Lead Senior Social Protection Consultant , 8 months,Nationals Only
The main objective of the Lead Senior Social Protection consultant (Social Protection Strategy Formulation, Facilitation and Coordination) is to support the Ministry of Social Solidarity in facilitating the policy formulation process of the Social Protection Strategy, in building consensus around the key elements of the policy and in producing a high quality integrated Social Protection Strategy. This responds directly to UNICEF’s support to MoSS in the development of a new Social Protection Strategy.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
The consultant is responsible for facilitating the policy formulation process of the Social Protection Strategy through the process of key tasks enlisted below:
Lead the development of a Work plan for the Social Protection Strategy Formulation
The expert will support the Ministry of Social Solidarity in preparing a work plan with specific milestones to guide the strategy formulation process. The work plan will also be used to guide the work of the experts and enable the group to ensure the process is on track. The workplan will be used to facilitate consultations at three (3) stakeholder meetings across the country to receive feedback and guidance.
Lead the development of the draft and final detailed Outline of Social Protection Strategy
Once the work plan is in place, the expert will work to identify and analyze key issues and develop a broad outline which includes the key chapters and sections of the strategy. The broad outline will be presented to Minister for Social Solidarity for approval after which more detailed version will be prepared to flesh out the key chapters and sections of the strategy. The expert will support MOSS to convene a half-day stakeholder consultation workshop with relevant ministries to ensure that the outline adequately reflects inter-ministerial priorities and approaches to social protection. The workshop will enable the expert and social protection team to present a coherent outline of Egypt's social protection system for discussion.
Lead the development of the Draft One Social Protection Strategy
On the basis of the approved detailed outline, the expert would prepare the first draft of the strategy.
Lead the development of a PowerPoint Presentation and facilitation of workshops and meetings
This draft 1 of the strategy will be used for a consultation workshop and should be sent to all relevant stakeholders (line ministries and partners) at least one week in advance.
Lead the development of the Consultations Report that collates inputs and comments from the consultation process
The expert and the social protection team would prepare a report summarizing the key issues arising out of these meetings so that there is a proper record of the consultation process and the recommendations from stakeholders.
Lead the development of Draft Two Social Protection Strategy
Based on the issues raised during the consultation process, a new (second) draft of the strategy will be produced. The expert and the social protection team could then hold a final workshop to review this second draft and collate input for the final document.
Lead the development of Final Social Protection Strategy
The Minister will present the second draft to (possibly to the Social Justice Inter-Ministerial Committee) after which the final draft strategy document will be presented to Cabinet.
ACTIVITIES, DELIVERABLES AND TIMELINES, PLUS BUDGET PER DELIVERABLE
The consultant is expected to complete the following deliverables:
1- Final Detailed Outline of the Strategy: the outline of the strategy should not exceed 8 pages and should provide a brief overview of the areas to be covered.
2- Technical and analytical assistance in the formulation of targeting analysis and strategy for poverty related interventions
3- Draft 1 of the National Social Protection Strategy: the draft should be prepared with the Ministry of Social Solidarity and in consultation with other key government stakeholders and development partners.
4- Consultation report of the Draft 1 of the National Social Protection Strategy
5- Draft 2 of the National Social Protection Strategy
6- Final National Social Protection Strategy: the final strategy document should be result of a final stakeholder consultation
7- Lessons learnt and next steps (e.g. legislative process) on progress made vis-a-vis outlined tasks, challenges, etc.
Deliverable 1: 15%
Deliverable 2: 15%
Deliverable 3: 15%
Deliverable 4: 5%
Deliverable 5: 15%
Deliverable 6: 25%
Deliverable 7: 10%
QUALIFICATIONS, SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AND ADDITIONAL COMPETENCIES
For Egyptian Nationals ONLY
- Advanced (Master level) degree in Social Sciences or any relevant area of study
- The consultant must have at least 20 years of proven professional experience in working and writing on complex large scale poverty reduction strategies and/or social development /economic development initiatives in Egypt or the Arab region
- Previous experience in developing and writing official strategy documents on social policy issues
- Knowledge of key documents, reports, studies on social protection, poverty, social and economic development in Egypt
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic, and outstanding facilitation and consultation skills and experience
DESIRED EXPERIENCES and SKILLS
- PhD in economics, social science and other relevant disciplines will be an asset
- Previous experience in facilitating and coordinating the development of policy/cabinet documents on social policy issues in Egypt
- Previous experience in social protection and high level policy advise
- Strong analytical skills, networking and coordination
CONDITIONS OF WORK
Under the general guidance of the Chief of Social Policy, the Lead Senior Policy consultant (Social Protection Strategy Formulation, Facilitation and Coordination) will be seconded at the Ministry of Social Solidarity under the supervision of the Deputy Minister.
NOTE FOR CONSULTANTS AND INDIVIDUAL CONTRACTORS:
Please submit a financial offer along with your proposal (rate quoted in EGP for either daily rate/monthly rate if you accepted this consultancy.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
- Candidates will not be considered if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation or sexual abuse, or crimes other than minor traffic offences, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts.
- UNICEF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Cairo (Egypt)
- Grade: Consultant - Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Social Affairs
- Managerial positions
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Civil Society and Local governance
- Closing Date: 2018-09-17