providing need-based technical assistance in national level policy formulation, setting norms and standards, improving knowledge dissemination and management, monitoring country health situation and building sustainable institutional capacity, to play a greater leadership role in different national level policy and technical forums. Within this framework, the immediate Unit, Administration's objective is to facilitate programme delivery by providing timely managerial and administrative services to programme delivery collaborators, staff and consultants in all aspects of administrative and financial operations including budget and finance, human resources, fellowships, procurement, travel, ticketing and transportation, logistics, building management, safety and security of staff, information technology including GSM operations, telecommunications and protocols. Further, to provide accurate guidance, information and practices which lead to full compliance and accountability with the Organization's established rules and regulations.The specific position will provide information and communications technology (ICT) services to the WHO Country Office in Nepal. The immediate Strategic Objective is to develop and sustain WHO as a flexible, learning Organization, enabling it to carry out its mandate more efficiently and effectively.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIESUnder the guidance of the WHO Representative to Nepal, the direct supervision of the Administrative Officer, and with the guidance of the Regional ICT management team, the incumbent performs the following duties\:
1. Ensure implementation of WHO ICT strategies and introduction/ implementation of new technologies focusing on achievement of the following results\:
- Ensure compliance with corporate information management, information security policies, technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the country office technology environment.
- Participate in the development and implementation of ICT annual plan and Standard Operating Procedures for ICT services.
- Participate in technical evaluation of Programme proposals (ICT Component) and ICT related meetings.
- Ensure effective functioning, installation, operation and maintenance of all WHO hardware equipment, including the acquisition of hardware supplies and vendor management.
- Perform specific technical functions, including changing of hardware electronic components (disks, memories, network wiring, power sources, etc.) and other routine repairs that are not covered by any warranty.
- Install commercial and WHO developed software and related upgrades, in-line with global policies.
- Monitor the network connectivity, system resource utilization on a daily basis to ensure a stable and secure network environment.
- Trouble-shoot and monitor network problems and ensure that WHO global managed desktop environment (Synergy) and network resources are protected from malware.
- Respond to user needs and questions regarding network access.
- Escalate any unsolved issue to the regional service desk and infrastructure team.
- Implement regional backup and restore procedures for users local drives. Maintain backup logs and off-site backup storage.
- Maintain country office business continuity and disaster recovery processes and procedures including backup and restore of server(s) and local storage facilities.
- Ensure the maintenance of the country office website and intranet. Act as the webmaster of the WHO Nepal website.
- Trouble-shoot and monitor websites and applications.
- Post messages on social media (Facebook, Twitter) upon request.
- Provide web and social media analytics
- Advise and assist on procurement of new ICT equipment for the CO and projects, ensuring compliance with global and regional technical specifications and information on best options in both local and international markets, review of quotations and bids.
- Maintain the ICT inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the Administration team.
- Provide ICT support during key WHO events.
- Identify and promote different WHO systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge management and sharing, and information provisioning.
- Participate in the organization of training for the country office staff on ICT issues.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
EducationEssential\: Completion of secondary school education, supplemented by relevant courses in Information and communication technology, such as "Certification from Microsoft System Engineer (MCSE)".
- Professional certificate course on Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Foundation 2011 and Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA\: Windows Server 2012)
- Proficiency with Network devices such as Cisco Routers, Switches and other VOIP devices
- University Degree in ICT, Communication or any other related subject.
ExperienceEssential\: At last 8 years of relevant experience including network, server administration, management of hardware and software platforms, telecommunication facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications.
- Corporate social media experience.
- Relevant working experiences with WHO and UN agencies an asset.
- Formal training and experience in network management, including working knowledge of routers and, Managed switches technology, structured cabling equipment and related circuitry. Good understanding of Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and overall Open System Interconnection (OSI)model for networking framework.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in configuration, implementation and maintenance of desktop computers, patch management, laptops, desk phones and other peripheral ICT devices.
- Very good understanding of Microsoft desktop and server Operating systems. Good working knowledge of system administration in a Microsoft Windows environment, installation and management of Microsoft SharePoint servers.
- Good knowledge of Collaboration tools and applications along with integration of Video, Voice and Data.
- Experience in installation, configuration and troubleshooting for different Mobile based Operating Systems such as IOS and Android is highly desirable.
- Sound knowledge of ICT management good practices and industry trends particularly those pertaining to desktop services and information security Management.
- Knowledge of online communication best practices.
- Ability to meet deadlines, cope with constant work pressure and adapt to the changes in the technology.
- Technical expertise and overall attitude of work are also required competencies
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language SkillsEssential\: Expert knowledge of English. Expert knowledge of Nepali.
The above language requirements are interchangeable.
REMUNERATIONWHO offers staff in the General Services category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary starting at NPR 1,326,288 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link\: http\://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit\: http\://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.
- Organization: WHO - World Health Organization
- Location: Kathmandu (Nepal)
- Grade: GS-6, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position - Administrative support
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-09-17