SVN 2018/204 (P) - Emergency Coordinator (P2) - N'djamena, Chad
Position Title Emergency Coordinator
Duty Station :N'Djamena, Chad Classification Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 12 September 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in IOM Chad, and in close coordination with the Regional Office for Central and West Africa and the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Support Unit in Headquarters (HQs), the successful candidate will supervise the work and staff of the Emergency Unit of IOM Chad, whose programmes are funded by various donors. The unit’s programming includes tracking and monitoring of population movements, Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) data related activities, DTM management, shelter and Non-food Items (NFIs) activities. Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Supervise and undertake emergency programme project implementation, ensuring adequate staffing of all components.
2. Ensure adequate training and participate in building capacity of all staff working under the emergency programmes, including on Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA), protection mainstreaming and Do no Harm.
3. Disseminate complete and timely reports to the donors, in coordination with the Chief of Page 1 / 4Mission as required, as per donor contracts.
4. Maintain and implement functioning monitoring and evaluation systems. 5. Regularly monitor the project progress and ensure timely backstopping and the provision of information on encountered challenges.
6. Ensure strict adherence to shelter and NFI guidelines of the cluster in the implementation of the project.
7. Act as officer-in-charge until the recruitment of the DTM Coordinator and supervise DTM activities. Review existing DTM mechanisms, including mobility tracking, flow monitoring, site assessments, and other information gathering systems. Work in collaboration with the Regional Office and DTM Unit at IOM Geneva Headquarters (HQs) to develop improvements in methodologies and assessment tools to increase analytical capabilities and capture fluid population movement trends in line with global standards.
8. Ensure the provision of timely, accurate, standardized, and adequate information to all relevant stakeholders (humanitarian as well as transition/recovery actors) regarding movements, new displacements, mobility trends, and conditions in return/relocation areas paying special attention to the situation of vulnerable groups including children, elderly, and disabled persons. 9. Share concise analytical reporting in regular intervals in form of dashboards, mapping and narrative reports on general mobility trends as well as specific research. 10. Provide budget and other administrative backstopping for emergency projects, including budget tracking, burn-rate monitoring and financial reporting.
11. Maintain an organized database and narrative reports of all information collected on population mobility.
12. Facilitate the integration of gender perspectives and attention to specific women/girl's and children’s rights issues (vulnerable groups) within all IDPs/returnee activities and make recommendations for improvements.
13. Participate in cluster meetings and assume the support role for cluster coordination as required.
14. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Management, Statistics, Geography, Demography, International Relations, Humanitarian Assistance or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
management, crisis, post conflict and other displacement situations;
• Understanding and respect of IOM’s data protection guidelines;
• Knowledge of MS Office and basic software packages; knowledge of ODK, (GIS), database, SAS and other similar tools would be an advantage;
• Working knowledge of DTM tool(s) and experience in the region is an advantage. Page 2 / 4Languages
Fluency in English and French is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 12 September 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
Page 3 / 4Posting period:
From 30.08.2018 to 12.09.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/204 (P) - Emergency Coordinator (P2) - N'djamena, Chad (55631175) Released Posting: Posting NC55631192 (55631192) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: N'Djamena (Chad)
- Grade: P-2, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Medical Practitioners
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-09-12