Education Officer- Construction (National Position)
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC in Iraq
The unfolding crisis in Iraq is one of the most complex humanitarian emergencies in the world today, with millions of uprooted Iraqis, and hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees. For the past several years, millions of people have been displaced from and within Iraq as a result of military operations. At the end of 2015, the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) began a military operation to enter and retake control of parts of the country under the control of armed opposition groups, especially in the Anbar governorate. Civilians have been caught in the crossfire.
NRC has been present in Iraq since 2010, with offices located in Baghdad, Erbil, Dohuk, Kirkuk, and Mosul. We have scaled up our response across Iraq to meet the large-scale crisis facing the country, reaching Iraqis with emergency assistance and supporting Syrian refugees as they live in exile. Our goal is to always be prepared to work in new settings, so we are establishing more local partnerships in Iraq. Additionally, NRC is part of the UNICEF and WFP-led Rapid response mechanism (RRM), which enables us to reach newly displaced populations with the most urgent life-saving assistance.
Today, NRC is one of the biggest cash providers in Iraq. Our emergency assistance also includes distributing food rations, hygiene kits, water and basic non-food items (NFIs). In the winter months, we also provide blankets and heaters. We pay particular attention to gender equality and ending gender-based violence (GBV).
Education Officer-Construction- Dohuk
The purpose of the assistant position is to assist in the day to day implementation of the Livelihoods projects, conducting community-based activities, ensuring community-involvement and assisting with open dialogue/communications between NRC and targeted communities.
Role Specific Information
- Conduct initial and in-depth site assessments of schools.
- Prepare BoQ and develop construction timeline.
- Design schools in accordance with 2D & 3D programmes.
- Supervise education construction work in the sites.
- Coordinate with the technical units of the local education authorities (Directorate of Education, camp management, and Board of Relief and Humanitarian Aid) to ensure the BoQs and drawings are in line with the ministry of education guidelines.
- Raise procurement requests with supporting documents (BoQ and drawings).
- Prepare quantitative and qualitative progress reports.
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by line manager.
Our Ideal Candidate:
A university graduate in a relevant field(s) with minimum 2 years’ experiences as an Officer (Construction) in humanitarian/recovery settings, especially in complex and volatile environments. Fluency in Arabic, Kurdish and a solid knowledge of English is required. Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct.
Contract period: 4 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions & health insurance is provided.
Duty station: Dohuk
For more information, please find the attached job description.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Dohuk (Iraq)
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Education, Learning and Training
- Administrative support
- Architecture, Building and Property Management
- Closing Date: 2018-09-17