homebased with one international travel
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women is committed to the achievement of equality between women, men, boys and girls as partners and beneficiaries of humanitarian action. UN Women is leading and coordinating the United Nations System to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It is providing strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The past 10 years has seen several important normative developments relating to humanitarian action and the transition from response, to recovery, resilience and preparedness. The consolidated commitments to gender equality and women’s empowerment formulated in the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, the SDGs and Security Council Resolution 2242 on Women’s Peace and Security are particularly significant. Furthermore, five World Humanitarian Summit’s core commitments aims to integrate gender equality and women’s empowerment into the humanitarian agenda.
UN Women’s engagement in humanitarian action and crises response has increased in recent years, resulting in the establishment of the Humanitarian Action and Crises Response Office (HACRO) in 2017. Among the HACRO key deliverables in 2018 is an increased focus on partner-led advocacy events to improve the understanding of the challenges faced by women and girls in humanitarian situations, and to promote the empowerment of women and girls in prevention and crises response. UN Women has initiated a new programme on second change education (CSE) and has stepped up its work on cash-based interventions and on the use of blockchain technology. HACRO wishes to recruit a consultant to help with the design and promotion of events and advocacy material for this new engagement.
Purpose and Objective of the Consultancy
The objective of this consultancy is to provide design support for events and for advocacy support material.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work and Responsibilities
- Design one SCE high-level event (8 days)
- Design and layout of 2 SCE publications (6 days)
- Design branding for the SCE in consultation with the SCE Communications Strategy Consultant (3 days)
- Design for two cash and blockchain publications (6 days)
The consultant is expected to deliver the following outputs: Lump sum US$34,450 as per deliverables.
- One high-level SCE event completed (8 days)
- 2 SCE publications designed (6 days)
- SCE branding completed (3 days)
- Blockchain and cash publications completed (6 days)
Core Values and Ethics
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity and able to work in a multi-national environment
- Support the Organization’s corporate goal
- Comply with UN WOMEN rules, regulations and code of conduct
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Build effective client relationships and partnerships
- Interact with all levels of staff in the organization
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Build and share knowledge
- Make valuable practice contributions
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Listen actively and respond effectively
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence
Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others.
Required Skills and Experience
Required Skills and Experience of Consultant
- University Degree in Graphic Design, Arts or related topic
- At least 7 years of experience in the use of graphic art in communications; arts, graphic design, photography or related fields;
- Demonstrated experience in working with different media including photography, graphic arts, communication material and installations;
- Demonstrated experience in leading the design of innovative installations for high level international events, and implementing these installations at these events;
- Experience in developing innovative means of communication;
- Experience in developing exhibitions, material and experience rooms in developing contexts reflecting development challenges, including experience in a crises context;
- Excellent rapport in understanding culturally diverse audiences for messaging;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with a minimum of guidance while seeing consensus, and ability to deliver on target and on time.
- Fluency in the English language required, with strong, confident command of both written and oral English.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide a copy of their portfolio with relevant works, or internet links to events that can demonstrate the above.