Livelihoods Officer x2
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Iraq since 2003 and in Northern Iraq since 2010. It is currently implementing a broad range of activities relevant to conflict affected communities and persons. The activities are categorized in ten sectors: Shelter and Non-food Items, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Livelihoods, Protection, Mine Risk Education, Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM).
About the jobThe Livelihoods Officer is responsible for implementing all aspects of livelihoods and early recovery programme activities in Northern Ninewa, in accordance with project plans.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Implement Livelihoods programme activities, such as beneficiary registration, assessment and counselling, CfW attendance monitoring, livelihoods counselling and training, and cash distributions, as directed by Team Leader and/or Project Manager. Identify and reports challenges and concerns to Team Leader and/or Project Manager, assist in developing solutions.
- Manage LH/ER Assistants and temporary Enumerators, including ensuring satisfactory completion of tasks and responsibilities, identifying performance issues and assisting with the development if Performance Improvement Plans, under guidance of in Team Leader and/or Project Manager.
- Participate in field assessments and surveys such as market assessments, price monitoring, labour market analysis and social cohesion mapping.
- Compile and submit written project updates, assist with the preparation of project reports, human interest stories and other narrative documents as required.
- Assist in preparing the required documentation for the procurement of goods and services (such as CfW supplies, Hawala contractors) in compliance with DRC requirements and delivered in a timely manner.
- Ensure equal participation through all stages of the project from all members of the community, taking into consideration gender, age, ethnic identities and clan and tribal affiliations.
- Conduct activities in a community- and rights-based, participatory manner, maintaining an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD), and conflict-sensitive approach to community engagement.
Ensure that all activities are clearly documented as per DRC’s procedures, requirements, and / or regulations.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Line Manager.
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Iraq programme Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Code of Conduct.
- Make sure to spread a positive image of DRC and its activities by explaining what DRC is doing and why DRC operates in that way.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have the following:
- At least 1 year of relevant professional experience of working with UN or Non-Governmental Organizations preferably in livelihoods.
- Strong written communication skills, experience writing reports or other narrative documents.
- Experience managing staff and leading small teams.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to engage with communities, authorities and other stakeholders.
- Fluent in both Arabic and Kurdish languages, English is a strong advantage.
- Ability to work sensitively with vulnerable people, taking into account gender, age and diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work as part of a team to achieve joint objectives, in a multicultural context.
- Ability to act calmly in tense situations, handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion, and act with transparency and integrity.
- Solution-oriented approach, with strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Detail oriented, with ability to organise and manage information, plan and manage workload, prioritise, and deliver to deadlines.
- Demonstrable understanding of the local context, key humanitarian issues and displacement trends.
- Competence in basic Microsoft Office software (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook etc)
- Willingness and capacity to work in the field and travel frequently to project sites as required.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 3 months (renewable based on both funding and performance).
Start date: ASAP
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. .
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking HERE or on the apply button.
Closing date for applications: 8 Sep, 2018. Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Zummar District
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Food Security, Livestock and Livelihoods
- Closing Date: 2018-09-08