Finance Officer NO 2 - Fixed Term, Senegal Country Office - Post # 13561 (National of Senegal only)
Purpose for the job Under the general supervision of the Admin and Finance Specialist, the incumbent manages the area of accounting control, financial transaction recording, reporting of assets, liabilities and income. Monitors the appropriate disbursements of funds and payments of accounts in compliance with the rules and regulations and in accordance with organizational policies, office strategy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Context of the job
As WCARO and the Senegal Country Office moved into shared premises in March 2016, a Common Services Unit (CSU) in some operations units including Finance was established. This new structure is within the structure of the Senegal Country Office.
How can you make a difference?
Purpose for the job
Under the general supervision of the Adminitrative and Finance Specialist, the incumbent manages the area of accounting control, financial transaction recording, reporting of assets, liabilities and income. Monitors the appropriate disbursements of funds and payments of accounts in compliance with the rules and regulations and in accordance with organizational policies, office strategy
Key functions, accountabilities and related duties/tasks
1. Controls and operates bank accounts in accordance with UN/UNICEF financial rules and regulations and local banking practices. Provides up-to-date information on the cash position or status of such accounts. Serves as primary liaison with the bank. Monitors bank statement, keeps abreast of all procedures and regulations regarding the maintenance of bank accounts, exchange rates. Investigate and resolve reconciling items for bank reconciliation a two month time frame.
2. Reviews supporting documents for completeness and accuracy of coding of DCT.
Together with the Finance assistant, ensures accuracy and completeness of information required by GSSC, submit and follow up Finance requests to the GSSC. Communicates with the GSSC, if required, to provide additional or clarifying information. Monitors status of submitted Finance requests through completion. Follows up with the GSSC when a request is in progress and beyond SLA period. Verifies checks, wires prior to submission to signatories.
3. Uses VISION system as appropriate, provides training and orientation to staff on its use and coordinates with ICT team and Global Help Desk/Service Manager system on technical adjustments or irregularities as needed.
4. Oversees petty cash fund disbursements, recording and accounting. Serves as certifying officer for petty cash. Assures that there are monthly cash counts as well as impromptu/unscheduled cash counts.
5. Manages the process for projection of locally paid expenditures, and cash replenishments of the local bank account (bank optimization project). Communicates with CMT members regarding information needs, and verification of needs against proposed expenditures mid-month to ensure appropriate adjustment of projections, and that sufficient but not excessive funds are available in the local account
6. Collaborates with programme section heads in creating and maintaining cost distributions for payroll, ensuring adherence to funding sources/budget categories as per the Post Authorization Table. Monitors draft payroll to assure appropriate consistency and appropriateness of payroll calculations and communicate with payroll unit at HQ to ensure timely payroll processing. Also oversees payroll preparation to assure accuracy of data relevant to overtime or recoveries
7. Briefs the staff on the application and interpretation of UN/UNICEF accounting and financial rules, regulations, procedures and policies. Head of the finance unit. Coaching and supervision of finance colleagues
8. Undertakes visits to Kolda Zonal office or other field sites as necessary to provide accounting and finance training and support, including support to programme in spot-checks and capacity building activities for DCT partners. Establishes and/or reviews systems and procedures for compliance with the rules and regulations, and prepares reports and recommendations
9. Prepares monthly and annual closure of accounts. With regard to oversight of General Ledger, Analyze residual open items in General Ledger account balances. Match and clear open items
10. Responsible for the safekeeping of cash, wires and checks
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
University degree in Accounting, Finance or business Administration
Two years of professional work experience in Finance and Accounting. Experience in an international organization desirable.
Fluency in French and working knowledge of English required. Knowledge of local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
Competencies and level of proficiency required
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (II)
- Drive for results (II)
- Work with people (II)
- Analyzing [I]
- Applying Technical Expertise [II]
- Following Instructions and Procedures [II]
- Planning and Organizing [II]
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
This position is opened for National of Senegal only
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Dakar (Senegal)
- Grade: NO-B, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Junior level
- Banking and Finance
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2018-09-14